Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re Commodore Amiga - faulty floppy

• 22-11-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I hope someone can give me some ideas:
    I sold a Commodore Amiga via adverts, the console along with an Atari were tested and played with for a bit, tested again,and then stored for over 3 years.
    The buyer has had some problems with them so I am trying to help resolve the problem, which is that the floppy wont read any discs, and it keeps saying that the disk in the drive is not a dos disc.
    I know that lots of problems with these older consoles can be very easily fixed for someone who knows more about them than I do - any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Adding, yes I have googled...Too much info though...:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For a start, fair play for trying to help a customer out three years after a sale! I wish manufacturers would offer that kind of support :pac:

Do you know what kind of Amiga it is? A600/A1200 etc?

Might be an obvious one, but are you sure the person is using Amiga disks and not just standard floppies?

It was an Amiga A1200 I think.
    It was sold as a bundle with about 150 games!
    Just thinking maybe it needed a startup disc or something before its able to play the discs?

I received this response from an answers type website.
    Providing that the discs you're trying to read aren't game discs (which typically aren't bootable into Workbench), you may need a new floppy disk drive. I would suggest trying either Software Hut (www.softhut.com), AmigaKit (www.amigakit.com), or eBay.com--one of them should have an extra floppy drive in stock.

Are floppy drives expensive or should we try something else instead.

Master of the Universe

Is he able to get the Amiga to boot up to workbench? I know with my Amiga I can't have a game disk in the drive when it boots up or nothing happens. I have to boot it without a disk.

If it is just the floppy drive they're pretty inexpensive -

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106

Also something you won't be happy to hear, the A1200 is prone to capacitor failure. My one is off at the moment having the caps replaced.

I don't know how tech savvy this guy is, but the thing to do now with an Amiga is to fit a compact flash harddrive. Means you don't need to use disks at all, the games just boot from a harddrive. Really worth looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Do people not have brains here?
    Maybe.maybe not, but they do have manners:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Tell him to try a brand new disk in it. How many old disks did you give him with the Amiga? Always worth seeing if a computer will at least read disks that it has formatted and written to itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Maybe.maybe not, but they do have manners:rolleyes:

Nice work on the quote :cool: Pity the post is gone now, would have been a nice one to report for trolling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do people not have brains here?,heres what could be wrong No dos type disk can happen for many reasons,lets go through it- 1-He could be trying to copy or read a game copy protected disk in workbench os,this can give the message 2-First of all,lets see if the actual drive works,turn on amiga without floppy,hear for clicking noise,insert disk,and wait for it to spin,as far as we know it should be working if it gives no dos message,it could be a simple matter of cleaning the drive with floppy disk cleaning kit which can be got from ebay. 3-The disks could have be formatted over on a pc. 4-Disks can be faulty or covered in gunk,depending on their storage. caps leak,mmm wonder who told you about that in first place?.

Here's the quote in full.

Imo it's insulting to the decent folk here who give honest advice with the best of intentions. He's better off keeping his knowledge to himself if the above is the only way he can post it.

Master of the Universe

Do people not have brains here?

I can't report this post. Ban for abuse please. Trolly mc troll face is going too far.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can't report this post. Ban for abuse please. Trolly mc troll face is going too far.

Speaking purely as a poster here on A&R, (and not as a moderator on a different forum), I fully agree. Boards.ie rule number 1 is be civil to each other. Hope I'm not stepping on your toes here Ciderman by saying that :) It's purely an observation on my part, not a recommended course of action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

o1s1n wrote: »

I agree.

He'll probably come back with another account though. The guy doesn't have the self-control to stop posting or visiting here. I don't get why he's started to troll here and still act "normal" on another retro site.

Another thing I find odd is writing a detailed post on the topic and then just deleting it for no reason. It seems like a waste of time to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

afaik you cant delete a post only forum mods can(you can edit so that its blank).Open to correction on it though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

afaik you cant delete a post only forum mods can(you can edit so that its blank).Open to correction on it though
    You can delete your post now and you'll have proof.;)

You can delete your own posts. Admins, CMods & forum mods would still be able to see it though - incase your reading this Stone roses :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Hi. I am the person who bought the Amiga 1200 and the Atari 1040STE. The Issue is the Amiga boots up to the purple screen asking for a disk. I have tried @ 6 workbench floppy ranging from 2.3 to 3.5 and I get the same error all the time. SO as you can see I am unable to boot up to the workbench.
    I have been in contact with BengaLover and explained the issue and I have enclosed screen shot as well. I have to say a big THANK YOU to BengaLover for trying to reslove the issue. Now before I contacted them I had tested the floppy, after I replaced the Power supply as that died on me as well.
    I will be using a SD floppy emulator as the Atari ST flopy has failed as well , and I can use the same SD floppy emulator for both machines....Does anyone know where I can get one over here. I have found one on ebay for @ £65.00, just wondering.

I did have a website link for parts, think it was on a sticky somewhere here on this category? They were priced quite reasonable too.

Advertisement