Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rocky Road to Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff P, glad to hear form is good. See on Mon at the finish line...try not to puke on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

shazkea wrote: »
    Good stuff P, glad to hear form is good. See on Mon at the finish line...try not to puke on me :D

Look forward to it. Just had carrots for dinner :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hogging the camera again are we?!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Hogging the camera again are we?!

Yup, need to make sure your personal videos have star quality :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What time are you abondoning your post for the pub?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    What time are you abondoning your post for the pub?

T+4:29:59...:D

Are you doing live reports from the finish line for RTE?

Number 5541 collected from the Expo safe and sound. Bumped into Nules (who told me I looked very nervous :eek:), sunflowerro who was debating what colour kinetica tape to get, chinguetti determined to get as many free nature valley bars as he could.

Also got tracked down by maryk on the way back to the car.

Now what have I forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Number 5541 collected from the Expo safe and sound. Bumped into Nules (who told me I looked very nervous :eek:), sunflowerro who was debating what colour kinetica tape to get, chinguetti determined to get as many free nature valley bars as he could.

Also got tracked down by maryk on the way back to the car.

Now what have I forgotten?

But you did :) Hope i haven't made you nervous by saying it now ;) you will do great. Best of luck for monday. Lift is still on offer :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    But you did :) Hope i haven't made you nervous by saying it now ;) you will do great. Best of luck for monday. Lift is still on offer :)

I was just after watching them showing the route on the big screen :)

• Advertisement

I was just after watching them showing the route on the big screen :)

That would do it alright :D Thank god i didn't see that i would have insisted they take my number back ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I always find expos are best get in and get out. Kinda like going to the doctor.

The longer you hang, around the worse as you're on your feet with a bag on your back.

Be good now and good luck

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow. Can sense the nerves doing the rounds. We'll all be grand when the gun goes.

Dublin Marathon 2011

Day started off well and was really looking forward to the race. Got a lift into town with Nules (thanks again), Shaz and support crew. Made way to the start in plenty of time and had a quick chat with the 3:45 pacers.

Race got going and alhough very congested pace felt fine and as easy as it should in the early stages. Into the park and up North Road and then a bit of time to relax on the downhill part. Was always within 10 metres of the pacers and feeling fine. Coming out of the park my feet were starting to give me a bit of bother. Didn't put too much pass on it to be honest. Continued on and up towards crumlin was a bit of a slog and very congested with the traffic cones. At this stage my feet felt like the balls of my feet were on fire. Was getting worried as had never experienced this before.

Knew then that I was in trouble. Didn't know if it was blisters or what. Had worn the same socks I always wear. Only difference was I had stupidly put a bit of bodyglide on the soles of my feet :( In hindsight I think this must have caused friction and was causing the pain.

Legs at this stage were feeling fine but I started to drop off the pace. Walked for about 30 seconds to see if this would offer any relief and it did. Took off again and legs still fine but feet were not letting up at all. Unfortunatly this continued from roughly mile 15/16 till the end.

Saw Vagga & DigiJem pass me at one stage and around clonskeagh claralara & chinguetti came upon me. Thanks to Chinguetti for trying to rally me. I did run with them for a brief period but I didn't want to be holding them up and sent them on. At this stage between all the stop starting my legs were beginning to tighten up as well.

Got to the finish anyway and got soaked for the last mile. Garmin had been acting up as well with the rain and was showing on a different menu. Crossed the line with Ray Darcy who seemed to have great support.

No idea of my time as garmin was fecked and my chip seems to have had some problems. Have contacted the organisers so hopefully they can sort it. For what its worth I think it was probably between 4:15 & 4:20 not that I really care to be honest.

My hope was to get as close to 3:45 as possible with sub 4 a back up on a bad day. Have no idea what time I could have achieved but was still feeling fine at the time my feet started troubling me.

So my second marathon completed and another disaster. A years training down the swanny. When you have days like this you have to wonder if it is all worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:( sorry to hear it. That's the killer about marathons - they take so long to train for and if something goes wrong...

Aww P sorry to hear that. Don't know what to say :(

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for P, you definately had the miles in. My feet were burning from Chapelizod onwards too, it may have been that spray of rain but obviously you got it worse.

Your training is not down the drain, you're now fitter than you've ever been and you didn't run flat out and so could target another marathon in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd echo what mr slow said, you're fitter now than ever so target a few PB's before the year is out. Why not try the waterford half for example?

God knows what happened your feet, I doubt it was the bodyglide, you were saying your DS trainers got soaked in the week and you had to dry them out, maybe it was that?

Ah P I'm really gutted for you but well done for toughing it out and finishing it. It's not a year down the swanny, it's one bad day that did not do your training justice. Chin up, as Mr Slow says you're in good form so learn from this and pick another goal to put this nightmare to bed.

If you give up training, who am I going to beep at with my curb crawling duties :D. Oh and another positive, you didn't puke on me at the end

RayCun wrote: »
    :( sorry to hear it. That's the killer about marathons - they take so long to train for and if something goes wrong...

True Ray. That's what probably makes it so special when they work out. Hopefully I'll experience that some day.
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Aww P sorry to hear that. Don't know what to say :(

No worries Nules. Most of the other races worked out for me really well this year. This was the one I wanted though.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for P, you definately had the miles in. My feet were burning from Chapelizod onwards too, it may have been that spray of rain but obviously you got it worse.

Your training is not down the drain, you're now fitter than you've ever been and you didn't run flat out and so could target another marathon in the near future.

Thanks Mr Slow. Maybe I need a good dose of HTFU as well. When I slowed down to take a gel I presumed I would be able to continue as normal after or even a slightly slower pace to get to the finish but it was like a switch went off somewhere giving me a cop out clause.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd echo what mr slow said, you're fitter now than ever so target a few PB's before the year is out. Why not try the waterford half for example?

God knows what happened your feet, I doubt it was the bodyglide, you were saying your DS trainers got soaked in the week and you had to dry them out, maybe it was that?

Runners were fine as in it was only muck on the outside. Waterford was in my thoughts before the marathon so may see if that works out.

Lowest point of the day was when the 4 hour pacers came up to me just before Roebuck Hill. I wandered over to you and said 'I wasn't expecting to see you today' You obviously didn't hear me and continued on your way.

I thought to myself even the leader is disowning me now :(
    Ah P I'm really gutted for you but well done for toughing it out and finishing it. It's not a year down the swanny, it's one bad day that did not do your training justice. Chin up, as Mr Slow says you're in good form so learn from this and pick another goal to put this nightmare to bed.

If you give up training, who am I going to beep at with my curb crawling duties :D. Oh and another positive, you didn't puke on me at the end

Don't worry I'm sure you'll see me out and about. Was looking for you at the end, thought I saw you and went down that line but it wasn't you. Saved the puking until I got round the corner. Those waste disposal bins come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was surprised to see you on the road and sorry to hear that you'ld had a bad day. i know that anything said here will make the thoughts of Monday any better and you still feel that you've wasted a year but you haven't.

Give the body time to rest and look at your training. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward as i'm doing at present.

Don't let it get you down, keep going and perhaps do 6 months of shorter races will give you a base again for DCM 2012 to attack a time.

Remember all the people who you passed who were unable to finish, they would love to be in your position of finishing and a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Unlucky P. I've blown up in 7 of my 9 marathons i've raced, i know the feeling. Good to meet you beforehand.

Waterford sounds like a good idea. it'll give you some focus for the next few weeks. FWIW i regularly put bodyglide on the soles of my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lowest point of the day was when the 4 hour pacers came up to me just before Roebuck Hill. I wandered over to you and said 'I wasn't expecting to see you today' You obviously didn't hear me and continued on your way.

I thought to myself even the leader is disowning me now :(

:o Sorry to hear about this. In my defence, my mind was a bit cloudy due to lack of sugar going to the brain.

:o Sorry to hear about this. In my defence, my mind was a bit cloudy due to lack of sugar going to the brain.

Too much blood in his alcohol stream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Too much blood in his alcohol stream :D

Pacers would never drink the night before a race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Am absolutely gutted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So sorry it didn't go according to plan but all is not lost. As the lads said, you're fitter now than ever and you know you have it on the right day. Take that from someone whose middle name is 'bad day at the office'... it will all come together again. :)

claralara wrote: »
    So sorry it didn't go according to plan but all is not lost. As the lads said, you're fitter now than ever and you know you have it on the right day. Take that from someone whose middle name was 'bad day at the office'... it will all come together again. :)

FYP!

Pacers would never drink the night before a race ;)

One of the 3:45 pacers I was talking to before seemed to have had a few ;)
    claralara wrote: »
    So sorry it didn't go according to plan but all is not lost. As the lads said, you're fitter now than ever and you know you have it on the right day. Take that from someone whose middle name is 'bad day at the office'... it will all come together again. :)

I know what your saying. Just thought I had it nailed with a 1:42 in the half and putting in the miles regarding LSR and training in general.

Not at all :)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Am absolutely gutted for you.

Don't be. Was watching out for you to come past me but missed you. Hoped your day had gone well when the 4hrs pacers had gone past and still no sign. I think my next Marathon will just be a conservative get round job.

Did I just say next Marathon? WTF? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that it didnt all come together on the day. Seriously though, you are in savage shape so use this base to look forward to something soon down the line. All is not lost!!! :)

Advertisement