Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Any plans lined up yet or u just ticking over?

Just ticking over for a few weeks trying to get more consistent mileage in. Looking at Raheny & Meath 1/2. Apart from that not sure.

Hope all is good with you and new arrival T

Monday

8.29 miles @ 8:56 pace
    Avg HR 139

Few easy miles last night with a bit of fartlek thrown in for good measure. Body didn't like when I started bringing a bit of pace to the run. To be excpected after the alcohol and crap nutrition over the weekend along with a lack of sleep. Felt a lot better towards the end.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|86.84
    June|110.98
    July|95.99
    August|132.96
    September|155.23
    October|144.12
    November|102.96
    December|21.79
    Total|1225.24

Wednesday

8.29 miles @ 9:22 pace
    Avg HR 132

Had to take a day off on Tuesday as my calf/achilles was in ribbons. Worked on it Tuesday night and it seemed to have eased a bit on Wednesday but niggle still there. Headed out with the intention of doing 10+ miles at an easy pace. To be honest most of the above I was in some sort of pain or niggle. Called the run off a bit short as was just sick of the constant dull pain nagging away.

Had an enforced rest day yesterday anyway with a silly o'clock flight to Germany and home at 11:30 last night. Still a bit of tenderness in the achilles so will play it by ear. Not going to do anything stupid anyway just for the sake of clocking up miles.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|86.84
    June|110.98
    July|95.99
    August|132.96
    September|155.23
    October|144.12
    November|102.96
    December|30.08
    Total|1233.53

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'd go for a rub P, you might have a hidden knot that's drawing the Achilles up. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'd go for a rub P, you might have a hidden knot that's drawing the Achilles up. Mind yourself.

+1

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    +1

You agree with me????:eek:

Saturday

3 brisk miles these evening before I get ready to head to a 40th birthday later.

Now to figure out how to fit the training log I bought the fecker into his card ;-)

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|86.84
    June|110.98
    July|95.99
    August|132.96
    September|155.23
    October|144.12
    November|102.96
    December|33.08
    Total|1236.53

Monday

6.16 miles @ 9:04 pace.
    Avg Hr 132

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|86.84
    June|110.98
    July|95.99
    August|132.96
    September|155.23
    October|144.12
    November|102.96
    December|39.24
    Total|1242.69

You agree with me????:eek:
    A first time for everything!

Thursday

3.05 miles @ 8:59 pace.
    Avg Hr 131

Went to physio on Tue night as achilles was still sore during run on Monday and afterwards as well. Gave legs a good working over and told me it was just a bit of tightness. Had hoped to get out Wednesday but had an appointment at 7pm that I thought would be less than an hour which turned into 3. In hindsight I don't think it was any harm to let the legs recover.

Headed down for an easy few miles and catch up with the club gang last night. Although much better could still feel some small discomfort so called it a day after 2 loops. Had a good stretch and all feels fine this morning. Busy weekend ahead but will just try to keep ticking over for the next week or so.

Month|Miles
    January|142.97
    February|106.12
    March|44.40
    April|84.88
    May|86.84
    June|110.98
    July|95.99
    August|132.96
    September|155.23
    October|144.12
    November|102.96
    December|42.29
    Total|1245.74

• Advertisement

Didn't realise it was so long since I logged. Don't have the details of all the runs I have done but just been ticking over running a lot without watch or garmin which is nice for a change. Didn't get out as much as I would have liked over Xmas. Did a nice few hilly miles this afternoon and have the Goal mile tomorrow. In no sort of decent shape but ill give it a go anyway.

Happy New Year to you all and may 2013 bring you all you wish for.

Tuesday - Goal Mile

Happy New Year everyone. So the club organise a Goal mile every New years morning in conjunction with a local GAA club. They have a gravel track around one of their pitches which is around 475M with 2 long straights and sharper than normal bends. Did a bit of a warm up and the first thing that was evident was there was a pretty nasty wind blowing down the track we were going to have to run into 3 times which would make it tough.

Started off anyway with the plan to just run hard and see where that got me. Halfway through the first lap had settled into a nice position and passed a few people that had gone off too eager. Seemed to be a group of 5 gone clear a bit and then someone else about 10 metres in front of me. Didn't look at the watch at all but just focussed on maintaining position over the next bit and gradually closed on the fella in front. Each lap was getting tougher obviously but I didn't seem to be losing any ground and nobody seemed to be catching (not that I looked around). I closed on the guy in front with about 300 to go but knew he was a superior runner to me and that my only chance was to try and go past him and hope he gave up. With 200 to go just before the last bend I got a gap on his inside and went for it. Had him for a while but alas he got me in the last 50m or so. Think the timer was calling 6:12 when I crossed the line (results TBC) but I reckin I finished in about 7th place.

The guy who beat me admitted to being surprised to see me so close to him and a few people normally ahead of me finished a good bit back so was happy with that. Did a small warm down and then went to check my history for the mile to check what my HR was specifically and there was no record of it even though it was there and I reset the garmin before the warm down :mad:

All in all a good blow out to start the year and happy with the time and the effort given the conditions.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|2.38|1
    Total|2.38

Wednesday

6.78 miles
    Avg Pace 9:06
    Avg HR 138

Just a nice leisurly run around the town. Usual extra bit of traffic with all the people starting off their New Years resolutions. Very mild out for the time of year.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|9.16|2
    Total|9.16|2

Thursday

5.12 miles
    Avg Pace 9:10
    Avg HR 138

Headed down to the club last night. Nice warm up and some stretching that followed. Plan was for 6x400m with 200m recovery. The track we use is an old clay track so as I was to discover it was very mucked up and little or no grip on most parts of it. Did 3 reps in (1:32, 1:36, 1:39) but was feeling no benefit and was turning into a mudfest so just jogged around the outside of the track with a few others waiting for the session to finish. Cool down then to finish.

Not a great nights training as it turned out.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|14.28|3
    Total|14.28|3

Saturday

4:42 HR 152
    4:44 HR 155
    4:56 HR 155
    4:46 HR 156

4.62 miles including w/u & w/d

Headed to Ardgillan to do a Hill interval session with the club on Saturday afternoon. One of the fields is a 1K loop and was fairly soft underfoot so would be a good test of the legs. Also the last 300+ metres is completly uphill and very steep so the legs are screaming at you by the end.

Enjoyed the session and definitly think it would have to stand to you. Lost a bit of time in the 3rd rep but recovered well for the last one.

Sunday

9.12 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:08
    Avg HR: 139

Nice Sunday morning run again with some company and a new route which I knew nothing about. Always handy to know. Achilles bit niggly towards end but definitly a lot better than it has been.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|28.02|5
    Total|28.02|5

Tuesday

1:25, 1:30, 1:29, 1:34, 1:31, 1:32, 1:28, 1:32

5.33 miles including w/u & w/d

Plan for last night was run for around 54 mins and include some fartlek in it. Headed down to club and they were planning 8x400M so I did this. Nice slow warm up & warm down at the proper pace. Felt good doing the 400's without pushing it too hard.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|33.35|6
    Total|33.35|6

Wednesday

6.16 miles

Avg Pace: 9:43
    Avg HR: 132

So the aim was to hit a pre-determined pace and that I did. All about building up slowly and by god did this feel slow.

20 mins core work after to make it feel like I had expended some effort.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|39.51|7
    Total|39.51|7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Wednesday

6.16 miles

Avg Pace: 9:43
    Avg HR: 132

So the aim was to hit a pre-determined pace and that I did. All about building up slowly and by god did this feel slow.

20 mins core work after to make it feel like I had expended some effort.

P - Why 'hit a pre-determined pace'? Why not a pre-determined effort or HR?
    Pace is fine if you are on nice flat ground the whole time but once hills come into play you need to work so much harder. With effort/HR you will have a consistent workout. 132bpm seems like quite a low effort so unless you either have HR ranges pointing towards this being tougher than it looks (Which I doubt from your comments) or you were after a 'hard' day yesterday (which your comments on the intervals seem to suggest it wasn't all that tough) perhaps you should be pushing a little harder by approx 5-10bpm?
    I'm just curious and don't mean to be telling you what to do by the way!
    You will know best.

belcarra wrote: »
    P - Why 'hit a pre-determined pace'? Why not a pre-determined effort or HR?
    Pace is fine if you are on nice flat ground the whole time but once hills come into play you need to work so much harder. With effort/HR you will have a consistent workout. 132bpm seems like quite a low effort so unless you either have HR ranges pointing towards this being tougher than it looks (Which I doubt from your comments) or you were after a 'hard' day yesterday (which your comments on the intervals seem to suggest it wasn't all that tough) perhaps you should be pushing a little harder by approx 5-10bpm?
    I'm just curious and don't mean to be telling you what to do by the way!
    You will know best.

Belcarra,

By pre-determined pace I mean average pace. The HR is very low and would be even lower if the spike at the start was taken out. Because I had achilees problems before Xmas the coach has me back at a Pre-Base phase regarding mileage & pace to try and build up again pain free.

I'm following this where I can but the agreement is if I find the paces too slow or not getting anything from them they will be re-assessed. I think this is what will happen in the next week or so.

That all sounds fair enough, best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Thursday

6.11 miles

Avg Pace: 9:01
    Avg HR: 136

Just a normal club run last night. 4 loops and a grand chat on the way round.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|45.62|8
    Total|45.62|8

That all sounds fair enough, best of luck with it!

Translation: That's me told! ;)

:o

:D

Not true at all. I always welcome feedback and advice, especially from my superiors :rolleyes:

Not true at all. I always welcome feedback and advice, especially from my superiors :rolleyes:

Oh God, don't be giving him ideas! :rolleyes:

jcsmum wrote: »
    Oh God, don't be giving him ideas! :rolleyes:

Most of ye on here are my superiors in a running sense :rolleyes: At the moment ;) maybe forever :eek:

Most of ye on here are my superiors in a running sense :rolleyes: At the moment ;) maybe forever :eek:

Ah now, I think you'd definitely manage to take Mr. Slow, even allowing for a race distance of his choice!

Ah now, I think you'd definitely manage to take Mr. Slow, even allowing for a race distance of his choice!

My granny could take me at the moment, but just for that J, I'm gonna hand you your a5s before the year is out! ;)

My granny could take me at the moment

That's quite rude!:D

• Advertisement

Saturday

4:41 HR 151
    4:41 HR 154
    4:51 HR 152
    4:54 HR 152

Hilly intervals in Ardgillan again on Saturday. First 3 similar to last week if a couple of seconds quicker. Last one a bit slower. Great session to leave you in a ball of lactic at the end.

4.6 miles including w/u & w/d.

Sunday

14 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:00
    Avg HR: 139

Headed from club meeting point into Balbriggan to meet up with a gang doing a recce of the route for the Balbriggan 10K/HM route. Did this loop and headed back to meeting point.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|64.22|10
    Total|64.22|10

Advertisement