Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Saturday

5.06 Miles
    Avg Pace: 8:21
    Avg HR: 143

Headed into the park on the way back home. Did a loop easy around furze/chesterfield easy first then one around 7:30 pace and finished with an easy loop. Should have done another faster loop but was tied for time and definitely didn't feel like I had it in the legs so happy to call it a day.

Sunday

13.48 Miles
    Avg Pace: 8:18
    Avg HR: 135

Few of us from the club headed over to Bohermeen for a recce of the course. Lovely morning and apart from missing a turn on the first loop all was grand. Pace a bit quick for an LSR but a good workout on tired legs.

Nearly 49 miles for the last week. Happy with that.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|105.42|12
    Total|228.52|33

Tuesday

1.55 Miles w/u @ 9:10 pace

3:26 Max HR 150
    3:30 Max HR 150
    3:30 Max HR 152
    3:32 Max HR 151
    3:32 Max HR 151
    3:33 Max HR 151

1.56 Miles w/d @ 9:27 pace

6.28 Miles total

Club session last night which we did on the track which is clay. With the recent weather the track was in poor shape and basically felt like running in treacle for most of the reps. Was a tough session because of this but glad to keep the reps somewhat consistent. Pace a little bit off but putting this down to the surface as much as anything else.

Young fella was sick yesterday evening and now my throat is killing me this morning. Hope I'm not coming down with something.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|111.7|13
    Total|234.8|34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

oh the dreaded 800s. They're a killer alright. Hope the little man is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Down with the in-laws

Here Here! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    oh the dreaded 800s. They're a killer alright. Hope the little man is okay.

Ah he's grand I think, hoping to do his first 5K on Saturday. I'm also grand thanks for asking ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ah he's grand I think, hoping to do his first 5K on Saturday. I'm also grand thanks for asking ;)

Wait for the vommitting bug hits the house, usually the week of the race!!

Thursday

4.56 Miles

Avg Pace: 9:01
    Avg HR: 132

Bit under the weather last couple of days. Got out for an easy run with the club last night and felt ok. Pretty wrecked this morning though after a few nights broken sleep. Will just have to soldier on.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|116.26|14
    Total|239.36|35

I do beg your pardon :) Good luck to you BOTH in the 5k - mind don't clip too many heels with the buggy!

Saturday

10 Miles

Avg Pace: 9:11
    Avg HR: 134

In the throws of man flu at the moment. Anything I seem to do takes a load of energy out of me for some reason. Was in the park on Sat morning as the other half was doing the OT 5K so I was on buggy/supporting duty. Spotted SunflowerRo amond the frontrunners and looked like she ran a good race (although it took a good few shout outs to get her to acknowledge my support :rolleyes:)

Headed back home and was meeting people for a run at 3 with the aim of doing a few miles and long run on Sunday. They were doing 10 miles so I ended up doing that with them. After first couple of miles everything was fine and could have run for longer no problem. Later on that night though and the next morning I was wrecked.

Will be just playing it by ear for this week hoping to shake whatever I have and make the start line in good enough shape to race next Sunday.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|126.26|15
    Total|249.36|36

Ro was probably looking to see where the cameras were! ;)

• Advertisement

Ro was probably looking to see where the cameras were! ;)

That's true actually cause the camera was beside me when I first spotted her and she ignored me :rolleyes:

Monday

4.62 Miles

Avg Pace: 8:52
    Avg HR: 135

Feeling a bit better and HR seems to be lower after initial spike which would be a good sign I suppose.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|130.88|16
    Total|253.98|37

Tuesday

1.51 Miles w/u @ 9:18 pace

1:33
    1:35
    1:34
    1:32
    1:26

1.47 Miles w/d @ 8:59 pace

4.61 miles total

Club session last night but we were keeping it easy enough with most people doing Bohermeen at the weekend. Few 400's to keep the legs ticking over.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    Total|258.59|38

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Tuesday

1.51 Miles w/u @ 9:18 pace

1:35
    1:34
    1:32
    1:26

1.47 Miles w/d @ 8:59 pace

4.61 miles total

Club session last night but we were keeping it easy enough with most people doing Bohermeen at the weekend. Few 400's to keep the legs ticking over.
    That last lap was much quicker than the rest...was it just an end of session blow out at full tilt?

belcarra wrote: »
    That last lap was much quicker than the rest...was it just an end of session blow out at full tilt?

Just ran the last 100 at full tilt.

No slacking in OUR club because of upcoming races. :cool:

No slacking in OUR club because of upcoming races. :cool:

Maybe you should rest up a bit :eek:

Friday

2.88 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:55
    Avg HR: 137

Wife had stuff on Wed & Thurs evening so no running. Out for what can only be described as a crap run. Just feeling tired and coughing and spluttering. Stopped as I thought I was going to puke at one stage. Lovely stuff.

Sunday - Bohermeen 1/2 Marathon

13.17 miles in 1:39:27
    Avg Pace: 7:33
    Avg HR: 149

So the aim was to give 1:40 a bash here and see how I got on. Wasn't a bit confident leading into it. Great to meet some of the boards celebs in advance with CL looking about as enthusiastic for running as I felt.

Got going anyway after a short delay with traffic/people being late and crowd spread out quickly enough. Found myself running with someone from the club also hoping for 1:40. First 8 miles were all a couple of seconds either side of 7:30, had been having plenty of negative thoughts from the first couple of miles about sustaining the pace for 13.1 miles and wondering how I would manage it.

Legs were fairly shredded at this stage and I definitly felt like I slowed a bit at this stage and my club mate gradually pulled away. Popped a gel at this stage but don't think it did anything for me. Was still working hard but mile 9 & 10 dropped to 7:40 & 7:46. Was a bit in no mans land with club mate now around 20 metres ahead of me when a fella from Mullingar came up to me and I tried to go with him. Just then I heard Chinguetti behind me and he basically came up and gave me a talking to for the next couple of miles, mile 11 being 7:36 as the 3 of us worked together and gradually got re-united with my club mate. Mile 12 was 7:40 which was a good effort taking account for the hill. At this stage it was just a case of everyone for themselves for the last mile or so. Just dug in as hard as I could passing a couple of people in the last mile finishing in 1:39:27

Thats a PB of 3 minutes for me so thrilled with that considering most of my running has been about trying to build up endurance so far this year and a small bit of interval training.

Great to catch up with everyone again after the race and actually talk to Chinguetti as opposed to scowling at him :)

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|16.05|2
    Total|274.64|40

That's fantastic P, delighted for you. I'll ignore your comment on Ray's log - I'm not one to hold a grudge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ok now P, i spoke to you on three times cause the scowling was fierce (i've an awful pain in my left temple with the dirty glare you were sending my way:D) over 2 miles or so.

I had some cracking lines that i was afraid to use such as 'you're no quitter like Rory McIllroy' and 'What would Meno do?' but i'll keep them for another day when i wander up besides some Boardie for a chat. Fair play to Anto, i had a nice chat with him when i met him on the road about 12 miles in:p

But seriously, fair going yesterday and well done for keeping going went it would have been far easier to ease it.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5 miles easy without the watch. Legs were fairly banjoed after Sunday but nice to ease back into it this evening.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|21.05|3
    Total|279.64|41

Thursday

4.68 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:17

Few easy loops with the club last night. Lovely evening for it. Legs still tired but ok. Started doing a few exercises at home on Monday so it's a combination of that and race really.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|25.73|4
    Total|284.32|42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thursday

4.68 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:17

Few easy loops with the club last night. Lovely evening for it. Legs still tired but ok. Started doing a few exercises at home on Monday so it's a combination of that and race really.

Really? Dublin was sh1t last night. How can Balbriggan be that much nicer and so close??:eek:
    (it is Balbriggan, ya?)

belcarra wrote: »
    Really? Dublin was sh1t last night. How can Balbriggan be that much nicer and so close??:eek:
    (it is Balbriggan, ya?)

Definitely not lovely. Left out the sarcastic face :rolleyes:

Sunday

13.5 miles
    Avg Pace: 9:10
    Avg HR: 139

This week has mostly been about recovering from Bohermeen but started doing some core work and small bit of weights at home which as a result left the legs fairly wrecked for this and DOMS in certain areas. Was just a case of getting the run done and felt pretty poor by the end of it. HR pretty high for that pace but maybe it was fighting the wind a bit. Will keep an eye on it anyway.

No immediate plan at the moment. Local race on this Sunday and leaning towards the 10K instead of the 1/2 marathon. Won't be targetting a time or anything, just supporting the race.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|39.23|5
    Total|297.82|43

Tuesday

4.34 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:40

Club session last night. Easy w/u followed by 3x800 on slippy track followed by w/d. Legs still quite tired but hopefully adjusting to new exercise regime. Short term pain and all that stuff. Entered the 10K race on Sunday. Nice hilly course but will give it a bash and see what happens.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|43.57|6
    Total|302.16|44

Thursday

6 miles
    Avg Pace: 8:39

Just general club run this evening. Wedding on tomorrow and funeral on Sat morning so prob won't get out before race on Sunday. Decided gonna run it with no watch and see how it goes for a change.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|49.57|7
    Total|308.16|45

Sunday

Balbriggan 10K in 44:49

6.07 miles :mad:
    Avg Pace: 7:23
    Avg HR: 153

So this was a local charity race that I wanted to support. Wasn't sure how I was going to approach it but pretty much decided to give it what I had and see what happened. Raced it pretty much on feel with only the very odd glance at the garmin to see what was happening. Course was very testing with 4 significant sharp hills that wiped out the legs and a couple of other minor inclines that had to be tackled. These also had downhills so the legs took a bit of a pounding.

Mile splits were (7:01, 7:25, 7:26, 7:42, 7:37, 7:10, 6:57).

First mile was probably a bit quick but there was a big downhill to start. Mile 4 was fairly flat from what I remember but not sure what happened there. Maybe I switched off a bit but I was definitly hurting at this point and glad to be able to pull back a bit of time towards the end.

The time would be a PB for me over 10K but with the course being 250 - 300M short I won't be claiming it. All in all a good workout and something to build on. Should be able to run a good PB on a flatter course hopefully.

Month|Miles|No Runs
    January|123.1|21
    February|135.49|17
    March|55.64|8
    Total|314.23|46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

How are the legs after Bohermeen now...?

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    How are the legs after Bohermeen now...?

Legs seem grand. Haven't been doing a whole lot though in comparison to others. Time to up the miles again.

Advertisement