Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    Going by the 'standard' 220-Age, that would actually make him 61. :D

However the 220-Age formula is a crap one and it just does not fit with so many people (on both the low and high side). For example on the 220-age formula Woddle is 10 years old :p

It may take mental age into account! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

However the 220-Age formula is a crap one and it just does not fit with so many people (on both the low and high side). For example on the 220-age formula Woddle is 10 years old :p

15 to be exact :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You lose a beat a year on average so going by the average that would make you about 53 years old, if so then you're abut right :D:pac:

Think I'll look for a couple of masters races to enter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

He must have lost them in the same place where Digger seems to have lost his :eek:;)

FYI, Digger's trousers are not lost. I have them in a very safe place. And I may give them back to him for the weekend if my dinner is on the table when I get home from work tonight. ;)

Friday

Recovery Run

4.72 miles in 49:05
    Avg Pace: 10:24
    Avg HR: 131

Aim for this run was to run by HR and let that determine the pace. Like most people I would always have run recovery runs too quick in the past.

Took a mile or so for the reading to settle down but was fine after that. Interesting that for the last .72 of a mile that is mainly uphill the pace dropped by approx 30 seconds to keep within the range.

Looking forward to tomorrows long run now.

Month|Miles
    January|64.25
    Total|64.25

• Advertisement

Saturday

LSR

14.00 miles in 2:10:34
    Avg Pace: 9:19
    Avg HR: 137

Met the gang in the park this morning. Cold when we started but turned out to be a lovely morning. Good to chat with some people for the first time. Achilles on my left leg was a bit sore for the last few miles but enjoyed run apart from that.

40.58 miles for the week.

Month|Miles
    January|78.25
    Total|78.25

Monday

8 mile GA run

8.04 miles in 1:15:37
    Avg Pace: 9:25
    Avg HR: 135

P&D tells me these runs should be somewhere between LSR pace and Recovery so who am I to argue. Main focus was on HR again not letting it go over 136 and seeing what pace that brought. Just as well there was plenty of lampposts on route so I could check regularly.

Meant to do 10x100M strides but was under pressure to get home so will do them in later in the week. Appointment with PT tonight to give the legs a working over.

Month|Miles
    January|86.65
    Total|86.65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Wednesday

10 mile GA run

10 miles in 1:32:54
    Avg Pace: 9:18
    Avg HR: 137

Another general aerobic run this evening, again concentrating on HR and not worrying about pace. Legs a bit funny at the start after massage on Monday night but fine after that. Did 2 of my usual 5 mile loops. Wasn't as bad as I feared running past the house after 5 miles.

Month|Miles
    January|96.65
    Total|96.65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    FYI, Digger's trousers are not lost. I have them in a very safe place. And I may give them back to him for the weekend if my dinner is on the table when I get home from work tonight. ;)

1. Let's not publicise your 'safe place' ;)
    2. Eh......It's my home, if you paid rent as opposed to spending all disposable income on Cadbury Roses you might have a leg to stand on :D

• Advertisement

Friday

5 mile recovery run

5.02 miles in 50:42
    Avg Pace: 10:05
    Avg HR: 133

Recovery run this evening. Took it nice and handy. Windy out there making it a bit slower than normal into the wind to try and keep effort down.

Marathon Pace run tomorrow will give an idea of where I am fitness wise. Looking forward to Raheny next weekend. Long time since a race.

Month|Miles
    January|101.67
    Total|101.67

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Marathon Pace run tomorrow will give an idea of where I am fitness wise.

Have you decided on a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Marathon Pace run tomorrow will give an idea of where I am fitness wise.

Jeez, he never lets up!

Had decided but now not sure again. Maybe not any :D
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Jeez, he never lets up!

He's deffo working for Limerick Council. Have you decided yourself K?

Monday

13 miles w/8 @ MP

5 miles in 45:25
    Avg Pace: 9:05

8.1 miles in 1:08:53
    Avg Pace: 8:30
    Avg HR: 143

Missed this run Sat morning as was out Fri night and spent the rest of Sat & Sun studying. Have a poxy exam to do on Wednesday so am on study leave today & tomorrow. Headed out at lunchtime to clear the head.

Plan was to keep the HR under 140 for the first part of the run and then under 147 for the MP part. Wasn't sure but reckoned this would have me between 8:30 & 8:45 pace. Run was mostly ok but last mile as always was tough as its very uphill and into the wind. Also I reckon the body was starting to cry out for some water.

Happy to get the run done. Not sure how the rest of the week will pan out with Raheny on Sunday and the next couple of days limited. Will see how it goes.

Month|Miles
    January|114.77
    Total|114.77

Happy to get the run done. Not sure how the rest of the week will pan out with Raheny on Sunday and the next couple of days limited. Will see how it goes.

Limited is good. It's something I learned this weekend. Probably wouldn't pay attention to it if i didn't HAVE to but it's good to know! Bring on the fresh legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

good running! Its nice getting out during daylight hours too :)

Ah the old P&D 13 with 8, your HR seems a bit low for MP, correct me if I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ah the old P&D 13 with 8, your HR seems a bit low for MP, correct me if I'm wrong?

We've worked his max out to be 165 so MP should be 130-146.

Tuesday

Recovery Run

5.02 miles in 50:35
    Avg Pace: 10:05

Recovery run on Tuesday night to clear the head after studying as much as revive the legs. Couldn't keep HR down for some reason but took it as handy as I could. Got the exam out of the way yesterday and passed TG so back on track with training from this evening.

Raheny on Sunday which although not a goal race would like to improve on 5 mile PB so will try and keep the legs relativly fresh.

Month|Miles
    January|119.79
    Total|119.79

• Advertisement

Thursday

4.75 miles in 45:22
    Avg Pace: 9:33
    Avg HR: 141

Went out last night just to keep the legs ticking over. Felt absolutly wrecked and much more effort was required than should have been. I guess its just a build up of the non running efforts of the weekend and the last few days.

Rest now till Sunday and hopefully feel in better shape by then.

Month|Miles
    January|124.54
    Total|124.54

Sunday

Raheny 5 Mile

5 miles in 36:08
    Avg Pace: 7:14
    Avg HR: 153

Was looking forward to racing again but had no idea what to expect as have been doing a lot of slow miles recently. Put my 1/2 marathon time into McMillan and this told me I should be able for a 7:20 average pace so decided to try and start off at that pace and see could I hold it.

Met a few of the other boardsies and supporters waiting to start and went for a warm up and a few strides with CL. She was hoping for 7:30 so I said we would start together and see how it went. Usual mayhem at the start but we had settled down to between 7:10 & 7:20 pace fairly soon. Checked with CL a couple of times was the pace ok but there was no response.

Her lace opened coming up to the mile marker causing her to stop and I wondered would I see her again. She caught up a couple of minutes later and it obviously didn't take too much out of her as she upped the pace a bit. I decided to try and stick to my planned pace and off she headed.

Had a bit of a struggle up to halfway but dug in when required until the hill came. Really hit the legs and took a couple of hundred metres to recover but still had a bit left for a sprint finish.

Splits for the race were very even 7:13, 7:16, 7:18, 7:17, 7:03. PB by 1:40 so thrilled with that and a good way to start the year.

Month|Miles
    January|129.54
    Total|129.54

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Pistol. That's some pacing. You must be chuffed. A sign of things to come in 2012 :)

This will be a good year for you P, well done on the pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done p. Great running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice running P, congrats on the new PB.

Well done again on your race yesterday P. Sorry for abandoning ship – I was totally in my own little world awaiting the pain! And thanks for pushing me up the field and sorting me out over the first mile – I probably wouldn’t have pushed on without you. :)

claralara wrote: »
    Well done again on your race yesterday P. Sorry for abandoning ship – I was totally in my own little world awaiting the pain! And thanks for pushing me up the field and sorting me out over the first mile – I probably wouldn’t have pushed on without you. :)

No problem at all you just needed a little help to prove that pace was too easy for you and off you went. Though I have to admit I wasn't so sure after you professed how much you hated running and all things running before the race :D

By the way what was in that tablet you took out when you stopped to tie your lace? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done yesterday, great time.

• Advertisement

Monday

8 Mile General Aerobic Run

8.11 miles in 1:13:36
    Avg Pace: 9:04
    Avg HR: 139

Back in the swing of things this evening. Ran this with a friend and pace was probably a bit quick after the race yesterday but legs felt fine and was only really a couple of quicker miles towards the end.

Month|Miles
    January|137.65
    Total|137.65

Advertisement