Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas snacks and sweets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

anybody know where to buy gingerbread house kits?

I saw loads in tkmaxx last year, they were pretty cheap in a couple of different sizes...dunno bout this year though. Making your own could be more fun but I think I'd trust the shop walls better than mine to stay up!

I'm actually dying for a slice of Christmas pudding since I saw this thread:o also not enough people buy chocolate kimberley as presents! I always hope for them and am usually disappointed, and Mam won't buy biscuits for the house since we get given so many.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Can't be forgetting the old reliable.
    282-300w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I made the mistake of opening a bag of these on my own.

Big mistake!

Om nom nom nom.

Definitely getting more for Christmas day, it will be hard not to devour them before then!

Kp_Honey_Roast_Nuts_And_Milk_Chocolate_Honeycomb_250G.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

This thread is making me drool! So many things I have to try now. Never had Lemon's Seasons Greetings before (though I don't like Iced Caramels). What shop did you get the Honey Roast Peanuts and Cashew in? ^^

Things that usually feature in my house at Christmas are Roses, After Eights, Ferrero Rocher, Lindt Chocolates, Vienetta/Romantica, Chocolate Kimberleys, Mallows, Mince Pies and Pringles. Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I got them in Tesco in Limerick. I assume they're available nationwide!

Dangerous!

• Advertisement

I've never ever had a Mince Pie, gonna try em this year for the first time. The one's in Starbucks look pretty savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You've never had a mince pie?!!

M&S lattice mince pies are the business. Their normal mince pies are nice too.

star-pants wrote: »
    You've never had a mince pie?!!

M&S lattice mince pies are the business. Their normal mince pies are nice too.

Never.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I've never ever had a Mince Pie, gonna try em this year for the first time. The one's in Starbucks look pretty savage.
    You're not missing out to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Indeed, if they (and many other christmas foods) were so good they would be popular all year round.

I commented before -Its all a scam dreamt up by the food suppliers who otherwise could not get rid of this muck at any other time of year. Along with the turkey breeders and marzipan makers, its all a conspiracy, they invented jesus too, John the Baptist was a well known turkey breeder. Judas grew the sprouts!

I remember presuming mince pies would have mince beef in them when I was a child and spat the rotten thing out. I wish they were mince beef pies, I remember I was in New Zealand and they had meat pie shops all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

:eek: Scandalous talk!
    rubadub wrote: »
    Indeed, if they (and many other christmas foods) were so good they would be popular all year round.

I commented before -Its all a scam dreamt up by the food suppliers who otherwise could not get rid of this muck at any other time of year. Along with the turkey breeders and marzipan makers, its all a conspiracy, they invented jesus too, John the Baptist was a well known turkey breeder. Judas grew the sprouts!

More heresy! :)

The mince pie is to Christmas what the Cadbury's Creme egg used to be to Easter (before the marketing goons decided to seel them almost all year around).

Mince pies are delicious, I love them :)
    I remember presuming mince pies would have mince beef in them when I was a child and spat the rotten thing out.

Yeah, me too but within two years I was in love with them, they're amazing, food of the Gods (possibly exaggerating now), the food of life itself (definitely exaggerating!).

They're lovely, if you haven't tried them, do so today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

No sign of the Honey Roast Peanuts in my nearest Tesco but I did get a box of 6 mince pies for €1.50! Hopefully they're decent ones..

I also used to think mince pies contained meat and hated them until a couple of years ago when I tried one hot with ice cream and now I love them. Also good with cream or custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The mince pie is to Christmas what the Cadbury's Creme egg used to be to Easter (before the marketing goons decided to seel them almost all year around).
    I think the cadburys marketers would like to keep them to a limit, it is places like €2 shops that get them and sell them off season, one in dun laoghaire had short dated creme eggs 8 for €2, jaysus I was sick that day! -though I think creme eggs might have another "approved season" during the year now.

Hot cross buns can be got all year round now, this is since there is demand as they actually are nice! Though I think you can get mince pies all year round but very small shelf space.
    elekid wrote: »
    No sign of the Honey Roast Peanuts in my nearest Tesco
    They are in my tesco, in a special christmas food section, not with the normal nuts. They are stupidly expensive per kilo, I will wait till jan and pick up a few tubs for next to nothing, got them the last few years for pittance. I spotted maple syrup nuts which sound good. They are all too sweet for me, I have to "dilute" them with regular nuts.

kpFrostedMapleSyrup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Oooh, those vanilla and cinnamon ones sound amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Archeron

Check out the Mr Kipling Christmas ones, I spotted them in Lidl. Rum and Raisin, Christmas cake and christmas pudding slices for 1.50 a box.

I just finished way too may rum and raisins, they are bloody lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

I love Peppermint Bark, so I thought I'd make my own this year by smashing up candy canes and mixing them with melted white chocolate and leaving it set and smashing it up all over again:)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/peppermint-bark-recipe/index.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love Peppermint Bark, so I thought I'd make my own this year by smashing up candy canes and mixing them with melted white chocolate and leaving it set and smashing it up all over again:)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/peppermint-bark-recipe/index.html

I've done that before. It's delicious! Super sweet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It's mostly Roses in this house, but I will definitely get myself some Milk Tray and Butler's Irish Cream Truffles.

I absolutely love mince pies - favourite would be Superquinn ones - already tucking into them during my snow days this week. :D

The only other thing we specifically get for Christmas would be tins of Danish Butter Cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm fairly certain I didn't dream this but I do remember Cadburys selling boxes of one type of Roses sweet a few years back - i.e. I loaded up on boxes of just Caramels! I think it was real anyway. :)

Btw; agree with Cadburys making ****e of Roses. Don't ruin a winning formula!

In our house Xmas = Coke, but we also get a 6 pack of nearly every other type of fizzy drink. Which is why I love a can of Club Lemon but I'd never buy it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

cson wrote: »
    Btw; agree with Cadburys making ****e of Roses. Don't ruin a winning formula!

Seconded, thirded and fourthed - i used to love Roses, especially the Caramel sweets but now they just don't taste the same. :( I always wondered if the 'may contain traces of soya' on the wrappers had anything to do with that...
    cson wrote: »
    we also get a 6 pack of nearly every other type of fizzy drink.

Ditto!

Christmas wouldn't be the same without:

Chocolate Kimberly, Roses (i wish they'd make a 'Classic' version), Scots Clan, Maltesers, Huge box of Milk Tray & Jacobs Teacakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

Pringles, Roses and Teacakes:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Chocolate brazil nuts... on my 6th box already:o oh and selection boxes, but they have to be hidden from me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

This year it's Celebrations, Snowballs, the Christmas peanut M&Ms (these may have to be taken away from me for my own good..), crackers/savoury biscuits and crisps of some variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Celebrations followed closely by Roses. Although I do like myself a bit of Milk Tray too! As for Heroes, UGH!!! They have ruined Heroes! There's only two things I'd eat out of the Heroes tin now - twirl and caramel. They've got all these horrible sweets in it now! :(

Completely agree about the heroes! We musnt have got them last year at home so it's a while since I've had them but we got a present of them in work the other day and OMG WTF!! There are like 4 kinds of sweets and that's it! The crunchy, dream, twirl, timeout - all gone!!! Disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

what are thorntons premium sweets like ??

Dunno bout the premium ones, but the classic ones (currently still 6.99 in tesco for large box I believe) are really nice I think. Girl got them before in work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

We just got the box of Premium Thorntons.

They're all pretty rich. No huge difference between any of them. The Hazelnut one is the only really distinctive one.

Can't wait to crack open that big tub of Celebrations.

Also lots of Pringles, Taytos, After Eights (that will be defiantly eaten at any time of the day :P), and a big Butlers chocolate box, the "dessert" selection, I think. Strawberry pavlova, vanilla ice cream and toffee, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pippin04

Ive had to make do with roses this year and would LOVE to get my hands on Lemons Seasons Greetings (childhood favourite) but I cant find them anywhere..anyone have any tips??

They had Lemons Seasons Greetings in Tesco and possibly DunnesStores coming up to Christmas. Not sure if there's any still about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

Faith wrote: »
    I've done that before. It's delicious! Super sweet though.
    I finally got round to making some! I had a terrible hard time finding candy canes, but avoca had some peppermint sticks that I used and they worked great!
    5304081360_10b1838b3c.jpg

Advertisement