Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

• 22-11-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I took up running last January both to improve fitness and help to lose weight. Originally my intention was to run The Great Ireland run which I completed but then like nmost of you one thing led to another and I became hooked and ended up doing that Marathon.

My best times for the year are listed below and although not very quick they give me something to improve on next year.

My ultimate goal is Dublin next year as I have unfinished business to attend to there :)

5k N/A
    5m 42:54* (Adidas race series )
    10k 56:59 (Boyne 10k May '10)
    10m 1:32:38 (Adidas race series)
    Half Marathon 2:03:35 (Adidas race series)
    Marathon 4:59:11 (DCM)

Any comments anyone has or anything that will help me in anyway is great. I have followed a lot of the threads especially the sub 4:30 DCM thread and even participated in one of the Saturday morning runs in the park.

My next race planned is the Aware 10K and although the course in the park is harder than the Boyne 10K I will be hoping to improve on my time for above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Picked up my new Garmin 405 at the weekend and even though I was out on Fri & Sat night had to try it out yesterday.

Very inpressed with the information it gives me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57485832

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Love the tread name, its what we all aspire to!!

Slow and steady will get us there hopefully!

Good luck with your 2011 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on DCM and starting this log. Best of luck with the Aware run and smashing that PB :)

Thanks Guys. Was in the gym last night. Doing a few sessions a week to try and improve my core strength over the winter. Hoping to get out this evening for a run.

Anyone doing the 10K in The Heath this coming Sunday. Might be down that area so thinking about it if I am.

Went out on Tuesday for just under a 5K loop. Only posting now as had a problem uploading from my garmin.

splits of:

5:28
    5:21
    5:14
    5:44
    5:27 pace for last .6K

Legs were quite heavy after a session in the gym on Monday and was in the Gym again on Wednesday. Hoping to get out for a nice slow run over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Well finally a bit of a thaw on the way. Have been keeping busy with the gym and some good interval sessions on the treadmill.

Anyone else mad to get back out on the roads?

Was meant to do the aware 10K tomorrow but this has been cancelled until the 15th Jan.

3 runs since my last post. Keen to take advantage before the bad weather hits again.

Fri 10th

7.8K (45:35) - Splits of 6:35, 5:42, 5:34, 5:55, 5:18, 5:23, 5:40 and last .8K at 6:26 pace.

Started off slow worried about underfoot and the last .8K was a struggle probably due to lack of recent runs. Also think I stopped the garmin with about 200 metres to go by mistake.

Mon 13th

8K (45:50) - Splits of 5:33, 5:25, 5:47, 5:47, 5:36, 5:39, 5:54, 6:18

Pretty even splits until the last 2K where there was a dip in form. Last 1K is mostly uphill but should not be that much different. With it being dark I do not check pace very often but its amazing that some parts of the run you feel your going well and some you feel like your struggling but the pace is similar.

Tue 14th

10K (56:20) - Splits of 6:02, 5:58, 5:27, 5:41, 5:44, 5:51, 5:27, 5:22, 5:41, 5:25

Ran with a friend I had not run with before but went really well. Started off slow but felt really strong during the whole run and finished very strong. Think it helps running with someone else as you tend to maybe push yourself more or have less time to dwell on other things.

Well folks the snow has been keeping me from my laptop the last couple of days. Managed to sneak another run in last Thursday before the snow came back. Again with a friend of mine.

9.95K completed in 55:40 with splits of:

6:03
    5:54
    5:34
    5:37
    5:39
    5:41
    5:25
    5:15
    5:32
    Last .95K at 5:10 pace

Please with the latest couple of runs and definitly hoping to go under 55 mins in Aware 10K after Christmas. Took me 1:03 for the bup run last year on same course.

How much running are people hoping to get in over Xmas?

Hoping to get out on 26th if the thaw comes myself.

Happy xmas to everyone and hope Santa comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Good time in training the other day.

55.40 for 9.95k in training suggests to me that you'll easily beat 55mins for your aware 10k. In race situation, i'd imagine you could knock a couple of minutes off your training time.

Hi folks,

Well 2 runs from last week to update on.

Tuesday did 4.87 miles (start and finish at home) in 44:02 at 9min avg pace. This is probably quicker than I have been running this route in a long time although I wouldn't be trying to run based on time (I did not check time or pace during the run)

Did a Chi Running workshop with Catherina McKiernan on Saturday and picked up so great advise from her.

Went out for a run last night in the frost and although again watching for step with frost and trying to just enjoy it ran the same route in 42:56 with avg pace of 8:48.

Only out twice during the week as was in the gym 3 times. How many others are spending time in the gym at this time of year and do you feel the benefit of it to your running?

Finding it hard to balance both at the moment.

Anyway Aware 10K this weekend to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

well done on bringing down your times pistol 75,you are flying it literally:).I would love to do de workshop,how did you find it..Havent done de gym at all this year but gonna have soon to go back to strenghten the core and back muscles

well done on bringing down your times pistol 75,you are flying it literally:).I would love to do de workshop,how did you find it..Havent done de gym at all this year but gonna have soon to go back to strenghten the core and back muscles

Thanks specialk1977. As a relative newbie to running I found the course to be of great benefit. I think it would be of benefit to anybody especially people that may have suffered with injuries. A big focus in the course is running with the correct posture.

9.63K last night in 52:45 as follows

5:44
    5:28
    5:27
    5:37
    5:34
    5:33
    5:07
    5:13
    5:31
    5:34 pace for last .63K

Hoping for a sub 55 on Saturday now in the Aware 10K. Either way will set up a good time to try and beat for a couple of other 10K's laster on in the year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63795885

Well Saturday morning was not pleasant but there was a good turnout in the park for this re-arranged run. Had hoped to run under 55mins but was shocked when I finished just under the 50 minute mark. That was a PB by 7 mins on a much harder course and 11 minutes quicker than my time for the Great Ireland Run last year which was my first 10K.

Really happy with a time like that so early in the year.

Well guys,

Its been a while but decided to resurrect this log to help keep me motivated and from reading other peoples logs.

The long and the short of it is that I have been training away and did some Urban Trails runs over the winter to keep me going.

Did the GIR and went off too quickly and wilted in the second half. Had to walk 2 or 3 times and finished in 53:40 (had been hoping for sub 50). Think the problem was the heat and had done an 8K race the day before.

Doing the Boyne 10K this sunday and hope to go under 50 mins there but will definitly run the first half more conservativly and see how I feel after that.

Then running Dundalk half on 4th May and Kildare half on 15th May so a busy few weeks coming up.

Only half marathon before was race series last year and ran 2:03. Was originally hoping to break 1:50 in either of these but last few weeks have been busy with holidays etc so might have to let that one slide. Still will see how it goes on the days.

Most recent run was last night where I met up with an old work colleague who is a serious runner (2:50 Dublin last year).

Picked up lots of tips from him and did 4.75 miles in just over 40 mins.

Hi guys,

Any races I have done in the last year+ have all been in the morning sometime. Normally I will have porridge, banana and water with some berocca and this does me.

Have a 10K on Sunday starting at 7pm and a 1/2 marathon next Wednesday at 6:30pm.

Looking for some advice from people on how they prepare food wise for runs later in the day?

6.6 miles this evening with a friend.

Splits of:

8:37
    8:17
    8:13
    8:14
    8:11
    7:53
    8:48 for last .6

Guy I was running with is a serious runner and although we ran at my pace he pushed me at least once a mile to increase pace for a minute. Felt good most of the time.

Last run before Boyne 10K on Sunday. Would love to run sub 50. Will see how I feel on the day. Fingers crossed.

Anyone any feedback on the post above?

Did Boyne 10K on Sunday evening. Approx 1000 people took part and the event was really well run by Drogheda & District A.C.

Was a bit congested at the start but got going ok after 100 metres or so and was determined not to make the mistake of the GIR and set off to fast. Was hoping to break 50 minutes this time.

Set off fine and hit the 1K bang on 5 mins. Had rained myself back in a little bit as knew there was a bit of a climb in the second K of the race. Came through the second K in 4:57 with the hill out of the way and felt strong. Knew then I felt a lot better than the GIR and a decent time was possible. The next couple of K's were flattish or had a couple of inclines followed by a decline. Crossed the bridge to the battle of the boyne site around 5K and then it was back to Drogheda but into a strong headwind. Was consistently hitting around the 4:50 mark for each K back to Drogheda but knew there was a couple of sharp inclines in the last K so needed something in the tank. Also with the wind was hard to go flat out anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised that the markers seemed to be coming quicker. Hit the last K and knew I was safe for sub 50. Was one sharp rise into the town for about 50 metres and then back up the main street where there was great encouragement. Last 100 metres was probably steepest of the race but felt strong and powered up it.

Finished in 48:26. Really thrilled with the time as was not that confident after GIR and being away on holidays 2 weeks before.

Must be mad for punishment as now have the Dundalk Half Marathon on Wednesday evening. Will be treating this more as a training run with it being so soon after the 10K. Still looking to improve my PB of 2:03 odd from last years Race series with the hope of hitting 1:50 in the Kildare half marathon on 15th May.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83509656

Did the Dundalk Half Marathon last night and had planned to run it as preperation for the Kildare 1/2 Sunday Week. Printed a wristband for 1:55 pace (8:46 miles) which I felt would be taking it easy enough after the 10K on Sunday evening.

Started off fine and there was only a few hundred doing the 1/2 with a lot more doing a 10K which was starting slightly later. Started slowly as I thought but was under 8 minute pace. At this stage I decided to put the brakes on as best I could. Still hit 2 miles in 16 minutes and 3 miles in 24:15. At this stage the legs didn't feel too bad but was conscious that the longest I had run in recent weeks was around 12 miles.

Decided at this stage to shelve the 1:55 plans and keep plodding along and see how it went. Wasn't sure how I was going to feel at the end of the race but might go close to my original target for Kildare which was 1:50.

Kept up a steady pace with 8:17, 8:16, 8:13 for miles 4,5,6 which brought us back into the town to start the second lap. Was still conscious that had to do it all over again but also knew there was only a couple of inclines awaiting me.

Mile 7 & 8 around & back out of the town were 8:05 & 8:09 and these were followed by my slowest mile of 8:29 which involved a bit of climbing. At this stage I knew if I could keep in the 8:20's I should go sub 1:50.

Mile 10 & 11 followed with 8:16 & 8:26. At this stage we were headed back into town and one part was into a really strong headwind for about 600 metres. Legs were hurting a bit at this stage but that was to be expected. Were passing plenty of the stragglers from the 10K as well.

Just tried to keep good running form and keep plodding along. Mile 12 & 13 couldn't end quick enough and did them in 8:12 & 8:14 and then put in a bit of a spurt for the end to finish in 1:48:12.

Was so thrilled with myself. This is only my second half marathon after the race series last year which I ran in 2:03:xx.

A PB by 15 odd minutes.

Makes all the training and runs on the cold winter nights worthwhile now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great running, congrats on the pb!

• Advertisement

That's great running, congrats on the new PB

Met up in the park with digger, claralara, jcsmum, shazkea, Nules10 and Aimman. Wasn't sure how the legs would be after 1/2 marathon last Wednesday but was hoping to do minimum 10.

Great morning and lovely to chat to the others on the way round. Digger & Aimman turned sadistic bringing us up Knockmaroon hill :eek: at one stage and got to see farmleigh for the first time as well. Legs felt good but decided to settle close on 14 miles and not over do it.

13.71 miles @ 9:38 avg pace.

Good going; nice to meet you today. Knew you wouldn't be that cruel to bring us up that hill...twas all the other 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Good going; nice to meet you today. Knew you wouldn't be that cruel to bring us up that hill...twas all the other 2!
    +1 you had a great pace going around. well done

In Germany with work this week until Thursday night so all over the place regarding training. Did manage to get out for a quick run yesterday evening. Just a pityful 3.26 miles @ 9:58 pace. Was a nice run in the heat and as my running partner is 15 weeks pregnant it was at her pace (I wasn't taking responsibility for something happening).

Don't think I will get out this evening due to schedule and travelling back tomorrow so could be Friday before I run again and then Kildare 1/2 on Sunday. Will be a low mileage week this week me thinks.

Back from Germany late Thursday night after a dyas travelling coupled with car problems on Friday meant I did not get out to run than much later than planned.

Did 4.07 miles @ 8:40 pace. Was definitly not feeling the love at all during this run but knew I needed to get a run in before Sunday.

Thats it now till Kildare 1/2 on Sunday. Confidence took a bit of a battering last night but hoping it was just down to tiredness from travelling all week. Will find out tomorrow anyway :rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Confidence took a bit of a battering last night but hoping it was just down to tiredness from travelling all week. Will find out tomorrow anyway :rolleyes:

Rest day today will do you world of good and you'll be in flying form tomorrow. Enjoy the race and good luck

Had a great run today. 1:45:22. Nearly another 3 mins off PB in 10 days. Will update with the gory details tomorrow. Need to rehydrate with some bulmers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Had a great run today. 1:45:22. Nearly another 3 mins off PB in 10 days. Will update with the gory details tomorrow. Need to rehydrate with some bulmers now.

well done pistol on knocking another 3mins off. Its great re hydrating with booze at this stage :)

• Advertisement

After a near 30 minute delay due to people arriving late / traffic congestion at main entrance to car parks (no gardai, stewards managing traffic) everyone made their way to the start line. Had originally been targetting sub 1:50 in this race from my initial training plan for this race this had been revised after running 1:48:12 in Dundalk.

Build up week had not been great as had been away in Germany with work for 3 days and felt like crap on Fridays run. Located the 1:45 pacer (Brendan) at the start line and said I would go out with him and see if I could hang on. 8 minute miles for 13.1 would not be within my comfort zone so knew it was going to be tough.

Crossed the line directly behind pacer and we bobbed and weaved to try and find some space and the right pace. Downhill at the start probably helped a bit and were through the first mile in 7:56. The next part of the course involved crossing a horse bridge across some grass terrain before turning and headint towards the curragh camp. There was also a sharp rise into the curragh which ended around the 2 mile marker. Still quite crowded around the pacer and decided not to jostle too much for position and as a result was about 10 yards back at this stage. 2nd mile completed in 8:07. Sharp descent out of the curragh and a fairly flat spell led to the 3rd mile being completed in 7:35. We were now out in the country and back roads which were well sheltered. Miles 4, 5, & 6 were covered in 7:59, 7:55 & 8:03.

For the first time I think I managed to settle into some sort of rhythym and was beside the pacer at halfway. He explained that he had put in the quick downhill mile to bank some time for the rise back into Kildare town around mile 9.

Mile 7 & 8 followed at similar pace 8:03 & 8:04 and as mentioned mile 9 was a bit of a slog in 8:23.

I should mention now that the splits I am giving ar from my garmin splits. During the race we were measuring our times against the mile markers and at this stage we were still showing approx 30 seconds inside target according to the markers.

Legs were heavy at this stage but got through mile 10 & 11 in 8:08 & 8:01. Cant remember exactly where but it was around here I tried to push on a bit and see if I had anything more. This abruptly came to an end when we hit the first of 2 of the steepest railway bridges I have seen. Legs were totally gone at this stage and if I could have stopped I would but kept plodding on. Mile 12 was completed in 8:03 and all the time I could hear Brendan behind me encouraging others to keep with him or go on for 1:45. We were not back On the road leading back into the curragh and this was a nice gradual rise. Mile 13 was completed in 8:07 and finished the last portion at 7:27 pace.

Thought I had finished inside 1:45 but to my surprise stopped my watch at 1:45:22. Still a PB by 2:50 but a little disappointed as I was expecting to see 1:44:xx

Turned around and Brendan had finished just behind me and he was as amazed as I was that we were over 1:45. The distance from the last mile marker to the finish definitly seemed like more than .1 of a mile so maybe some of the mile markers had been off along the way leading to us thinking we had more time to spare than we did.

Either way I don't think I could have run any quicker in the last few miles andthrilled with the PB. Probably the toughest race I have done in terms of pushing myself and not giving up or letting up at any stage of the race.

Advertisement