Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Tuesday

6.18 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:25
    Avg HR: 143

Early morning run this morning. Achilees had flared up a bit with the longer run on Sunday. Was still at me this morning but it's not bad enough that I couldn't run. It's just annoying me. Going to see a different physio tonight to see wht they think. Time to try and nip it in the bud.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|70.4|11
    Total|70.4|11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Tuesday

6.18 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:25
    Avg HR: 143

Early morning run this morning. Achilees had flared up a bit with the longer run on Sunday. Was still at me this morning but it's not bad enough that I couldn't run. It's just annoying me. Going to see a different physio tonight to see wht they think. Time to try and nip it in the bud.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|70.4|11
    Total|70.4|11

Thought you were allergic to early morning runs?! Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you get it sorted.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thought you were allergic to early morning runs?! Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you get it sorted.

Picked a nice morning this morning alright :rolleyes: Needs must. Physio later means no time to run later but hopefully able to run tomorrow ;)

Wednesday

3.08 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:32
    Avg HR: 131

So went to new physio last night. Found her very good. Great attention to detail. Few knots found in Soleus muscle which is causing tightness behind Achilles. So left armed with specific stretching for this muscle and instructions for no speed work or long run for the next week or so.

The worst part was her suggestion not to race Raheny on Sun week. Will see how it feels nearer the time but for the moment just short runs at an easy pace.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|73.48|12
    Total|73.48|12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'd go for a rub P, you might have a hidden knot that's drawing the Achilles up. Mind yourself.
    So went to new physio last night. Found her very good. Great attention to detail. Few knots found in Soleus muscle which is causing tightness behind Achilles.

Who de man? :D

• Advertisement

You know what they say, 'self praise is........' :rolleyes:

You know what they say, 'self praise is........' :rolleyes:

Accurate! ;)

I knew what it was but it looks like the previous physio didn't find the location of the pain. Here's hoping this one has :rolleyes:

Thursday

4.62 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:12
    Avg HR: 132

Another easy run last night. No reaction from achilees during the run. Just need to keep it easy for a while. Rest day today.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|78.1|13
    Total|78.1|13

I knew what it was but it looks like the previous physio didn't find the location of the pain. Here's hoping this one has :rolleyes:

No need to apologise, I was right and that's all that matters.:)

You on for tomorrow night?

• Advertisement

No need to apologise, I was right and that's all that matters.:)

You on for tomorrow night?

I'll be there

Sunday

6.18 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:12
    Avg HR: 135

Missed my few miles yesterday as someone called just before I headed out. Had no time then as I headed into town to catch up with a few boardsies. A good but late night was had.

Nice run this evening when I eventually got off the sofa. Will probably wait till Thursday to decide on Raheny but most likely a no at the moment I reckon :(

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|84.28|14
    Total|84.28|14

Tuesday

4.57 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:19
    Avg HR: 128

Just a gentle few loops last night with the club. No speed work. Achilees pain 1-3/10 but still there. Broke is a pair of Brook's Racers while I was at it. Doing one day workshop with Champions everywhere on Saturday which focuses on running mechanics etc.

Will be interesting to see what they say. Interestingly they seem to come at it from a completly different angle to Chi running regarding posture etc.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|88.85|15
    Total|88.85|15

Wednesday

5 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:25
    Avg HR: 141

Was a bit will I won't I run this evening. Glad I did in the end. Ambled through the first couple of miles and then cranked it up a bit. Maybe Raheny could be back on?

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|93.85|16
    Total|93.85|16

Thursday

4.5 miles

3 loops of Gormanston college tonight. Garmin on the blink. Handy enough run.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|98.35|17
    Total|98.35|17

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Wednesday

5 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:25

Was a bit will I won't I run this evening. Glad I did in the end. Ambled through the first couple of miles and then cranked it up a bit. Maybe Raheny could be back on?

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|93.85|16
    Total|93.85|16

Best of luck if you do go racing on Sunday

Sunday - Raheny 5 Mile

5 miles in 35:49
    Avg Pace: 7:09
    Avg HR: 155

So this was a race I had been looking forward to since the New Year but up until late in the week did not think I would be doing due to injury. THings seemed to clear up mostly so was determined to give it a go anyway and see what happens. Had been at a running workshop all day Saturday with Champions everywhere that was really enjoyable. Did quite a bit of movement or stretching that the body was not used to during the day so woke up like a wreck on Sunday. Knew it was just a bit of DOMS and would just have to get on with it.

Got there and did a bit of a warm up. Bumped into Jcsmum, Chinguetti, Marthastew & MrStew and had quick chats beforehand.

Lined up beside a few club mates and shortly we were off. Bit congested at the start and a few delays despite starting well up. Passed lots of people gradually and got into a rhythym. When I checked on my pace I noticed I had the lap pace showing KM pace so basically hadn't a clue what pace I was running. Got through the first mile in 7:05 accoring to Garmin but in reality this was probably 7:12 as I was later to discover.

We were now into the main windy section of the route I was just keeping in the group I was with but noticed the pace seemed to be slipping from quite a few people. Was quite congested here and hard enough to make some progress. Noticed that the lads I had started with seemed to be a good bit ahead. I knew they had probably gone off too quickly but as well as that I was probably behind where I should be. Put the boot down but this turned out to be the slowest mile of the race 7:21

Knew it was now time to start moving now and although running blind regarding pace the effort picked up. After about 2.5 miles some fella was adament he was bringing his car out of his apartment block onto the road even though he was being converged on my runners and a steward was trying to get him to reverse. Also nearly got tripped around here somewhere. Noticed the first of my club mates was now only a few metres ahead of me and went past him shortly afterwards and I guess I picked off the other guy shortly afterwards. Missed the 3 mile marker completly but it shows I ran this mile in 7:02

Made our way down onto the coast and was starting to suffer now a bit. Tried to keep the effort constant while I could. Coast road didn't seem to go on as long for some reason and then turned to face the hill. Mile 4 halfway up it and covered in 7:08

Got up the hill ok and turned left to be hit by the wind and a blinding sun so was hard to judge what was left or ahead. Was just trying to make it to the park where I knew where I would stand then. Running up to the first corner the wind was really strong and pushing us back. When I turned the corner I tried to up the pace but didn't really have it in the legs. Also started to dry wretch about this point. got to the line eventually after all the turns. Last mile was 7:04

Think this was a PB by about 23 seconds on same race last year. would have liked to have been better prepared training wise in the last few weeks but just thrilled to have been able to race it in the end and come through unscathed.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|106.35|18
    Total|106.35|18

Time for a catch up

Tuesday: 5.38 miles @ 9:14 pace. Just an easy run recovering from Sunday.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 9:34 pace. Again another easy run keeping everything ticking over.

Thursday: 4.37 @ 9:19 pace. Bit tied for time so couldn't do speed session with club. Just a few loops. Still a bit cautious about speedwork.

Saturday: 6.14 @ 8:29 pace. A tired run but pace felt fine. Nice to be out in daylight again.

Sunday: 13.22 @ 8:58 pace. Nice hilly LSR around the country roads. Enjoyed this.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|19.36|2
    Total|142.46|23

Tuesday

7.24 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:00
    Avg HR: 136

A windy run last night with a few faster bits thrown in towards the end. Into the wind really was a demon. Still a good few people out running but not many in the aul shorts :rolleyes:

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|26.6|3
    Total|149.7|24

Wednesday

7.34 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:34
    Avg HR: 140

Strong Fartlek run last night. Basically 15 minutes w/u then 33 minutes containing 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, 2 min, 2 min, 1 min quick with double the time running recovery between each one, followed by 15 minute w/d. The key to this is to keep moving and also not to let the recovery pace drop so the overall pace for the session drops. Tough enough in spots as I seemed to hit a hill or into the wind for most of the quicker sections.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|33.94|4
    Total|157.04|25

• Advertisement

Thursday

8.77 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:55
    Avg HR: 131

Midweek long run. Legs pretty tired from the start and never really eased out. Good to get 3 solid midweek runs in though. Should be taking a rest day today but a lot on at the weekend so have to juggle when I can run.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|42.71|5
    Total|165.81|26

Saturday

14 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:53

One of those runs where just nothing felt good. Legs felt like blocks of cement regardless of pace. Lot of negative thoughts about running as well. Glad to have it done.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|56.71|6
    Total|179.81|27[

Saturday

14 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:53

One of those runs where just nothing felt good. Legs felt like blocks of cement regardless of pace. Lot of negative thoughts about running as well. Glad to have it done.
    QUOTE]

Ah nooooo P, it must have been the lack of good company!! ;)

Ah nooooo P, it must have been the lack of good company!! ;)

I know, everyone is running with clubs these days or doing secret training. No more friendly, casual LSR's anymore :rolleyes:

Be back running with me mates from the club next Sunday anyway :)

I know, everyone is running with clubs these days or doing secret training. No more friendly, casual LSR's anymore :rolleyes:

Be back running with me mates from the club next Sunday anyway :)

Ah now, don't say that. Secret training? Who's that?
    Once the ice cream van is back in the Phoenix park, we'll be there! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah now, don't say that. Secret training? Who's that?

Not I, not I.:D;):p

However i'm aiming for the crazy distance of 8 miles at the weekend if anyone would care to join me. Can do the Park if it suits anyone of ye young folk.

Monday

12 mins @ 9:12 pace w/u
    12 mins @ 7:30 pace 145 HR
    12 mins @ 9:11 pace recovery
    12 mins @ 7:32 pace 142 HR
    12 mins @ 8:54 pace cool down

7.16 Miles
    Avg Pace: 8:23

The aim of this session is to try and do the 2 quicker bits with a fair bit of effort but not all out. Ideally the result should be the same in terms of effort & HR. this is what happened here. First one was tougher as a lot of it was into the wind but worked an easier part of route for 2nd one. Ideally it should also be a circuit/loop you run couldn't think of one long enough suitable at night without stops so just based it on time. Happy with how it worked out.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|63.87|7
    Total|186.97|28

Tuesday

7.07 Miles
    Avg Pace: 8:47
    Avg HR: 133

Easy enough run last night with a bit of fartlek thrown in after warm up. 11 minutes in total (1,2,3,2,2,1) with double the recovery time between each faster bit.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|70.94|8
    Total|194.04|29

Wednesday

8.9 Miles
    Avg Pace: 9:43
    Avg HR: 129

Medium long run this evening. Did it with a friend from work so a little slower than normal. Rotten evening with wind and rain.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|79.84|9
    Total|202.94|30

• Advertisement

Friday

7.04 Miles
    Avg Pace: 8:31
    Avg HR: 139

Down with the in-laws for a couple of nights. Got out for an hour around lunchtime. Nice to have a bit of decent weather to run in for a change.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|86.88|10
    Total|209.98|31

Advertisement