Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pistol_75 wrote: »

Out of interest what do people normally display on their Garmin to track each interval presuming you are not manually lapping each interval.

I change the Time field to Time-Lap so i can check I am on pace after the 100 or 200m mark (handy on a track).
    I change the pace field to Pace-Lap so i can see the average pace of that particular interval.

That said, I find it best not to be too glues to the watch, It's better to run them by feel. The above can be handy to keep the pace down in the first few intervals though as we all tend to go out a little over enthusiastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    I change the Time field to Time-Lap so i can check I am on pace after the 100 or 200m mark (handy on a track).
    I change the pace field to Pace-Lap so i can see the average pace of that particular interval.

That said, I find it best not to be too glues to the watch, It's better to run them by feel. The above can be handy to keep the pace down in the first few intervals though as we all tend to go out a little over enthusiastic.

Do you not find the Time-Lap & Pace-Lap still show the pace of whatever your default is i.e KM or Mile and not the actual interval or do you change your default for intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I have the Lap Pace displaying on my watch.
    I start it at the beginning of the interval and then monitor it from halfway through the interval to ensure I'm on pace.
    I also have the Lap Distance on the same display so when I reach the required distance I then hit the Lap button to close the interval. Then I follow the interval up with a '50%-90% interval time' recovery jog before starting it all over again.
    This system works well for me.

Do you not find the Time-Lap & Pace-Lap still show the pace of whatever your default is i.e KM or Mile and not the actual interval or do you change your default for intervals?

Time-Lap will just show in minutes+seconds as there is no differentiation between km and miles in this sense. If I am aiming for 800m in 3 minutes, I'll check at 200m (hoping to see 45sec) and at 400m (hoping to see 1min 30)

Pace-lap will show in your default setting for pace, i.e. min/mile or min/km. If you normally have your pace in Min/mile and want to see it in km/mile you'll have to change the default for pace to metric before your intervals.
    Even if I am doing 1k reps I still prefer to see my pace in Min/Mile I know the triatheltes and Frenchie lovers will :rolleyes: at this fact but it's what I'm used to and what I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Which Garmin have you got Pistol? I have the 305 and is handy for intervals, I do the following (presuming you are not using a 400m runniung track)

On one of the screens I set up four fields with the following

Current Lap Time/ Last Lap Time
    Current Pace / Last Lap Pace

Then put the machine into Metric mode and select the Training/Workouts/Interval option

I set mine for Distance / Rest Distance, but you can choose Distance / Rest Time in you prefer.

Tell the program what intervals you are doing

400m Distance
    200m Rest Distance (or whatever rest time you want)
    10 repeats

If you prefer pace in miles, put it back into Statute mode.

Start the interval session and the watch will keep an eye on your distance and alarm to tell you when to start and stop running for each interval and automatically marks your laps with fast and slow sections of the interval.

You dont have to worry about pressing buttons or keeping count of the intervals, the watch does it all for you and you have all the stats on the screen from the last fast section to look at while you are in the rest phase.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5.01 miles in 41:24
    Avg Pace 8:16
    Avg HR 145

Plan for last night was a mile w/u, 3 quicker miles, and a mile w/d. Quicker miles came in at 7:58, 7:42, 7:37. Felt ok throughout and tried to pick up the pace as I went on. Hilly route so a lot of effort required for the last mile.

Had to stop twice in the last mile to shelter from hailstones :eek:. Didn't want to stop but they were painful they were coming down with such force.

LSR this evening hopefully.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|59.21
    Total|352.7

Thursday

Long Run

11.98 miles in 1:50:23
    Avg Pace 9:13
    Avg HR 138

Long Run yesterday evening. Just needed to get some time on the feet again if I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks. Legs were pretty tired from beginning to end due to the 2 sessions earlier in the week I'm sure. Battled on running by HR but can't say I really enjoyed the run. Great to get it out of the way with a busy weekend ahead.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|71.19
    Total|364.68

Tuesday

3.95 miles in 36:10
    Avg Pace 9:10
    Avg HR 135

Travelling this week with work so not much time or knowledge of where to run where I am based. Got time to get out for a few miles yesterday evening. Not home till late Thursday night and then have the samsung race on Sun night. Looking forward to it.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|75.14
    Total|368.63

Samsung Night Run

6.19 miles in 47:09
    Avg Pace 7:37
    Avg HR 152

Preperation for this race was far from ideal with being away all week and out for a few pints on Saturday night. The fact that I had bothered to go into town on Saturday though to pick up the race pack meant I was going to turn up and do it despite the weather.

Parked in Christchurch car park and jogged down to Trinity but arrived far to early given the weather. Got cold very quickly when I tried to shelter from the rain and resorted to running up and down the road to keep warm. Bumped into Vagga and had a bit of a chat. For once one of those stupid warm up things was ok and used it to try and warm up. We were then marched around to Trinity. I had lined up at the front of the second wave (45-55) but there seemed to be a huge amount of people capable of running sub 45 :mad: Had no target time in my head but just wanted to use it for a speedy training session.

Got going anyway down Westmoreland St and used this to pass quite a few. Down O'Connell St and suddenly everyone is crossing over to the right. Did not see an obvious turn or sign but maybe that was due to the crowd. Saw a sign at 2K and garmin beeped then so knew it must have been right. Was running comfortable at this stage and felt within myself. gor very congested going down the docks and back up and lost a bit of time here as got stuck behind slower runners with nowhere to go. Crossed over to the southside still feeling strong. Picked up the effort gradually over the last 4K and sauntered across the line in 47.09

As it turns out this is a 24 sec PB which I'm surprised at.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|81.33
    Total|374.82

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done P, that was a great time. Your report was nearly identical of how it went for me. That turn on o Connell street was so weird, felt like we had all taken the same short-cut. People traffic down the docks was really bad. My pace dropped right down. All in all was a bit of Craic running at night in the lashings of rain!

• Advertisement

Sounds like you cut a good bit off the corner alright. The actual turn was way down the bottom of O'Connel st opposite the Junction of Cathal Bruagh street at the end of the traffic Island:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173097450

From the stewards inevents thread it seems like one person just cut the course and the masses followwed. You weren't at fault as if you see a few hundred runners going one way you just have to go with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Pistol! It was some manky night out there - I didn't envy yee from the comfort of my bar stool! :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sounds like you cut a good bit off the corner alright. The actual turn was way down the bottom of O'Connel st opposite the Junction of Cathal Bruagh street at the end of the traffic Island:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173097450

From the stewards inevents thread it seems like one person just cut the course and the masses followwed. You weren't at fault as if you see a few hundred runners going one way you just have to go with them.

I know it got to the point I was the only one running. I looked behind and saw everyone had turned. Couldn't see any sigh of a turn so presumed I missed it. Think it was around a taxi rank when I turned.

claralara wrote: »
    Well done Pistol! It was some manky night out there - I didn't envy yee from the comfort of my bar stool! :)

The bar stool was a much better proposition. Got to the finish and just kept running back to the car park to get changed. Had to get some burdocks chips to warm me up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done!

Distance | 2012 Target Time | Pre 2012 PB | Current PB
    5km| 21:40 | N/A | N/A
    5 Miles| 35:50 | 37:45 | 36:08 (Raheny 5 mile)
    10km| 44:59 | 47:33 | 47:09 (Samsung 10K)
    10 Miles| 1:14:59 | 1:18:22 | 1:18:22 (Race Series 10 mile)
    Half Marathon| 1:39:59 | 1:42:25 | 1:42:25 (Dublin 1/2 Marathon
    Marathon| 3:59:59 | 4:16:34 | 4:16:34 (Dublin Marathon)

Just updating this table. 2 PB's from 2 races this year so far. Bit of work to be donw to get some of the targets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was thinking of ye all running in the gale and rain last night from the pub too. Good going P. So whats next?

chinguetti wrote: »
    I was thinking of ye all running in the gale and rain last night from the pub too. Good going P. So whats next?

Boyne 10K next Sunday and Kildare 1/2 following Sunday. I think Kildare is the one that will find me out for lack of training but sure I'll give it a go anyway.

Also found out there is a club that trains a couple of miles from me so hoping to pop down there tomorrow night and see what its like.

Monday

3.55 miles in 35:55
    Avg Pace 10:07
    Avg HR 130

Out for a recovery run after the match last night. Badly needed after having to sit through 90 minutes of sh1t from United :mad:

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    Total|378.37

Tuesday

1.54 miles @ 9:27

5x400m w/400m recovery

1:30 HR 151
    1:30 HR 150
    1:30 HR 156
    1:30 HR 156
    1:32 HR 158

.81 miles @ 10:23

Went down to a local club last night a joined in. Quite a few had done the Samsung run last sunday and were doing the Boyne 10K on Sunday coming so an easy enough session. Warm up followed by some dynamic session. 5x400m intervals was the order of the day followed by a short warm down.

Rotten evening but enjoyed the session and always easier with others to push you.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|4.96
    Total|383.33

• Advertisement

Thursday

4.48 miles in 39:53

Avg Pace: 8:54
    Avg HR: 142

Another run with local club last night. Most are doing Boyne 10K so it was just an easy run with some stretching in the middle. Lovely evening for it.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|9.44
    Total|387.81

Sunday

Boyne 10K in 46:52

Avg Pace: 7:36
    Avg HR: 152* (for first 5K)

Groin had felt a bit tight since Friday just a dull sort of pain so headed out yesterday morning for 15 minutes or so to test it and it was fine for running. With that I headed to Drogheda for another 10K.

Started pretty close to the front as I remembered from previous years there was a big bottle neck at the start. Was hoping to get as close to 45 mins as possible on a good day. Started well but could tell early on it was going to be a tough one. Legs felt pretty dead fro the start and didn't really get any better. Kept an eye on the pace but it started slipping a bit after 3K and I had nothing in the legs even on the downhills. Turned around after the 5K mark and shortly after that my garmin died.

Kept plodding on as best I could but guessed I was losing a good bit of time as I was being passed by a few people and not really passing many myself. Back into Drogheda and a great atmosphere at the finish. Nice sharp 200m hill to finish.

Handily able to get chip time straight away at the finish. Great spread also put on by Drogheda & District afterwards as well. Sadly I had to rush off.

All in all an 18 second PB from last Sunday. Kildare 1/2 marathon next Sunday which looks like it will just be a training run for me,

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|16.99
    Total|395.36

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the PB!! :)

Monday

3.9 miles in 37:58

Avg Pace: 9:44
    Avg HR: 134

A couple of laps around Gormanston College this evening. Nice recovery run and avoided the rain showers. :)

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|20.89
    Total|399.26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB, it was a good but tough course, especially the hill finish.....there was some heat in the sun too, we definitely could have done with a second water station....
    I got caught in the bottle neck but i'll know for next year, i'll start up the front with you;)

Thursday

6 miles in approx 56 minutes last night. Thought my garmin had died yesterday but lo and behold when I came into work this morning it had come back to life itself.

I'm sure the good folk at Garmin support will respond to my query in good time anyway.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|26.89
    Total|405.26

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you targetting a Summer marathon P?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Are you targetting a Summer marathon P?

Just Dublin again I reckon. Kildare 1/2 on Sunday but very under prepared for it TBH. Have had a lot going on Golf wise recently at the weekends so time has been limited for longer type runs.

Are you going to race Cork? or whats your plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you going to race Cork? or whats your plan?

Ah no, nowhere near fit enough to race, I'll run around with the 3:45 pacers and have the craic, the session is shaping up nicely.:)

You could come down for beers?

• Advertisement

Friday

5.06 miles @ 9:03 pace
    Avg HR 142

Just a nice run around the town this evening. Garmin had switched itself back on this morning TG.

Kildare 1/2 now on Sunday. No plan or strategy in mind so far :eek:

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|31.95
    Total|410.32

Advertisement