Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done P on the PB. Those railway bridges def deserve a mention - horrible yokes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done P on the PB. Those railway bridges def deserve a mention - horrible yokes :)
    What railway bridges ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Just read your race report , congrats on the PB. I imagine its disappointing to finish so close to sub 1:45 but any day you get a PB is never a bad day ;) I imagine the section from around the middle of mile 8 to the middle of mile 10 was the breaking or making of most people's race , I know any time I had banked evaporated very quickly around there. Well done again on a well run race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Recovery run this evening.

4.89 miles in 45.55

Avg Pace 9:24
    Avg HR 139

Good to get out this evening. Legs were definitly feeling the effects of yesterday but just tried to keep a slow pace that required a lot of effort. Wind was a b***h as well but glad I got out.

Think a rest day might be in order tomorrow :)

Went to Ardgillan for a run this evening. As I am between training plans at the moment I decided to reaquaint myself with those famous slopes.

Decided I wanted to run for between 40 minutes and an hour so set of zigzagging my way around the place. down, across, up, down etc etc. I'm sure you get the drift now.

5.82 miles in 54:45
    Elevation Gain 153 metres

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Went to Ardgillan for a run this evening. As I am between training plans at the moment I decided to reaquaint myself with those famous slopes.

Decided I wanted to run for between 40 minutes and an hour so set of zigzagging my way around the place. down, across, up, down etc etc. I'm sure you get the drift now.

5.82 miles in 54:45
    Elevation Gain 153 metres

Good running P.
    I am laughing at your time and mileage though - I'm one of those OCD ones who would have to round that up to either 6 miles or 55 mins by running around a car if I had to :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good running P.
    I am laughing at your time and mileage though - I'm one of those OCD ones who would have to round that up to either 6 miles or 55 mins by running around a car if I had to :)

Don't worry I was thinking of doing a lap of the car park to bring up the 6 miles. Too lazy though.

Weekend off this weekend. Went to get out this evening even though it's blowing a gale and noticed my garmon was dead. Could have sworn it was 85% when I checked earlier. Maybe not.

Not good. Looks like I will have an early start in the morning to make up for it as have to play golf after work tomorrow evening.

:(

Don't you just love technology. Had a massage booked last night for 9pm so went to go out for a run before dinner and the massage. Garmin fully charged went to switch on GPS and it kept rebooting itself. Then it started rebooting everytime I touched anything.

So time I should have spent running was spent looking at how to fix the problem. Did a soft reboot which should have worked but it also zaps the battery, so I had to charge it up again bofore I could check if it was working again. Seems fine now TG.

Had my massage and the guy I go to runs with Clonliffe and had invited me to a race tonight in Malahide Castle, some series the run during the summer. Just 2.5 miles but I think we will do a lap warm up before and after so will be nice to get some mileage in.

Feel like I have done nothing at all lately since Kildare. One plus at least is I have donw up my training plan for Dublin starting next Monday (with a rest day :) ). 22 week plan to allow for some easier weeks on the weeks of the race series and for baby due in September :eek:

First week of the plan below (P&D up to 55 mile pw plan).

Monday Rest / Cross Training
    Tuesday Lactate Threshold 8 miles w/ 4 miles @ half mara pace
    Wednesday Rest / Cross Training
    Thursday General Aerobic 9 miles
    Friday Rest / Cross Training
    Saturday Medium Long Run 12 miles
    Sunday Recovery 4 miles

So a friend of mine asked me to join him for a 2.5 mile race organised by Clonliffe last night in Malahide Castle. We did a lap of the course to warm up.

2.42 miles in 21:14 @ 8:47 pace (including a pit stop).

So waited around and stretched a bit. Race was a handicap race and as they didn't know me they were going to start me off scratch :eek: but thankfully I gave them my most recent 10K time and got a much more realistic starting point. Course was fairly flat with a couple of small inclines so decided was going to just to for it and see what happened.

Some oldish guys took off 90 seconds before my group and we never did see them. I started with 3 others who set off at quite a pace.

Got settled in just behind them after a couple of hundred metres and felt ok. The other fella opened a slight gap and decided to follow him. Still felt ok but knew the pace was much faster than I am used to. He seemed to be huffing and puffing a bit so I went past him. Went througn the first mile in 7:09 :eek: which is much faster than I had ever run. Kept plugging away anyway.

The second mile was tougher with most of the incline and tired legs setting in. Slowed down slightly and after about 1/2 mile people who had started later started coming past at a steady rate. Was running fairly one paced now but completed the second mile in 7:22 still much quicker than normal.

Didn't have much left to try and pick up for the last stretch but did it at 7:16 pace to finish in 17:29.

Think 45 did the race and I finished 32nd. Lots of seriously fit and dedicated athletes here but really enjoyed it.

Decided to do another lap of the course to wind the legsdown and my garmin died again, but did another 2.5 miles around 9:xx pace when I last checked.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    22 week plan to allow for some easier weeks on the weeks of the race series and for baby due in September :eek:

Congrats.... god you will be well into your marathon training by then. God i better get my plan sorted out. Everyone is so organised. And well done on your run in Malahide yesterday.

Creating the plan is the easy part. Sticking to it is the problem :rolleyes: Still I'll try and just take it week by week and try not to miss any long runs.

Knew there was going to be no running this weekend to went after work with a friend for some hill running in Ardgillan.

5.16 miles completed in 49:09 @9:32 pace. Legs were a little sore from Thursday nights efforts but took it nice and handy and they loosened out fine.

Marathon training plan starts today with a Rest Day :)

8 Mile Lactate Threshold Run with 4 miles at 1/2 Marathon pace.

So the start of my Dublin 2011 training plan this evening. asn't sure what to expect as would be more used to running at a consistent enough pace.

2 miles to warm up both @8:50.
    4 miles @8:09, 8:19, 8:45, 8:43.
    2 miles to cool down @9:01, 9:26.

Wasn't feeling the love this evening started off fine and was holding myself back a good bit so felt I would be fine. With the warm up done I picked up the pace but did not seem able to keep it going for whatever reason. Was hoping to run the 4 miles around 8 minute pace but during the second mile legs just felt heavy. Decided then not to try and push too much on the first day of the plan and just complete the run. Finished the run comfortably enough without worrying about times.

8.02 miles in 1:10:15 average pace 8:46.

Good nights sleep tonight and hopefully will be fine tomorrow evening.

Wednesday 1st June. 9 Mile General Aerobic Run.

Yesterday was meant to be a rest day with this run today but another commitment tonight meant I did this yesterday.

8.95 miles in 1:20:54 average pace 9:02.

Ran the first 3.5 miles with a friend of mine and then had to come up with a route to make up the distance. Legs were definitly feeling the efforts of the day before and though I slowed down slightly in the last second half of the run this was nothing significant. More impressed with how I seem to be able to keep going now when the legs are tired.

Next run is a 12 mile LSR of Saturday so should legs should be rested by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Horrified to see that the P&D 22 week plan has started already. Was planning to go with it myself but surgery last Monday has put that on hold for at least 3 weeks.

What target do you have in mind for Dublin, with your results to date 3:30 to 3:45 should be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

nice pace there yesterday!

slowsteady wrote: »
    Horrified to see that the P&D 22 week plan has started already. Was planning to go with it myself but surgery last Monday has put that on hold for at least 3 weeks.

What target do you have in mind for Dublin, with your results to date 3:30 to 3:45 should be possible?

The plan is only 18 weeks but Istarted early to allow for new arrival in September. Starting in 3 weeks should be fine for you.

My target for Dublin at the start of the year was 4:15 which soom became Sub 4. Would be delighted with Sub 4. Based on 1/2 Marathon time McMillan has me around 3:45.

Not going to worry about it too much for the moment and will see how the training goes.

jcsmum wrote: »
    nice pace there yesterday!

Nice pace but nothing easy about it as you know. Also picked up first war wound already. Sock full of blood when I took off my runner. 4th toenal had been digging into middle toe which produced a nice mess :D

Good to get one in early.

some nice running there pistol. well done.

• Advertisement

LSR this morning. Plan was for 12 miles but the way the route worked out it was 13 back to my house. Got out nice and early just before 8am. Was still warmer than normal at that time.

13 miles completed in 1:58:50 @ 9:08 average pace.

Felt a lot better during this run than during the week. Had planned to try and run at 9:15 pace but ended up being slightly quicker. Felt I had to check my pace quite a lot to get it right but settled into a nice tempo. " tough hilly stretches in the run as well and was nice to go up them ok.

Only minor problem was picking up a stitch with about 1/2 mile to go.

Best of luck to everyone running Cork on Monday.

Nice going P on the LSR. Thanks again for the recommendation, there again this morn.

Weekend was hectic after Saturday morning with golf in the afternoon, a 30th birthday party in town on Sat night, golf sun morn, visit to outlaws sun pm, golf with father in law on mon and back last night.

Thank God all my golf commitments are out of the way for a while and I can concentrate on my training program now. Missed my 4 mile recovery run so just went out this evening for a general run. Was hoping to do a 10 mile run that was planned for later in the week but knew early I wasn't feeling the love.

Restricted it to 5 miles and treated this as my recovery run. Back to normal from tomorrow with an 8 mile run with 10x100m strides.

5 miles in 45mins @ 9:00 avg pace

8 mile run last night with 10 strides of 100 metres thrown in. Am a novice at these sort of workouts so any comments or suggestions on any of the below would be appreciated. Set the garmin up for the intervals and allowed a minute recovery between each.

Warmed up with 2.37 miles @ 8:44 pace.

Then did the 10 reps with splits of

:24
    :23
    :23
    :25
    :26

With the minute rest in between I just slowed down and kept on jogging. I think I could have slowed down on these as most of them were between 9:10 & 9:30 pace (I did walk between 2 of them). Felt ok through most of the strides and surprised to see how consistent the times were across the 10 of them.

Would people normally take a short break or rest after this before beginning cool down?

I kept on going though gingerly for a while and eventually stopped for maybe a minute to regulate my breathing.

Felt fine after that and a fairly strong run home of 4.16 miles @ 8:49 pace.

So in total 8.12 miles @ 8:42 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 David Matthews

Good On You Pistol...

You seem to have everything under control. If I can offer to you some advise, you obiviousily pay great attenion to your training. I was often told "never be far away from speed" No matter how many kms or miles we put onto our legs always have an element of speed within your training programme, be it strides.. pick ups what ever!! Don't get too carried away with the time also.. Run as you feel...I used to strides after EVERY session and Run...Normally wind assised (Quickens the cadence... but more importantly increases the feel good factor).
    "Listen to your Body, Don't be a deaf or blind Tenant!"

So the plan for yesterday was a general aerobic 10 mile run. This coincided with a 5 mile race in a grand prix series I signed up to do with some Clonliffe guys. Although I had a good run the night before I decided to do this run with some miles before and after the race.

Race took place in Malahide Castle and was two laps.

Did a warm up lap 2.34 miles @ 8:39 pace.

Race measured by my garmin at 4.82 miles @ 7:51 pace with splits of

7:37
    8:06
    7:48
    7:58
    7:45

This was a handicap race and started off with 3 others. Let them go on after about .5 mile or so. Pushed on myself as best I could and legs didn't feel too bad considering. Would have been happy in advance to run 8 min pace so to come in quicker was nice. Still got passed by a lot of people starting behind me but these are seasoned club runners so I can't complain.

Warm down afterwards of 1.42 miles @ 9:36 pace.

8.58 miles in total.

Rest day today :)

Plan for Saturday morning was 13 miles with 8 @ pmp. After a hard session on Wednesday and Race on Thursday was not sure how legs would feel. Headed to Phoenix Park and planned to do the race series 5 mile route which would bring me back to the car to pick up a drink.

9:11
    8:56
    8:57
    9:06
    9:13

Felt fine at this stage even having come up the Kyber. Had kept an eye on pace and probably looking back these miles should have been slightly slower.

Set off then after a drink. Plan was to aim for between 8:30 & 8:40. Had a pain in my backside checking the pace all the time and trying to slow down slightly or speed up slightly. Legs began to tire a bit as well so called a halt after 6 miles and eased up for the last portion of the run back to the car. Splits of

8:29
    8:27
    8:35
    8:34
    8:28
    8:38

9:00
    9:11 (.3 of a mile)

So in total 12.31 miles in 1:48:29 average pace 8:48 average hr 134 (slightly low, only showing 59 for first mile which is wrong).

This was my first run of this type and definitly found it hard to settle into a relaxed pace without adjusting. Think this would be easier if running with someone else as well.

Recovery run this evening.

5.06 miles in 47:11
    Avg Pace 9:20
    Avg HR 139

39.07 miles for last week.

Plan for this week:

Mon: Rest/Cross Train
    Tue: 10 Miles (general aerobic)
    Wed: 4 Miles (recovery)
    Thu: 8 Miles (4 miles @ half mara pace)
    Fri: Rest/Cross Train
    Sat: 4 Miles (recovery)
    Sun: 14 Miles (LSR)

Total: 40

10 mile general aerobic run:

10.36 miles in 1:34:17
    avg pace 9:06
    avg hr 140

Tried to concentrate less on constantly watching or running to a specific pace today and just run as I felt. Happy with the pace as I was not pushing too hard. Mile 5 was barnageera hill which has a 76m climb in elevation. It's a beast is the only way to describe it.

Although there is a gradual descent for the next couple of miles I just used these to let the legs recover.

Bought some hi-5 isotonic gels at the weekend and having not used them before popped one after 7 miles just to see what the texture was like. Felt grand and finished the run strong.

• Advertisement

Plan was for a 4 mile recovery run after yesterdays 10 miler. Text from friend at 9am asking me if I was interested in doing dome Clonliffe 120th anniversary 2 mile race put paid to that.

1.77 miles to warm up @ 9:43 pace

2 mile race in 14:24

1st mile 6:38 (mainly downhill)
    2nd mile 7:35 (sharp hill for 600 metres)

1.65 miles to warm down @ 9:24 pace

Definitly not what I had in mind waking up yesterday but nice to get a bit of speedwork in all the same.

Plan for this evening is 8 miles with 4 @ half mara pace. Any suggestions on this? Should I just do the 8 miles as a general run after yesterday or should I try and do this as suggested in the program?

Advertisement