Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Tuesday

5 Mile Recovery Run

5.04 miles in 51:59
    Avg Pace: 10:18
    Avg HR: 133

Up and at it early this morning. Legs a bit tired with not much recovery time from last night so slow pace suited.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    Total|142.69

Wednesday

10 Mile GA Run

10 miles in 1:35:25
    Avg Pace: 9:32
    Avg HR: 136

Early morning start again this morning. Ran this one by HR again which was very slow for the first 5 miles or so but body seemed to waken up after that and splits cames down for the second loop.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|10
    Total|152.69

Saturday

15 Mile Long Run

15.24 miles in 2:22:51
    Avg Pace: 9:22
    Avg HR: 137

Met with the gang this morning in the park. Good turnout and the rain went away soon enough. Plodded around and plenty of chatting. Left the ultra nutters after 13 and finished with a lap around the pitches with Chinguetti & Jcsmum. Some of the marathon mission team seemed to be doing a speed session and was interesting to watch them coming in the opposite direction.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|25.24
    Total|167.93

Monday

Recovery Run

4.4 miles in 45:04
    Avg Pace: 10:10
    Avg HR: 134

Recovery run yesterday evening. Knew it was going to be short so decided to give the lunarglide 2's another chance and see could they be used for recovery runs. Same thing as normal happened grand for first 2 miles the could feel the blisters developing near my instep. Guess these are just not for me.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|29.64
    Total|172.33

Tuesday

Lactate Threshold Run - 9 miles w/5 @ HMP

1.87 mile w/u, Avg Pace 9:15, Avg HR 129

5 miles @ HMPAvg Pace: 7:43
    Avg HR: 147

2.2 mile w/d Avg Pace 9:35, Avg HR 135

First bit of pace running for a few weeks as substitured the last one in the plan for the Raheny 5 mile. Warmed up by running to where I normally do any interval training as its the only place really where there is no crossing of roads or paths etc. Bit boring as well as its a mile roughly from start point to a roundabout so was an out & back route for 5 miles.

Happy to be able to keep pace pretty consistent for 5 miles.

Took it nice and handy on the way home helped by tripping over a kerb and nearly killing myself. :eek:

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|38.71
    Total|181.40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nice running there P. Is it the outer relief road you do the intervals on? bit boring alright but its flat enough.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Nice running there P. Is it the outer relief road you do the intervals on? bit boring alright but its flat enough.

That's the one alright. Cycle lane is grand and can do up to a mile with no interruptions and as you say fairly flat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Is the 18 with 14 @ pace on your plan?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Is the 18 with 14 @ pace on your plan?

Yep there is. If I get through the 16 w/10 & 16 w/12 unscathed.:rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Yep there is. If I get through the 16 w/10 & 16 w/12 unscathed.:rolleyes:

No problem to you, that last run we did before DCM was 8:3x average for 12 miles. I think you'll smash 3:45 easily if everything comes together for you.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    No problem to you, that last run we did before DCM was 8:3x average for 12 miles. I think you'll smash 3:45 easily if everything comes together for you.

We'll keep an open mind on that.

Wednesday & Thursday

Plan for last 2 days was 5 recovery & 10 GA. Did a fitness bootcamp that a friend of mine is running on Wednesday. Definitly a lot more effort than a recovery run as it involves a lot of boxing, circuits & core work.

This was my second week doing it and it has definitly woken up a few muscles judging by the stiffness the following day after it.

Set out for my 10 yesterday evening with body generally feeling wrecked. Idea was to do the first few miles at recovery pace and ease into the run. After about 3.5 miles the stomach wasn't feeling great and it became a battle stave off the gingerbread man until I passed my house. Thoughts of Oisin and his sock story were not helping matters.

Made it home in the nick of time but having only managed one loop instead of 2.

Conclusion from the run is that no matter how badly you think you feel you can always go faster if you really need to and I really needed to.

5 miles in 46:28
    Avg Pace 9:18
    Avg HR 141

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|43.71
    Total|186.40

Conclusion from the run is that no matter how badly you think you feel you can always go faster if you really need to and I really needed to.

:D

Saturday

16 mile LSR w/10 @ PMP

6 miles in 57:06
    Avg Pace 9:31
    Avg HR 136

10 miles in 1:25:26
    Avg Pace 8:32
    Avg HR 143

Met up with Chinguetti & The Boy Wonder at 8am and did a loop out around the war memorial gardens to get the first 6 out of the way. Took a while for the legs to get going, think it was a combination of the early start and knowing what was to come later on.

Looped back to the car park and picked up Brian & Aimman for the next 10. Chinguetti had mapped the route and only noticed last night it was finishing up the kyber and had a few other nice hills thrown in as well. Felt pretty ok most of the time but started to pick up a bit of a stitch with a couple of miles to go. Got dropped going up the kyber but that was more to do with the others picking up the pace. Felt like I was threading water a bit but pace did not drop too much and got it back down in the last 1/2 mile after.

Great to get the session out of the way.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|59.71
    Total|202.40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

In my defence, there was 2 hills and you managed it quite well even with the stitch.

You still managed 8.30 pace so a good day's run was done. Nothing like a tough run with a hill to finish. When you need to dig deep in a race, you know you can do it as today is the proof of it.

And you didn't need the sock:D

I think there were more than 2 but that provided a few quicker sections as well. I agree it was a good test which is more important, and one where I might have bailed on it in the past when it got tough.

It's all about the positives and I don't carry a spare sock :)

So I was restricted to running only on saturday morning as the wife was going to a hen from saturday lunchtime and I was taking care of the little man.

One thing that was nagging me about saturdays run was how I could feel my feet starting to give me trouble again towards the end of the run. To be honest I have noticed this a bit anytime a run heads into double figures in terms of mileage.

Headed off yesterday to my usual running shop and explained to them what was happening etc. My previous runners were the Asics DS trainer and currently running in KSwiss blade.

They advised me that both of these shoes were fine for me but were pretty light and that they wouldn't recommend the DS for anything further than a 1/2 marathon.

They then did my gait again which hadn't changed (pronator) and got me to try the Kayano's which although heavier they said would offer much better support over longer distance. They also got me to try a neutral shoe to show me the difference which was fairly obvious.

So what they are telling me seems to make sense to me and although the Kayano's are probably the most expensive show they weren't trying to put the hard sell on me or anything like that.

To you more knowledgable folk does the above make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Can't argue with the advice given but if you are looking to buy Kayanos I've heard the Asics outlet store in Kildare Shopping Village is offering 16's for €70...Less than half the price of €150+ you see for latest launches in most High St. stores. Perhaps a €70 pair may be a less risky means of trialling the Kayanos?

I'm a pronator and have used Kayano's ever since I figured out they prevented my knees from getting sore back in 2008. No real injuries from running since!:)

belcarra wrote: »
    Can't argue with the advice given but if you are looking to buy Kayanos I've heard the Asics outlet store in Kildare Shopping Village is offering 16's for €70...Less than half the price of €150+ you see for latest launches in most High St. stores. Perhaps a €70 pair may be a less risky means of trialling the Kayanos?

I'm a pronator and have used Kayano's ever since I figured out they prevented my knees from getting sore back in 2008. No real injuries from running since!:)

Thanks Belcarra. Sounds like that could be a plan. Must check out if they have any in stock.

Monday

8.06 miles in 1:15:18
    Avg Pace 9:20
    Avg HR 136

Step back week this week. Nice run this evening concentrating again on keeping the HR at the right level of effort.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|67.77
    Total|210.46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

They had kayano 16 for women for €69 but in stupid sizes. There were men's there too but I didn't see what sizes were there.
    Pity I didn't see your log before I went down there.

jcsmum wrote: »
    They had kayano 16 for women for €69 but in stupid sizes. There were men's there too but I didn't see what sizes were there.
    Pity I didn't see your log before I went down there.

I rang them today and it seems they have them both in my size. Will probably head down on Saturday afternoon. Bringing the wife though will probably more than wipe out the saving on the cost of the runners :(

Tuesday

5.08 miles in 49:43
    Avg Pace 9:47
    Avg HR 131

Recovery run this evening. Got held up in work and then had dinner and visitors so could have bailed on this one but rest of the week is pretty full so glad to get out in the end. Bootcamp class tomorrow night.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|72.85
    Total|215.54

God I feel so lazy after reading all the great reports from Donadea. Haven't done a thing since last Wednesday for various reasons apart from picking up a pair of Kayano's. Back to it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

God I feel so lazy after reading all the great reports from Donadea. Haven't done a thing since last Wednesday for various reasons apart from picking up a pair of Kayano's. Back to it this evening.

Don't knock shopping P, it can be a tough workout - especially for a credit card ;)

Monday

2.9 miles in 26:42
    Avg Pace 9:13
    Avg HR 135

3 miles in 23:24
    Avg Pace 7:47
    Avg HR 148

1.53 miles in 13:55
    Avg Pace 9:06
    Avg HR 135

Plan for today was to do 10 w/5 @ HMP. Late home from work and had to be home to let my wife head out. 3 quick miles felt fine but pretty windy out there. Kayano's felt ok for their debut as well. Hope to have them well broken in for LSR at the weekend.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|80.29
    Total|222.98

shazkea wrote: »
    Don't knock shopping P, it can be a tough workout - especially for a credit card ;)

Sure is Shaz. I see there is a 10K planned in the area for Paddy's morning at 9:30. €20 for Cancer support group. Haven't seen any other details about it yet. Might do it for the craic.

Wednesday

10.38 miles in 1:36:56
    Avg Pace 9:20
    Avg HR 137

Midweek long run which was a struggle from start to finish. Have just been feeling wiped out the last few days for some reason with little or no energy. Every bone in my body felt like it was aching at one stage or another. Wore the kayano's again and to be honest I don't think it would have mattered what I was wearing last night. Will see how I am over the next couple of days.

Month|Miles
    January|142.69
    February|90.67
    Total|233.36

Friday

5.03 miles in 43:12
    Avg Pace 8:36
    Avg HR 143

Monday

6.07 miles in 54:20
    Avg Pace 8:57
    Avg HR 137

Felt totally whacked towards the end of last week so not much to report since then. Felt a lot better last night but a lot of stuff going on at the moment leaving less time to run.

Just about to enter bohermeen 1/2 marathon on Sunday although I have my department xmas night out on friday night :eek:

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|101.14
    Total|244.11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sure is Shaz. I see there is a 10K planned in the area for Paddy's morning at 9:30. €20 for Cancer support group. Haven't seen any other details about it yet. Might do it for the craic.

Yeah I heard that P. Any idea of the route? So many runs on that w-end, I don't know what to do!

Advertisement