Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas snacks and sweets?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So what will you lot be munching this Christmas when you're watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Will it be Roses? Milk Tray? Quality Street? Lemon's Seasons Greetings? Celebrations?

Do tell.

With the decline in the quality of Roses over the past few years (a LOT of the good sweets have gone) I'm at a bit of a loss. I'll be in England so unfortunately won't have access to Seasons Greetings but am at a loss as I always preferred Roses to all other chocolates in the past. Now I'm stuck.

I'l be having salted peanuts, minced pies and other festive treats but really want a nice tin of sweets to dig into too. Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Celebrations FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Selection boxes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Celebrations, but also chocolate kimberley biscuits! Yum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Celebrations would be my preference, yes. But the world and it's wife knows that my mum is OBSESSED with Quality Street, so that's all we ever get :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wow, Celebrations getting lots of votes (even thought there's no poll :D) :confused:
    Faith wrote: »
    But the world and it's wife knows that my mum is OBSESSED with Quality Street,
    Yup, I can confirm that even in England we know that Faith's mum loves her Quality Street. :D

We were always a Roses family but Cadbury's have managed to do a pretty good job of destroying the variety of sweets on offer over the past few years and while I love my caramels I'm very disappointed with the Selection now.

Ideally I suppose a mix of Quality Street, Roses and Lemons seasons Greetings would do it for me. Decisions, decisions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Celebrations followed closely by Roses. Although I do like myself a bit of Milk Tray too! As for Heroes, UGH!!! They have ruined Heroes! There's only two things I'd eat out of the Heroes tin now - twirl and caramel. They've got all these horrible sweets in it now! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Stuff we get over Christmas usually includes the following:
    Quality Street
    Roses
    Snowballs
    Teacakes
    Selection boxes
    Walnut Whips
    Terrys Chocolate Oranges
    Maybe Celebrations/Heros
    Shortbread biscuits in a tin
    Pudding/Christmas cake
    Various nuts / jellies / biscuits

star-pants wrote: »
    Stuff we get over Christmas usually includes the following:
    Quality Street
    Roses
    Snowballs
    Teacakes
    Selection boxes
    Walnut Whips
    Terrys Chocolate Oranges
    Maybe Celebrations/Heros
    Shortbread biscuits in a tin
    Pudding/Christmas cake
    Various nuts / jellies / biscuits

Same in my parents house.
    It's not christmas without teacakes and shortbread biscuits. I'd also add king crisps to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Since I started baking snacks n goodies for myself I've found the taste of shop bought chocs isn't great, all sugar and no flavour. But these would have to be still up there at Xmas time.

Walnut Whips
    Terrys choc orange
    Salt sticks & pretzels
    Pringles
    Choc n Marzipan
    Pfeffernusse
    Gingerbread
    & lots of other germany goodies from Aldi&Lidl
    If I can get it cherry coke and paprika stick (funny frisch sent from Germany)
    Ferrero of course - you are really spolin uzz
    Roses are yuk now
    Selection box bars Xmas isn't Xmas without a curly wurly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I am seriously addicted to Curly Wurlys, they are the bomb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

M&S American snack mix, it's mini pretzles, mini tortilla chips and nacho strips and mustard bread little snacks all in one box, so nice with a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

In tins of chocolates terms, Celebrations is yer only man.

I've quite given up on Roses after they took out ALL the good ones and filled it instead with crap toffees and cremes.

Will probably have Heroes also, but I still haven't and will never get over the fact that they removed the Crunchie one. The very nicest.

So by default, Celebrations are the only chocolates that have a consistently decent collection. As long as I don't ever find out that they've removed the Maltesers one it should be okay...

Selection boxes, celebrations, heroes...

a bakery opened up recently across the road too, so... :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Ferraro Rocher (or however it's spelt) and Cadburys selection box.
    yummm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Mum the idiot bought Roses even when I asked her not to.
    I'd like to see Celebrations in the house,along with Ferrero Rocher and possibly Heroes.
    The Malteser and Twix kind of selection box and Milky Way ones will get eaten too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Malteasers.. but only in this box..
    Malts-Box-Winter-Design.jpg

or

E200603-MaltesersBucket-1.gif&t=1

:D

+ it's not christmas without some tubes around the house..
    confectionary-tubes-christmas.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Malteasers.. but only in this box..
    Malts-Box-Winter-Design.jpg
    My real eating begins after christmas when they end up selling off all these boxes with christmasy artwork on them for next to nothing.

Usually have a cadbury fudge bar or curly wurly from a selection box which I would never get otherwise during the year.

Usually some box/tin of M&S belgian chocolate biscuits is knocking around. And Leonidas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

After Eights and Terry's Chocolate Orange omnomnomnom :D
    I do a lot of baking as well so I'm sure there'll be cakes and biscuits too, and homemade ice cream. However, tradition is to watch it drinking a huuuuuuge mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows, cream and chocolate shavings (and a shot of Baileys :D) so that's the main plan.
    However, a friend is also sending me over a big box of American drinks and candy so I'm all excited about that too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got a box of Mingles recently, so good. And they come in the same weight - cost ratio Celebrations and Roses come in.

now if only Dunnes were still selling the 30 Ferrero Rocher for €6 I would be set (went through 3 boxes in the month they were on sale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

For me it will be heros, celebrations or Ferraro Rocher :D Nom nom nom!

My boyfriend love his mince pies! I like them but not as much as him haha!

Selection boxes galore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A rather recent tradition in my household has been a giant box of Scots Clan.

clarendon%20scots%20clan.jpg

Like this ^ but the box which is something like 2kg!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm more a savoury gal myself.. lots of pringles and dry roasted peanuts.. :D NOM..

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I absolutely love getting a big Heroes tin, but I haven't seen ONE in Tesco or Dunnes this year! Only the crappy boxes of them :(
    I'll be getting some chilli peanuts and honey roasted ones. They are bang on the money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lornen wrote: »
    I'll be getting some chilli peanuts and honey roasted ones. They are bang on the money. :)
    Speaking of money be careful not to be ripped off with bulk christmas packs, lots of tubs of nuts I saw were very expensive -I think many people just presume it is cheapest.

e.g. in tesco a
    Jacobs Mikado 750G * Rest of Christmas Biscuits shelf
    €10.99 (€14.66/kg)

Jacobs Mikado 125G * Rest of Plain shelf
    €1.39 (€1.12/100g)

So the 750g box costs 30% more per kilo than the smallest pack you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

A Scone & a Mug of Tae Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

anybody know where to buy gingerbread house kits?

we'll be having in king crisps and plenty of roses no doubt!
    if i were still able to eat dark chocolate then we'd be having black magic and after 8s! mmmmmmm (oh ibs how i hate you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

For me its Marks and Spencer belgian biscuits that are sold in a gold and green tin every year. I dream about them all year round and it's always a sad moment in my house when they're gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

anybody know where to buy gingerbread house kits?

Saw a kit in Harvey Nichols in Dundrum the other week. I'd say it's expensive though. Rachel Allen has a recipe for one in her "Bake" book as far as I know?

Advertisement