Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

shazkea wrote: »
    Yeah I heard that P. Any idea of the route? So many runs on that w-end, I don't know what to do!

Haven't got any news on it yet. Can't imagine it being too flat anyway and god only knows what the actual distance will be. I think it would be a case of turning up and not expecting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Haven't got any news on it yet. Can't imagine it being too flat anyway and god only knows what the actual distance will be. I think it would be a case of turning up and not expecting too much.
    Its a charity run for the cancer support group in the town. So a really good cause. I might do it purely for that reason alone :) And you are right it certainly won't be flat :rolleyes:

Wednesday

4.98 miles in 44:06
    Avg Pace 8:51
    Avg HR 141

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    Total|249.09

Monday

5.87 miles in 51:48
    Avg Pace 8:50
    Avg HR 139

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|5.87
    Total|254.96

Nules10 wrote: »
    Its a charity run for the cancer support group in the town. So a really good cause. I might do it purely for that reason alone :) And you are right it certainly won't be flat :rolleyes:

Nules,

I registered last night and asked them about the course. Basically it starts on the road outside the centre on inner ring road, up to traffic lights at chapel gate, swing left out to roundabout at hagans, left onto outer ring road, follow that down to the church roundabout and up the road to castleland court etc and back down to the centre. This is done twice. I suppose the hill at the end is the only real hill I can think of apart from a few drags.

Hopefully it is run on the road and there won't be chopping & changing of paths. No chip timing anyway but as you say it's for a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nules,

I registered last night and asked them about the course. Basically it starts on the road outside the centre on inner ring road, up to traffic lights at chapel gate, swing left out to roundabout at hagans, left onto outer ring road, follow that down to the church roundabout and up the road to castleland court etc and back down to the centre. This is done twice. I suppose the hill at the end is the only real hill I can think of apart from a few drags.

Hopefully it is run on the road and there won't be chopping & changing of paths. No chip timing anyway but as you say it's for a good cause.

Ohh thats interesting. Not a bad route.... Except for the part where I can see my house from the road... Twice :rolleyes: bit of a drag alright from the church
    Roundabout to the traffic lights. Could be worse though could be going up EEC hill. Thanks for letting me know p. Did you register at the support centre?

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ohh thats interesting. Not a bad route.... Except for the part where I can see my house from the road... Twice :rolleyes: bit of a drag alright from the church
    Roundabout to the traffic lights. Could be worse though could be going up EEC hill. Thanks for letting me know p. Did you register at the support centre?

They had registration in the bracken court that night. Think you can register at the centre as well or on the morning of the race.

Thursday

9.85 miles in 1:24:35
    Avg Pace 8:35
    Avg HR 144

Really churning out the miles at the moment :eek: On a positive note really enjoyed this run just finding it hard to get the time to follow a training plan at the moment.

Wife & son sick the past few days so I'm bound to be sick soon as well :(

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|15.72
    Total|264.81

As predicted in my last post I picked up the dose doing the rounds. Sick last weekend and went to docs on Monday. Still no better writing this. Hopefully clear up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

As predicted in my last post I picked up the dose doing the rounds. Sick last weekend and went to docs on Monday. Still no better writing this. Hopefully clear up soon.

There's a lousy dose going around, I've been fcuked for the last 10 days and can't now race Mallow:(

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There's a lousy dose going around, I've been fcuked for the last 10 days and can't now race Mallow:(

Sure has. Sorry to hear about Mallow.

Sunday

2.82 miles in 26:45
    Avg Pace 9:29
    Avg HR 144

Monday

5.02 miles in 46:00
    Avg Pace 9:10
    Avg HR 144

First run in 10 days yesterday. Still not over the dose but decided to test the waters out. Didn't feel too bad and good to be out in the air. Out again this evening. HR good bit higher than normal which I expected.

Just going to try and build things back up slowly for the next couple of weeks and see where that leaves me.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|23.56
    Total|272.65

Wednesday

6.15 miles in 54:55
    Avg Pace 8:55
    Avg HR 141

Nice run this evening. Feeling a bit stronger and HR down a little bit. Off to Galway tomorrow for Wedding on Friday. Good intentions on getting a couple of runs in anyway :rolleyes:

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|29.71
    Total|278.80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yes, we'll be expecting some races logged at the weekend. Surely something like a wedding wouldn't hinder a dedicated runner :rolleyes:;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yes, we'll be expecting some races logged at the weekend. Surely something like a wedding wouldn't hinder a dedicated runner :rolleyes:;)

You must have got me mixed up with someone else ;-)

Thursday

5.65 miles in 49:43
    Avg Pace 8:48
    Avg HR 142

Saturday

4.03 miles in 37:41
    Avg Pace 9:22
    Avg HR: 142

Couple of runs along the promenade in Salthill while I was in Galway. Twinged something in my back on Sat evening so looks like another couple of days off. Really has been a disaster of a month for running.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    Total|288.48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

. Really has been a disaster of a month for running.]

There's a bit of that going around. At least the sun is shining.

Thursday

5.03 miles in 41:31
    Avg Pace 8:15

Back to it yesterday. Pardon the pun. Back is back to normal and has been for a few days. Lovely evenung for a run yesterday. Glad to be back to it.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|5.03
    Total|293.51

Friday

6 miles in 56:21
    Avg Pace 9:24

Run with a friend from work. Partly a new route that covered Gormanston college. Nice to change it up a bit.

Saturday

9.59 miles in 1:26:25
    Avg Pace 9:01

Down in Kildare at the weekend so did a loop from the in laws house around the countryside. Quads were sore at the start but loosened out after about a mile.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|20.62
    Total|309.1

Tuesday

Felt a bit ropey yesterday evening but headed out anyway. Kept an eye on the HR but evening allowing for the usual spikes it kept on climbing when I was slowing down and also running downhill. Called it a day after 2 miles as a precaution.

Good nights sleep last night and feel much better today

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|22.62
    Total|311.1

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5 miles in 42:27
    Avg Pace 8:29
    Avg HR 146

Back to normal this evening. Usual loop around the block. Good crowd out this evening. Really must sign up for some races :rolleyes:

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|27.62
    Total|316.1

Thursday

9 miles in 1:30:45
    Avg Pace 10:05
    Avg HR 137

A couple of people I work with were heading up to Ardgillan yesterday evening so decided to join them. Ran from my house to meet them and get a lift there and back. This was about 3 miles there and back meaning about 6 miles was spent running round Ardgillan.

Included a few hill intervals towards the end which are always interesting in Ardgillan.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|36.62
    Total|325.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Glad you're getting back into the swing of things again. What's the goal for Kildare?

jcsmum wrote: »
    Glad you're getting back into the swing of things again. What's the goal for Kildare?

Good question? Will see how the 10K goes a few weeks beforehand. Did 1:45:22 in the race last year and 1:42:xx in the race series half last year so possibly somewhere in between that.

Your flying in training fair play to you. I think you'll put a good dent in your PB if everything goes to plan on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good question? Did 1:45:22 in the race last year and 1:42:xx in the race series half last year

If you stick with the 1:45 pacers this year, you'll definitely get under 1:45 ;)

Edit, as a Matter of interst can you put up or PM me your garmin link from last year so I can have a look at the course?

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you stick with the 1:45 pacers this year, you'll definitely get under 1:45 ;)

I finished in front of them last year and look where it got me :eek:

Edit, as a Matter of interst can you put up or PM me your garmin link from last year so I can have a look at the course?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86672794

From looking at the course yesterday there seems to be a slight change at the start and finish but everything else looks the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looks a fair enough course and your garmin measured the distance pretty much spot on which is good info.

Is that 150ft of down hill between 2 and 2.5 miles real or imagined? If it's real that's one heck of a downhill :p Though I suspect it's not.
    It would be best to enable elevation corrections on your garmin readouts as the satellites are pretty poor at picking out elevation on their own (elevation corrections sync up elevations with map data I think).

menoscemo wrote: »
    Looks a fair enough course and your garmin measured the distance pretty much spot on which is good info.

Is that 150ft of down hill between 2 and 2.5 miles real or imagined? If it's real that's one heck of a downhill :p Though I suspect it's not.
    It would be best to enable elevation corrections on your garmin readouts as the satellites are pretty poor at picking out elevation on their own (elevation corrections sync up elevations with map data I think).

There is a sharp rise up from the racecourse to the curragh camp and then a big drop down which might not be far off that in total. Can't remember exactly. After that it is pretty flat until you get close to Kildare town around mile 9 or so. Bit of a drag back up to the curragh at the finish but I would think it is a quick enough course.

Sunday

8.19 miles in 1:14:45
    Avg Pace 9:08
    Avg HR 142

Sunday evening run. Pace very sluggish for the first 3 miles. Picked up the pace gradually for the next 4 miles to stop it turning into a useless plod. Lovely evening out.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|44.81
    Total|333.29

• Advertisement

Monday

Warm Up

2.55 miles in 22:58
    Avg Pace 9:01
    Avg HR 135

10x400m Intervals

1:29 HR 141
    1:34 HR 147
    1:35 HR 148
    1:37 HR 142
    1:38 HR 145
    1:39 HR 147
    1:40 HR 145
    1:39 HR 144
    1:40 HR 143
    1:31 HR 147

Warm Down

2.04 miles in 18:46
    Avg Pace 9:12
    Avg HR 138

9.39 miles total.

Decided to do some intervals last night and conditions were lovely for them. Been a while since I did them so this was always going to go by feel. With the rain as well I couldn't change the display on my watch so these were all run without knowing pace from one to another. Having just checked McMillan now it gives an indication I should be around 1:37 - 1:42 per interval so happy enough with that.

Out of interest what do people normally display on their Garmin to track each interval presuming you are not manually lapping each interval.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|39.39
    April|54.20
    Total|342.68

Advertisement