Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Community Group

• 22-11-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not too sure if this is in the correct forum, if not my apologies.

I'm basically looking for information on how to set up a local community group with the intention of hopefully receiving funding from the local arts council, VEC, etc. Hopefully someone here should be able to help.

I've been unemployed for two years now and it's tough trying to find work, extremely tough and in these two years I've only signed on for Social Welfare payments for the first time last week. Because of the lack of work I decided to go back and do some training with FAS and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Unfortunately though the job prospects after this course are few and little, especially in Cork. I trained under the TV and Video Production course.

As I'm receiving social welfare payments I have a guilt over me that I'm not contributing entirely to my community. I feel that as I'm receiving financial assistance and I do not have commitments such as a mortgage, children, extra mouths to feed, etc, that I could somehow make up for it. I have the motto of what you take you should give back in some shape or form.

With my current qualification and an avid interest in photography and film I'd like to set up a local photography group. I know there are many of these in Cork City but there's feck all in the area I'm living in and a lot of people aren't aware of the local groups and such. To set up such a group is easy enough though with a group like this you should have the option of giving members cameras to train with and to get other photographers involved with training, this is where the funding comes in. The overall objective of the group is to get people involved in photography and to give a creative outlet to people. There's not much positive PR in the area I live and I think that if people were to get involved and host local exhibitions and try and capture the essence of the community through photography it would be beneficial to those involved and of course the community.

I have been researching the local arts groups and funding initiatives though with the growth in community groups and cuts in budgets, etc. there may not be many options for this group. I am interested in trying to organise fundraising events and contacting local businesses for some sponsorship but I really do not have the experience or idea of how to achieve this.

Also, when setting up a community group must it be registered to the council or as a business? (This is where I fail at this, there's feck all information on how to set up community groups and local councillors have yet to reply to my queries).

There's probably oodles more of information I should give but hopefully someone can help and I can get this ball rolling...

Thanks.

P.

Advertisement