Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Leak - Suspect Gutter Issue

• 22-11-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

This morning after all the rain last night, I noticed in my spare room, in the top right corner where the two walls meet the ceiling of the room, water starting to seep through.

Having just moved into the house I can tell by looking at the gutters that they have never been cleaned out.

I've set out to clean out the gutters, but Im just wondering - would i need to do anything else bar cleaning out the gutters. i.e - if blocked gutters caused this has it done extensive damage?

The patch of wet in the corner would be the amount of a mug of water.

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Certainly clean out the gutters, but the other possibility could be a broken tile - anywhere up the roof, not just where the wet is. Or the main timber at the top of the wall that supports the roof could be rotted - you do not necessarily have to replace the entire roof to fix that, but you need to establish why it is rotted.

Might be worth looking to see if there is a large lump of birds nest in that corner too.

Is there any evidence of an old water stain in addition to the current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi looksee

Thanks for the reply. No previous watermarks on the wall, painted the room when we moved in and I'd have noticed it.

It's right at the corner of the house where two gutters would meet and there is a downspout right there.

I'm hoping its all blocked up and the water had only one way to go - back into the house.

From reading your post I think i should pop into the attic and see can I notice anything in that corner.

If the gutters are jammed with stuff and I clean it out & water doesn't appear again, should I stop worrying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm no roofing expert, I am just going on our own experience. You would probably be safe enough to see what happens after you clean out the gutters - but keep a close eye on it. Its not the best time of year to be doing roof repairs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Thanks so much looksee -appreciate your replies.

When I got home from work yesterday it had dried out, Also last night heavy rain but no leak.
    Cleaning the gutters at the weekend and ill keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for the help, gent.

Advertisement