Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards deal - great acupuncturist

Options
  • 22-11-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

The boards deal this week is for an intro session with a really good acupuncturist http://www.boardsdeals.ie/
    I have used him, not for fertility, but other problems and he has multiple testimonials on his site from happy new parents.
    He is a very talented acupuncturist and a great guy, as well as parent himself.
    This is a good opportunity to try this out if you were thinking about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is there any evidence that acupuncture increases the chances of concieving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Decreasing stress will increase the chances of conceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

a quick google got me this: http://www.trying-to-conceive.com/naturally/how-can-acupuncture-help-when-trying-to-conceive/
    Not sure if there is any definitive studies, but I was only making people aware the offer was there if they were considering it, as it is quite a common alternative treatment used my people TTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dave! things that acupuncture is waffle and you may as well pour whiskey out to the fairies and ask for a child, and while he is entitled to his opinion many people have found acupuncture to be helpful.

I really wouldn't suggest trying the whiskey thing tbh, who knows what you'd might end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lynski wrote: »
    a quick google got me this: http://www.trying-to-conceive.com/naturally/how-can-acupuncture-help-when-trying-to-conceive/
    Not sure if there is any definitive studies, but I was only making people aware the offer was there if they were considering it, as it is quite a common alternative treatment used my people TTC

You're right, I'm not aware of any definitive studies on acupuncture for conception in general, and the studies for IVF give all sorts of mixed results.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Dave! things that acupuncture is waffle and you may as well pour whiskey out to the fairies and ask for a child, and while he is entitled to his opinion many people have found acupuncture to be helpful.

Yes that's a fair assessment of what I think :) For a small number of complaints, some people will benefit from the non-specific placebo effects of having any kind of therapy carried out on them, but acupuncture as it is traditionally explained is just pre-scientific superstitious nonsense, yes. Meridians, energy flow, etc. -- all gibberish. You don't even have to use needles!

If some people benefit from it then fair enough, but I wouldn't want them to waste time on treatments with no plausibility and no definitive evidence for their efficacy. I'm sure you wouldn't either.

Just exercise caution and don't spend too much money on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've spent about 600 euros this year at 45 a pop, and it hasn't worked for me, so I'm not going any more.

They recommend that you do it for about three months or more, but I don't want it to eat up anymore of my fertility treatment budget. I found it pleasant enough, and it may well work for someone else, maybe someone with irregular cycles, which I don't have. I've done a lot of reading on it and found that the evidence isn't conclusive enough to justify the expenditure (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone post the name of that acupuncturist? I've only found this post today, the link from the beginning does somewhere else now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I used to live in Germany - my gynaecologist was also a trained acupuncturist and believed it was very helpful to certain patients. I wasn't ttc at the time, but had acupuncture for another condition and found it excellent.

Not all acupuncturists are quacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

lullaby-li wrote: »
    Can anyone post the name of that acupuncturist? I've only found this post today, the link from the beginning does somewhere else now...
    http://www.dan-tien.com/

His name is Dave and he is a dote.

Advertisement