Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas versus Merry Christmas

Options
  • 22-11-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both can be used but somehow I associate Merry Christmas with America rather than Ireland/UK.

Which do you use?
    Is there a more proper one for us in Ireland?

Which do you use? 34 votes

Happy Christmas
    0% 0 votes
    Merry Christmas
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Think it is now changing to Happy Holidays or Seasons Greatings to be more PC.

I however use happy christmas.

*there is a little Muslim girl in my sons class and i asked her mom if my son could give her a Xmas card and she said it was fine they give them out as well, I thought i might offend her if my son gave her daughter an Xmas card....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

See if I'm writing a Christmas card I'd say 'Merry' Christmas and a 'Happy' New Year...can't use happy twice.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

+1.

It's Happy Christmas, unless you're also wishing them a Happy New Year. Related, I still remember the absolute bollocking I got from my mother when I wrote Happy Xmas on all my cards for my classmates when I was about 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

corblimey wrote: »
    +1.

It's Happy Christmas, unless you're also wishing them a Happy New Year. Related, I still remember the absolute bollocking I got from my mother when I wrote Happy Xmas on all my cards for my classmates when I was about 10.

I only write to's and from's on the card, no sentimental stuff, the cards state happy xmas or so on, on the front or in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Merry New Year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Like others have said I say 'Happy Christmas' unless I'm following it up with a 'Happy new year.'
    I hate all this 'Happy holidays' stuff. So American! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

we are not american - we are Irish - its not Happy Holidays, etc. its Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

You can say "Happy Easter", "Happy St Particks Day" etc, but Christmas is special, it gets a "Merry". It just sounds right!

Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

.....see this is why I say.....:)

"Bright Blessings" to you and yours..:)

And A Healthy and Prosperous New Year..:)

Surely nobody could be upset or offended by this.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

littlemis wrote: »
    .....see this is why I say.....:)

"Bright Blessings" to you and yours..:)

And A Healthy and Prosperous New Year..:)

Surely nobody could be upset or offended by this.:)
    I think I'd be very confused if somebody said 'Bright Blessings' to me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I say Happy Christmas but Merry Christmas does sound more festive and warm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Posy wrote: »

No need to be confused, IT means what it says,may you have, many bright blessings in your life,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I prefer Merry Christmas and hence use it the most. It just sounds... warmer than Happy Christmas or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

"Merry Christmas", most people feel that way late on Christmas Eve.:pac:

And a "Happy New Year", is usually said to all you meet on the way home from the pub on New Years Morning.

So I'd go with Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Think it is now changing to Happy Holidays or Seasons Greatings to be more PC.

I however use happy christmas.

*there is a little Muslim girl in my sons class and i asked her mom if my son could give her a Xmas card and she said it was fine they give them out as well, I thought i might offend her if my son gave her daughter an Xmas card....
    we have many friends that are muslims,who send us christmas cards,to muslims jesus is also very important as a islamic prophet,if you go to karachi [pakistan] or many other islamic countries,at christmas time, you may see a christmas tree in shop windows,mary christmas [santas wife]

• Posy wrote: »
    "Bright Blessings" is weird. It's like something they'd say in Africa or the third world. If I said it to somebody out and about I'd expect funny looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I actually don't know, I haven't thought of it until now. I use a combination of both, whatever comes out first really, although last year I told someone to have a "Merpy Christmas"

If I'm saying happy new year too I'll definitely say merry Christmas. Sounds weird saying happy Christmas and happy new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Happy Santa's Birthday" is the traditional greeting in my parent's house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

"Bright Blessings" is weird. It's like something they'd say in Africa or the third world. If I said it to somebody out and about I'd expect funny looks.

It's an american neo pagan expression.

• Advertisement

• Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's an american neo pagan expression.
    Yeah that was my next guess! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

bit about happy versus merry christmas on wikipedia here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_greetings

for me it's gotta be "HAPPY CHRISTMAS!"

Advertisement