Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I think my next Marathon will just be a conservative get round job.

Did I just say next Marathon? WTF? :eek:

Do Limerick:cool:, myself and Chinguetti are looking to pace it and I've a mate running it too, we could get a few interested in the half if not the full and make a road trip out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Finally got my time. 4:16:34 :mad:

43 minutes quicker than last year I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Finally got my time. 4:16:34 :mad:

43 minutes quicker than last year I suppose.

I didn't realise you had such a massive PB improvement P. Draw a graph and see the trend - now imagine where the next point will be on that graph! I'd be willing to make a first time bet with Brian that you'll hit sub 3:45 for the next marathon, and that's not to say you won't go much faster again!
    You can begin to feel a time is out of range when you start plateauing and still haven't hit it - you're far from there yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I totally understand what you are thinking, but you have to look on the positives - being negative is going to do no use to anyone [most important yourself]. A 43 minute PB is excellent. You must be in the shape of your life...

There are always folks having bad days at races we do around the year, be it a 5k or whatever - myself and yourself were unlucky on Monday, as it it happened in our goal race.

Onwards and upwards, and we have to learn from what happened so it does not happen again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Pistol, if you want another crack at it, there are still at least 4 marathons in Ireland before the year is out, if you are worried about all that training going to waste

There's the Eddie Murphy Memorial marathon in Sixmilebridge, Limerick on 20th November,
    West of Ireland Marathon, Galway on 26th November and 17th December ( and maybe one between Christmas Day and New Year)
    And the Clonakilty Marathon on 10th December

You could easliy pick up the training again using Dublin as an LSR and ease into a taper for one of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Aimman wrote: »
    Pistol, if you want another crack at it, there are still at least 4 marathons in Ireland before the year is out, if you are worried about all that training going to waste

There's the Eddie Murphy Memorial marathon in Sixmilebridge, Clare on 20th November,
    West of Ireland Marathon, Galway on 26th November and 17th December ( and maybe one between Christmas Day and New Year)
    And the Clonakilty Marathon on 10th December

You could easliy pick up the training again using Dublin as an LSR and ease into a taper for one of the above.

FYP - don't be lumping us lovely Clare people with those Limerick ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

shazkea wrote: »
    FYP - don't be lumping us lovely Clare people with those Limerick ones!!

Funny that, I've had similar complaints from the people of Limerick :P

Monday

5.02 miles in 46:07

Avg Pace: 9:11

Spent last week letting feet recover, having a bit of a blowout and sons christening at the weekend.

Nice loop of town tonight. Legs felt pretty ok. Couple of tight spots in calves but nothing a good stretch won't sort.

Still contemplating what to do next training plan wise.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|5.02
    Total|1023.93

Wednesday

5.02 miles in 45:59

Avg Pace: 9:10
    Avg HR: 143

Same route as Monday only in opposite direction. Enjoyed the run. Will do something similar on Friday morning and hopefully a longish run on the weekend. Legs mostly felt fine this evening.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|10.04
    Total|1028.95

Sunday

5.87 miles in 52:45

Avg Pace: 9:00
    Avg HR: 143

Bit of a head cold last couple of days so only got out this evening for a run. Felt fine. Picked up a pair of Nike Lunarglide2 today with a voucher I had for elverys in Blanchardstown. Feel fine but picked up a bit of a blister in side of right foot. Am sure will be fine when I break them in.

Sweated buckets during this run. Far too much drink last night. New training plan starts tomorrow.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|15.91
    Total|1034.82

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

New training plan starts tomorrow.

For what Pistol?

Hope you've managed to shift that cold. Be careful! I know what men are like! :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    For what Pistol?

Hope you've managed to shift that cold. Be careful! I know what men are like! :rolleyes:

Clonliffe 5K the week before Xmas. It's only a 5 week plan but will see me up to Xmas. Have never run a 5K before so thats partly the reason as well. May still do Waterford 1/2 the week before this as well if time allows.

Cold is fine now. Didn't turn into the full blown man flu thank god ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Clonliffe 5K the week before Xmas. It's only a 5 week plan but will see me up to Xmas. Have never run a 5K before so thats partly the reason as well. May still do Waterford 1/2 the week before this as well if time allows.

Cold is fine now. Didn't turn into the full blown man flu thank god ;)

Good to hear! Nice to see a real man around these parts for a change! :rolleyes:;)

Cool, best of luck with that. Might have a bash at that 5k myself. Although the December giggly season and the December racing season don't seem to accomodate each other very well in my diary!

claralara wrote: »
    Although the December giggly season and the December racing season don't seem to accomodate each other very well in my diary!

Does be a messy time alright. Hence the 5K as the target. Should be able to finish this without walking :rolleyes:

Should be able to finish this without walking :rolleyes:

It's good to have goals.;)

Monday

3.05 miles in 27:40

Avg Pace: 9:05
    Avg HR: 145

Started midway into HH 5K plan this evening. Legs felt bit tired but fine. Garmin was a bit off at the start so pace was probably slightly quicker.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|18.96
    Total|1037.87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff P, nice to see you're back out (and with new runners - are they red :p)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good stuff P, nice to see you're back out (and with new runners - are they red :p)

haha. no grey and lime green. not sure about them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

haha. no grey and lime green. not sure about them yet.

Good to hear you are back out p. Hope the feet are better too. My blisters almost gone. Oh lime green runners to match the lovely lime green DCM top. You are very colour co-ordinated :D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's good to have goals.;)

OK. Maybe I'll aim for Sub 22.

Depends how the party season affects training :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Warm up 2.05 miles
    Avg Pace 9:22
    Avg HR: 136

9x200m interval w/200m jog recovery

Warm Down 2.05 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:15
    Avg HR: 140

6.34 miles total
    Avg Pace: 8:55
    Avg HR: 141

So have jumped into the Hal Higdon Advanced 5K plan with 5 weeks to go and see how I get on. Plan today was 9x200M intervals which he says should be done at 800M race pace.

With various calculations I figured this should be around the 45 second mark or slightly less. Nice warm up to find a flat spot and set off. Was using the current pace for te first few to try and measure if I was going at the right pace. Gave up after the first couple and just went at the pace I felt was right. Happy enough with the results for first attempt.

Nice warm down back home. Lovely evening for a run in the rain.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|25.3
    Total|1044.21

Friday

35 Minute Tempo Run

6.34 miles in 42:37
    Avg Pace: 8:35
    Avg HR: 147

Tempo run this evening. Legs feeling a bit sore as forgot to stretch after last run. Garmin acted up a bit at start so first mile was longer. Splits of

9:46
    8:30
    7:54
    7:26
    9:17

Happy with this run just a bit of a pain with traffic lights and crossing road a couple of times. Wore lunarglides again and for the second time had a blister on right foot.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|131.88
    September|128.05
    October|161.9
    November|30.27
    Total|1049.28

With various calculations I figured this should be around the 45 second mark or slightly less. Nice warm up to find a flat spot and set off.

What's your mile pb?

What's your mile pb?

Never run a mile race so hard to know. Did a 2 mile race early on this year and think the first mile was 6:3X. Was fairly downhill but probably quicker now so hard to know.

Yours? and why the question?

Never run a mile race so hard to know. Did a 2 mile race early on this year and think the first mile was 6:3X. Was fairly downhill but probably quicker now so hard to know.

Yours? and why the question?

I needed to find out once for intervals so I set myself a time trial, 2.5 miles wu first. It helped with the shorter intervals because I knew close to exactly what pace to run.

Mine is 6:03 but a touch soft.

I needed to find out once for intervals so I set myself a time trial, 2.5 miles wu first. It helped with the shorter intervals because I knew close to exactly what pace to run.

Mine is 6:03 but a touch soft.

Must give that a try so. I think the 3 x 1 mile intervals I did the week before the marathon were between 7 & 7:05.

Must give that a try so. I think the 3 x 1 mile intervals I did the week before the marathon were between 7 & 7:05.

You wouldn't have been flat out on those because you knew there was more to come.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You guys should try out the goal mile races around christmas to find out for sure.

menoscemo wrote: »
    You guys should try out the goal mile races around christmas to find out for sure.

Don't suppose you have a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

GOAL mile

here are last year's locations

did you see the post in the Events subforum, by the way, about a crosscountry in Louth next month that had a kids event?

Advertisement