Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General election 2011- Mayo

Options
  • 22-11-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Well the Greens are pulling out in early January. Election to be held after that. What will change this time around. Will Fine Gael get the four seats. Will Fianna FAIL get two seats. In My Opinion this is who will top the poll.

Michael Ring. (Fine Gael)
    Enda Kenny. (Fine Gael)
    John O Mahoney. (Fine Gael)
    Michelle Mulhern. (Fine Gael)
    Dara Calleary. (Fianna FAIL)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

None of the above. We must strive to move away from this type of politics.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ABSOLUTELY!!! I am sick to the face of the bunch of muppets we have.

Michael Ring. (Fine Gael) - A jibbering mouthpiece, educated in what, managed what? Just because he can talk and visit 500 funerals a week doesn't mean he can be involved in taking this titanic back out of the water

Enda Kenny. (Fine Gael) - A quiff, not else, had plenty of respect for him but thats gone in the last 6 months, hasn't the answers. A teacher, again I ask how can a teacher help us run the country?

John O Mahoney. (Fine Gael) - Got in on the back of the Mayo job, again another teacher, just because teachers have taught us to get honours in X-Y-Z doesn't mean they know how to run my country.

Michelle Mulhern. (Fine Gael) - Umm, know nothing about her, don't know her background. Whats her experience?

Dara Calleary. (Fianna FAIL) - He does seem to be the best of a bad bad lot, but by association he has FAILED. Was his Dad not a politician, if he wasn't would Dara have got in?
    Remove this family linked "Right" to represent us.

Personally I don't any of them near the Dail, remembering that Dail is one letter off Fail, and thats what anyone in there regardless of party has been part of.
    If a strong member of industry in Mayo went to represent us then I would vote for them, if they represent us and have 4 or 5 "prongs" spread throughout the County isn't this better than having 4 politicians up there who really add nothing to the County of Mayo.

Just my opinion btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

With all due respect yop, at least four of the people on your list there will get back in and by abstaining from voting, then you are only preventing yourself from getting that little bit of a choice that democracy gives you. The same idiots will still get back in otherwise.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

With all due respect yop, at least four of the people on your list there will get back in and by abstaining from voting, then you are only preventing yourself from getting that little bit of a choice that democracy gives you. The same idiots will still get back in otherwise.

Thats the thing, no I won't abstain, I just hope that someone with a bit of real living experience can come on board.
    Currently there isn't anyone.

As you said, they will get in, there isn't any other choice for us :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Jim Higgins could make a comeback from Europe. I always admired him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I got a "News Update" today along with my post from Bev Flynn, I suppose there will be plenty of this junk mail over the next while. Reading it she comes across as Wonder Woman!

I wonder will Jerry Cowley get in this time for Labour? I'm not sure what to make of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I got a "News Update" today along with my post from Bev Flynn, I suppose there will be plenty of this junk mail over the next while. Reading it she comes across as Wonder Woman!

I wonder will Jerry Cowley get in this time for Labour? I'm not sure what to make of him.

he didnt cover himself in glory last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Nice sound byte and fairly populous.....however lacks backbone as you made no proposal in place of the mainstream parties?

You could argue that whoever gets into power has their hands tied as the country is committed to €15bn over the next 4 years and that the real power is with Chopra and Ollie Rehn. Certainly listening to liveline and the contributions from the relatives of the 1916 rising and loss of sovereignty this feeling is out there that we have lost a certain amount of democracy. Populous again but it has some merit. For example, Ollie Rehn has stated publicly that Ireland is no longer a low tax economy.

Maybe instead of voting people could consider their input into the state via their tax contribution.....:cool: . It is a fair comment to make that the democracy of Ireland is now tied up with the the tax payers of Germany, France etc.

I think the interesting angle in Mayo is will FF return a TD? With their rating from the latest opinion poll prior to recent events at 17% that means nationally they will be returning 20 TDs.....Currently they have 75 (I think?).

Will the Mayo Public have a blood letting on the FFers? A comment from one economic observer on Primetime the other night was how the Irish citizens/electorate have taken their medicine without any protests like the Greek or as the French do taking to the streets. Maybe we are too placid, proud to protest and with this fiasco fresh in Mayo voters minds, may unleash our wrath on FFers canvassing for Calleary & Beverly?

This is where politics becomes a sport......:P as long as you are watching on the sidelines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I think Michelle Mulhern should have her chance. Dara well, whats the point having a opposition TD in the Dail. Paddy Power odds are it will be Fine Gael/Labour, So Mayo would be best served with as many FG TD's as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

ABM - Anyone but Mulherin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Mulherin - don't agree with ILucy - Michelle is a very able candidate.

She might have made it last time with more support from her party. They favoured John O'Mahoney over her. they should have supported a younger candidate such as her in the main centre of population.

Could I suggest to YOP that (s)he take a less cynical view of the candidates. They are all decent people trying to do their best for their community, albeit with different styles and backgrounds.

Is this what you mean?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1123/1224283932871.html?via=mr

nuac wrote: »
    Re Mulherin - don't agree with ILucy - Michelle is a very able candidate.

She might have made it last time with more support from her party. They favoured John O'Mahoney over her. they should have supported a younger candidate such as her in the main centre of population.

I have seen her in the council chamber....looks great and has the sound bytes that secure her place in the local meedja.....my impression was and still is that there is no substance to her. She has a placid demeanour and it will be intersting to see if she gets in how her steel will secure extra infrastructure for the region, given the fiscal handcuffs that are on the state.

With Calleary waiting in the wings to return the compliements that she has doled out to FF as an opposition councillor will test her mettle further. Agin, more sport from the sidelines......

Is it just me or has Inda been keeping his head down over the last week or so....not a meg out of him regarding the current crisis? James Reilly, Varadkar, Brian Hayes and Richard Bruton have been out to bat, maybe Inda's handlers have reined him in so that he doesn't make the situation worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

finisklin wrote: »
    ....my impression was and still is that there is no substance to her. She has a placid demeanour and it will be intersting to see if she gets in how her steel will secure extra infrastructure for the region, given the fiscal handcuffs that are on the state.

S it's all about electing people who will deliver to their political base is it? The kind of clientilist politics that has contributed to the present mess.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    ABM - Anyone but Mulherin!

Based on the substance and quality of your post, perhaps you should stand yourself - NOT!! Michelle Mulherin is a fine politician, educated and articulate with a high degree of common sense. She is a terrier, exactly what is needed rather than the lackeys we have like Calleary. Look for the reports of the last Ballina Town Council meeting for evidence of this.

We are certainly challenged in terms of the quality of politician we have, but we can only elect whoever will stand and its rare for enterpreneurial type people to put themselves in front of others to make a decision on their futures, i.e. by way of allowing their names on the ballot paper. These people want to be in control of their own actions and activities at all times. These people similarly, want action and progress at a rapid rate, not something that is associated with the civil service or government. So why would they put their names forward

In addition to this, remember that the kind of electoral system we employ, means that the "sociable" rather than the intelligent candidate gets elected. Hence we get a particular quality of clientelle.

From a positive perspective, I would agree that most of the Mayo candidates feel that they are contributing something positive. The 3 FG TD's were caught by virtue of being in opposition and hence could not by definition, deliver a lot for the county. Enda Kenny, Michael Ring and John O Mahony have all proven themselves to be hard workers. They have stiven to bring what they could to their constuents at all times. Enda in particular has worked tirelessly to ensure that the FG party came back from the brink of extinction. Something, no-one else had an appetite for at the time.

Beverley was regarded as being outside the FF ranks and as a result her delivery was compromised. I think her stance in relation to Cancer services at Mayo General Hospital will come back to bite her.

The only chance we had a delivery was Calleary and to be honest, he has proven himself as relatively incapable of doing so. He has tried to align himself to some recent positive news in the Ballina area, but to be honest, his role in delivery of anything related to it was minimal in my opinion. I could never understand why Cowen would give him a ministry, albeit Junior. Then again, when you think that Cowen also promoted Minister "Say a Prayer" O Cuiv, from Community Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, where he made a balls of things, to the Department of Social Protection where he was in charge of the single biggest budget of all Departments, even dwarfing Health, says it all!! :(

Cowley has had his run and not delivered anything. His alignment to the Rossport 5 probably spelt the end for him, typified by the the fact that he got something like 4 votes in that particular ballot box last time out!!

You will have others like Kilcoyne running as independents. In my opinion, he and his likes will have little to contribute in a new govenment in the sense that they won't, thank god, hold any balance of power. It seems pretty clear that FG and Labour will have a significant enough majority not to need independents help.

Its hard to know what impact Kilcoyne and the anti Govenment sentiment will have on Beverley Flynn in the Castlebar area, such that she could lose her seat. Similarly, Calleary certainly has not delivered outside Ballina and if Michelle Mulherin makes a dent in his vote there, and he has some slippage through anti government sentiment and non delivery outside Ballina, he could well be in trouble too.

I agree that the best result for Mayo is to get 4 FG TD's in the next government, and while I know I will get slated for us, we might have a chance of getting our fair share as a county, something which hasn't happened for many years given the level of government representation we have had, their ability and the status within the Govt. ranks. What a flippin pity we get strength (hopefully!) at a time when the cupboard is bare!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Talking about 'the region' or being better represented is part of the problem with our electoral system.
    TD's represent their own area. They have clinics in their local constituencies which are attended by people who want things they are not entitled to (under the rules - not necessarily morally).
    We need people in government who consider the country as their region and don't give their allegiance to any one part of it. Let local government interact with the government of the country on your behalf.
    I want to be governed by a group of people who will do their best for me and mine no matter where I live.
    Look at the way Enda Kenny is perceived. I am not particularly a fan of his (or any other politician!) but the fact that he is not from within the Pale will probably cost Fine Gael votes.
    We have to get over our tribal way of thinking (me included!).

And to those who would like people from business background and less teachers you will be out of luck.
    I think I am correct in saying that when a public servant runs for office, their position is held open for them should they wish to return (not get re-elected!). Someone from the private sector doesn't have that luxury.

All pretty depressing really. :(

I do think Fianna Fail will still get votes - e.g. someone who votes FF in Mayo will go 'sure what did poor Dara have to do with it, was the Dublin crowd caused it'. Replicate that around each electoral area substituting Dublin with whatever and what do we have?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Avns1s wrote: »
    Based on the substance and quality of your post, perhaps you should stand yourself - NOT!! Michelle Mulherin is a fine politician, educated and articulate with a high degree of common sense. She is a terrier, exactly what is needed rather than the lackeys we have like Calleary. Look for the reports of the last Ballina Town Council meeting for evidence of this.

We are certainly challenged in terms of the quality of politician we have, but we can only elect whoever will stand and its rare for enterpreneurial type people to put themselves in front of others to make a decision on their futures, i.e. by way of allowing their names on the ballot paper. These people want to be in control of their own actions and activities at all times. These people similarly, want action and progress at a rapid rate, not something that is associated with the civil service or government. So why would they put their names forward

In addition to this, remember that the kind of electoral system we employ, means that the "sociable" rather than the intelligent candidate gets elected. Hence we get a particular quality of clientelle.

From a positive perspective, I would agree that most of the Mayo candidates feel that they are contributing something positive. The 3 FG TD's were caught by virtue of being in opposition and hence could not by definition, deliver a lot for the county. Enda Kenny, Michael Ring and John O Mahony have all proven themselves to be hard workers. They have stiven to bring what they could to their constuents at all times. Enda in particular has worked tirelessly to ensure that the FG party came back from the brink of extinction. Something, no-one else had an appetite for at the time.

Beverley was regarded as being outside the FF ranks and as a result her delivery was compromised. I think her stance in relation to Cancer services at Mayo General Hospital will come back to bite her.

The only chance we had a delivery was Calleary and to be honest, he has proven himself as relatively incapable of doing so. He has tried to align himself to some recent positive news in the Ballina area, but to be honest, his role in delivery of anything related to it was minimal in my opinion. I could never understand why Cowen would give him a ministry, albeit Junior. Then again, when you think that Cowen also promoted Minister "Say a Prayer" O Cuiv, from Community Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, where he made a balls of things, to the Department of Social Protection where he was in charge of the single biggest budget of all Departments, even dwarfing Health, says it all!! :(

Cowley has had his run and not delivered anything. His alignment to the Rossport 5 probably spelt the end for him, typified by the the fact that he got something like 4 votes in that particular ballot box last time out!!

You will have others like Kilcoyne running as independents. In my opinion, he and his likes will have little to contribute in a new govenment in the sense that they won't, thank god, hold any balance of power. It seems pretty clear that FG and Labour will have a significant enough majority not to need independents help.

Its hard to know what impact Kilcoyne and the anti Govenment sentiment will have on Beverley Flynn in the Castlebar area, such that she could lose her seat. Similarly, Calleary certainly has not delivered outside Ballina and if Michelle Mulherin makes a dent in his vote there, and he has some slippage through anti government sentiment and non delivery outside Ballina, he could well be in trouble too.

I agree that the best result for Mayo is to get 4 FG TD's in the next government, and while I know I will get slated for us, we might have a chance of getting our fair share as a county, something which hasn't happened for many years given the level of government representation we have had, their ability and the status within the Govt. ranks. What a flippin pity we get strength (hopefully!) at a time when the cupboard is bare!! :rolleyes:

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

He said at the time that he had found his natural home in Labour. You wonder about anyone that takes that long to find their "natural" home. Surely you would be there straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I got a "News Update" today along with my post from Bev Flynn, I suppose there will be plenty of this junk mail over the next while.

Got one also and was tempted to put "return to sender" and leave it in the Post Office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement