Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just logging my plan for this week. Am in Galway Fri night/Saturday so have changed plan around a bit to suit.

Mon: 11 miles medium long run
    Tue: 4 miles recovery
    Wed: 10 miles w/5 @ half mara pace
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: 7 miles general aerobic
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 18 miles LSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

pistol_75 wrote: »

Was starting to flag when I spotted jcsmum & shazkea and they gave me a good boost. Seemed to get a second wind and got to the finish in chip time of 37:45 with last mile in 7:44.

Excellent running, congrats. You're welcome for the shout out, glad we could help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on saturday pistol. Glad to see that roping you into the front of wave 2 didn't hold you back too much. And at least we managed to get our faces in a few photos as a result :P

Sorry for postponing the LSR yesterday too, but I don't think many of us would have made it for 10am in the end. Midday was enough of a struggle as it was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great result pistol. you were looking very relaxed and confident when i saw you. Well deserved you have been training so well lately. well done again

Not at all. My plan was to meet the out laws at The Zoo after my run but the weather put them off. Much as I love you all I didn't fancy driving up and back to Kildare and then back to Balbriggan.

• Advertisement

Monday - 11 mile medium long run

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100119237

After toasting Darren Clarke's win on Sunday night I was not looking forward to this run too much. Brought some water with me and decided I would stop every 3 miles and take on some water to replicate what happens in DCM.

First couple of miles were a struggle but I think it was the body just waking up again as felt a few twinges here and there. After that the run was nice and steady. Even managed to take in barnageera hill which was tough.

11.02 miles

Avg Pace: 9:10
    Avg HR: 140

Tuesday

4 Mile Recovery Run

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100444707

3.95 miles in 36:59

Avg Pace: 9:22
    Avg HR: 133

Standard boring enough recovery run. Find it hard to get excited about these for some reason.

Wednesday

Lactate Threshold 10 miles w/5 miles @ half mara pace

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100648118

Wasn't looking forward to this but wondered if moving it later in the week would help.

3 miles to warm up @ 9:19, 8:59 & 9:09

Did a bit of a stretch and then started into the 5 miles. My 1/2 mara PB is 8 min miles so tried to stick to this pace as best I could.

Some parts of it were tough but splits were:

8:02
    7:59
    8:01
    8:11
    7:56

Finished off with 2.1 miles warm down back home and even though a lot of this was uphill and felt like I was dragging along pace was still around 9 min miles.

Total:

10.1 miles in 1:26:37
    Avg Pace: 8:34
    Avg HR: 138

Thursday was a rest day and was heading to Galway at 8am on Friday so missed my planned 7 miles on Friday.

Great time in Galway Friday night. No takers for LSR tomorrow. Ah well.

Great time in Galway Friday night. No takers for LSR tomorrow. Ah well.

I would love to but i feel a hangover brewing :D

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    I would love to but i feel a hangover brewing :D

Have I told you how much I hate you :rolleyes:

Have I told you how much I hate you :rolleyes:

:D I am not so sure you would want to be in my shoes this morning. Hope the LSR went well this morning.

Sunday

LSR

15 miles in 2:19:51

Avg Pace 9:19
    Avg HR 136

This was always going to be a tough one for various reasons. Did a recce of the 10 mile course to start with. Found it a long drag up Chesterfield avenue and the hill towards the end think its acres road its called is definitly a toughie. Not that long but definitly steep and the road does not flatten out for a little bit afterwards.

Had hoped to do another 8 but leaving the car after refreshments was just not feeling any love for it. Legs were hurting which is strange for me at this sort of pace and soon started to lose the will to live. Managed to squeez 15 out of it which is not too bad I suppose.

Looking forward to getting ack with the group next week.

On another note my runners have approx 550 miles in them so decided it was time to pick up a new pair this afternoon. Not sating the runners were anything to do with run today but was feeling a bit of discomfort around my left ankle.

Sports massage planned for tomorrow and then we start another week all over again.

Well done pistol. That was a tough run i am sure. We came up that hill too yesterday at acres road towards the end of our run and i didn't like it either :eek:

Monday

Recovery Run

5.04 miles in 46:43

Avg Pace: 9:17
    Avg HR: 136

Warm evening and legs were definitly hurting. Took it handy throughout apart from the guts of a mile when a fella I know caught up with me and I ran and had a chat with him. This brought the average pace down below what it should have been.

Had sports massage after the run so hopefully this helps ease the legs.

Tuesday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102273631

Bit all over the place this week with LSR on Sunday and Thursday & Friday more or less tied up with other stuff.

Just a gentle 4.2 miles in new runners to break them in. Still a bit of a dull pain in the calf starting off but was fine when running. Have wiped history from my watch but know Avg pace was slightly under 9 mins and HR somewhere in 130's.

Hoping to do 10 mile midweek long run with someone from work this evening and then rest up for a couple of days.

Wednesday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102273654

10 mile general aerobic run

10 miles in 1:35:57

Avg Pace: 9:35
    Avg HR: 131

A very slow midweek run. Met with someone from work which definitly helped. Body was creaking from 4th day in a row although never felt like the run was a struggle.

Calf still sore but got no worse than it had been. Picked up a stick so plan on giving it a good going over with that to try and loosen it out before next run on Saturday.

Off to see Keith Barry tonight. Maybe I can get him to hypnotise me to feel no pain or mental anguish during runs :rolleyes:

Sunday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103355599

18.6 mile LSR in 2:53:07

Avg Pace: 9:18

Calf was really sore on Thursday but improved on Friday. Had hoped to meet up with the gang on Saturday morning but decided to give it another days rest.

Wasn't sure how it would react as the miles went on but it felt fine throughout this run thank god. Ran from home to Drogheda, stopped at a garage to buy a drink and came back. Really enjoyed this run and felt strong most of the time. Thrilled to get a run of this distance in so early in the program as well.

Am doing the Moone Kilomarathon next Sunday so will not be pushing it too hard during the week.

Sunday

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103355599

18.6 mile LSR in 2:53:07

Avg Pace: 9:18
    Ran from home to Drogheda, stopped at a garage to buy a drink and came back.

What was the road like out to Drogheda P was it busy. Did you got right into the town or just as far as the Dunnes on the outskirts
    Great running BTW

Nules10 wrote: »
    What was the road like out to Drogheda P was it busy. Did you got right into the town or just as far as the Dunnes on the outskirts
    Great running BTW

Went as far as the Esso garage just past the railway bridge. Most of the road it fine and plenty of room. Just a couple of spots where the hard shoulder is fairly tight.

• Advertisement

Monday

Recovery Run

5.04 miles in 46:53

Avg Pace 9:17

Garmin was acting up so went with old stopwatch here. Pace could have been a little slower but felt fine. Legs slightly stiff but nothing to write home about.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|5.04
    Total|601.80

Wednesday

General Aerobic Run

12.07 miles in 1:47:38

Avg Pace 8:55
    Avg HR 137

Not a great start to this run being attacked by a seagull again meant the first mile was much quicker (8:42) than planned :mad:

Really enjoyed this run and just ran by how I felt trying not to put that much effort into running quickly. Discounting first 2 miles and last mile warm down splits were between 8:46 & 9:01 for the other 9 miles.

Trying to decide between now and Sunday how to run the Kilomarathon. Options are LSR (not likely), PMP run or just race it and see how it goes.

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|17.11
    Total|613.87

Sunday

Moone Kilomarathon (26.2K)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104858760

16.29 miles in 2:18:55

Avg Pace 8:31
    Avg HR 147

Had entered this race as it's pretty close to my inlaws and as well thought it would be a good test at this time of year. Of course had not reckoned on going out to watch the Dublin match with my father and brother in law but thats another story.

Run went well but found it tough to keep to my planned pace at certain times. Started off a bit quickly but rained the pace back in fairly quickly. Could feel a stitch coming on after about 4K but got rid of that ok. Kept fairly steady pace after that until between 22 & 24K which was on a long straight road I kind of lost the will to live a bit and even walked for about 60 seconds.

Picked back up and finished strong. Happy with the time and the average pace but I could not have run much further.

Preperation will need to be better for future races (not 6 pints the night before).

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|33.4
    Total|630.16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you, that is a great pace! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done you, that is a great pace! :)

Oh but such a struggle. Nice to have raced beyond half marathon though. No way I could have handled any further at that pace.

See you on Saturday morning if your around and there is no golf planned :)

Well done P great run and with those pints sloshing around inside you too. but ya just had to toast the dubs win would be a sin not too. ;)

Tuesday

Recovery wasn't great following Sunday and got hit by a stomach bug on Monday evening. Thankfully all seemed to have cleared up by yesterday evening so just headed out for 5 miles to see how the body was.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105185237

5.14 miles in 46:99

Avg Pace: 9:00

This probably should have been at recovery pace but legs felt surprisingly fresh considering so just went with how I felt without putting any undue effort in.

Todays plan has 8 miles with 5x800m @ 5k race pace. I plan to do a couple of miles warm up by running to an old track in the area and can get what my 5K pace should be roughly from McMillan. How long should the recovery be between each 800M?

Based on my 5 mile time (37:45) I should be completing these between 3:29 & 3:38 as a long distance runner?

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|38.54
    Total|635.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Training looks to be going great there, well done. Am I right in thinking that you're still a few weeks ahead of the plan?

claralara wrote: »
    Training looks to be going great there, well done. Am I right in thinking that you're still a few weeks ahead of the plan?

Not sure where I am in relation to the plan to be honest. I started 22 weeks out but have had a couple of handy weeks so far. Seem to be struggling to get the 5 sessions in a week and mostly getting 4 and averaging around the 40 mile mark.

Need to try and step it up over the next few weeks. Next week was meant to be another relativly small mileage (31) with the 10 mile on but will see how this week goes and if I need to get more miles in.

Aim is for mid-high 40's this week.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

8 miles w/5x800m @ 5K race pace.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105460044

First time doing this sort of workout so wasn't sure what to expect. Decided on 2 minute rest between each interval and needed it.

2.32 miles warm up @ 8:56 pace

800m in 3:26 Avg Pace 7:00 Avg HR 142
    800m in 3:27 Avg Pace 7:02 Avg HR 144
    800m in 3:26 Avg Pace 7:00 Avg HR 144
    800m in 3:35 Avg Pace 7:20 Avg HR 142
    800m in 3:31 Avg Pace 7:11 Avg HR 143

Had no idea the pace or times I was running until I came home and uploaded data. Times seem to be ok to me. Was very windy and strong headwind on the backstraight. Bit of a dip on 4th rep not sure what this was down to as they all felt equally difficult. At least I picked back up a bit for last rep.

3.33 miles warm down @ 8:54 pace

Total 8.27 miles in 1:07:52 (rest time removed)

Avg Pace: 8:10
    Avg HR: 134 (includes rest time)

Month|Miles
    January|47.23
    February|33.22
    March|63.40
    April|85.47
    May|84.92
    June|131.10
    July|151.41
    August|46.81
    Total|643.57