Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Paranormal Society

Options
  • 22-11-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Dear Investigators, Ghost Hunters and Mediums.

I am just starting a thread to make you aware of the Irish Paranormal Society. The Irish Paranormal Society is not a paranormal investigation group. The purpose of the society is to act as a democratic representitive of anyone in Ireland who has an interest in all things paranormal.

The society is currently drafting a constitution which will outline the rules and regulations of the society, most notably the claus that the society will be ran by a democratically elected committee which will be in place for 12 months. At each AGM (annual general meeting) all members of the society will be invited to contest and vote in the election of a new committee to run the society for another 12 months.

Unlike standard paranormal investigation groups this society is open to absolutely everyone and all members will be entitled to attend

-monthly meet ups
    -discounted open investigations
    -guests event lectures
    -talks & conferences
    -foreign trips
    -get a spiffing membership card
    -recieve newletters
    -discounts on some current commercial investigations

Currently the society is putting together a committee of volunteers who will get things up and running as we have no members at the moment to vote a committee in.

We are building a website also but you can get us on irishparanormalsoc@gmail.com

Please spread the word, we hope that everyone will join this and remain part of their teams. As the society is not a team we anticipate it will not affect the team system but simply serve as a social meeting point for all those not in teams or for teams to interact on a regular basis. There are no individuals in this society only members, no member is more or less equal than any other.

We have had an amazing response of people willing to donate their time to get this off the ground.

Thank you very much for reading, we welcome any and all feedback you have.

Our Thanks
    the_society

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

who is running this ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_society

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    who is running this ??

Hi Danny22XX, that was very fast. This is being put together by a number of people all involved in the Irish paranormal community.It is not a money generating project at all, I probably should have stated that in the original post. While there will be a joining fee, probably 10-15 euro per year, all money will go to the society treasurer to purchase things like membership cards. At the AGM there will be a treasurer's report of all money in and out of the society.

Ireland is well overdue a paranormal society of this nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the only question I have is 'why'? Theres been quite a few representative paranormal setups over the years and they all ended up as nothing more than talking shops.

who are the people :confused:

though none of them have ever charged money.

check out http://www.psi-ireland.com/node/45 . PRAofI were also running a Paranorma Alliance which was much the same.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    the only question I have is 'why'? Theres been quite a few representative paranormal setups over the years and they all ended up as nothing more than talking shops.

Well why not try again? There is nothing to lose and this wont affect anyone in what they are currently doing. The world of the Irish paranormal has a small number of events a year which brings people together and these are generally ran by individuals or groups and all the trouble that brings.

By removing who owns this, whos the leader, who is allowed be in and be out we may have a more democratic body who's mission will be do focus primarily on the social aspect of the Irish paranormal scene.

Its really supposed to be fun!

check out http://www.psi-ireland.com/node/45 . PRAofI were also running a Paranorma Alliance which was much the same.

All ran by groups? Which is why, we think, they didnt work.

who is we :confused:

who is we :confused:

Why does that matter!?!? When the committee is finalised I will be more than happy to list the names, contact numbers and blood groups of all members on this forum. But right now I cant say who is in, who is thinking about it and who isnt, especially without their permission to put it up on boards.ie.

Wow.. tough crowd tonight.

Im not trying to stop you by any means. isnt something Im too interested in though, plus the money charging thing is just another way of cashing in on the whole paranormal vibe. but how and ever.

• Advertisement

when i asked to pay a fee i like to know who is asking

focus primarily on the social aspect of the Irish paranormal scene.

Its really supposed to be fun!

the paranormal is meant to be fun? plus, whats the social aspect exactly?

when i asked to pay a fee i like to know who is asking

Well no one is asking you to become a member right now! At least wait until our website is up before wanting to know who is involved. Either way the society is asking rather than the individuals involved, as is the way will 100% off all academic and social soceities in the country.
    maccored wrote:
    Im not trying to stop you by any means. isnt something Im too interested in though, plus the money charging thing is just another way of cashing in on the whole paranormal vibe. but how and ever.

Thats no problem. 15 euro (to be decided by the way) is to help fun events and talks. For example Ciaran O'Keeffe needs to be flown over, the society pays? I dont see the problem with it, its certainly not cashing in as no one involved gets any money out of it. This is the way that every other academic society or sports club works in the country.

Seriously guys .... cool the jets! Some positive feedback would rock! At least something for the first page of the thread?!

i hope you get the numbers you need sadly it doesnt interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 666th

I think this is a great idea. It's about time the paranormal groups in Ireland got together under the same umbrella instead of creating elitist group's that people have to be interviewed to get into.:mad:
    This group seems to be open to the wider community and as far as i can see is not going to be making any money for themselves.

The paranormal community in Ireland seems to have grown over the past few years, maybe in some way due to the Paranormal convention that has been running for a few years now. It would be a good idea for groups if they were able to give each other support and ideas on research for their investigations.

I for one have contacted them and will be attending the meetings as i personally would like to meet other group members not only for social reasons but also to do some brainstorming with them about different types of research.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

People are only curious as youve come here unannounced and declared this society open, but no one knows if you are well known to the paranormal community or who you are at all. I dont think youre a regular here? So its natural you will be questioned.

I think to get this thing off the ground youll need the respect, trust and cooperation of the separate groups, so openness from the outset is the way to go, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I have put myself forward to be a part of this society as I feel it is something that could be beneficial to the Paranormal Community.

Yes people have tried and failed, and I agree, why not try again? It can only lead to a better community to be honest. ( Thats my opinion anyway )

i wish the best to all concerned.

The reason why this hasn't worked in the past is because it doesn't have a point, reason or cause. People get together to talk about the paranormal and then get bored with that.

Still - I swear you wont hear me saying I Told You So :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I welcome this new society, if it doesn't work, there is no loss.

Its a place for people interested in the paranormal community to speak their mind where as currently they can't interact with groups or people in the paranormal field.

And of course it will never take off if its surrounded with all the negativity seen from most posters so far. An open mind would help with an idea like this which is what I thought most people in the paranormal community had...?

I welcome this and wish all involved the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Both are paranormal investigation groups. Would Leinster be happy to go under the banner of the PRAOI and PSI? I certainly wouldnt be happy being part of an organisation ran and accredited to another paranormal investigation group.

This is different as it has absolutely nothing to do with groups.

• Advertisement

we were involved with both of those associations, so I'm talking from experience.

As I say, best of luck to all - just give the whole thing a reason to exist and it'll work.

Ziycon wrote: »

And of course it will never take off if its surrounded with all the negativity seen from most posters so far. An open mind would help with an idea like this which is what I thought most people in the paranormal community had...?

ah now. we all should be allowed to speak our minds. I always prefer to type what i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Personally, I'm all for this. This is being set up for the same reasons I set up the DCU Paranormal Soc, as far as I can tell, but on a national scale. So obviously I empathise. Hell, all we do most of the time is get together and chat, and we've got 60 or so fully paid up members.

I myself may be new to the Irish paranormal scene, but I see this as a positive step away from segregation of interests. Individual teams are all well and good, but having a society such as this will hopefully create a sense of comradery that, frankly, I don't see at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm all for the social side of things .... hell thats a big part of ParaCon. I started a group not long before this one got running with the idea of a small discussion group based on the idea of the original Ghost Club in the Uk (1862). This society seems to have been inspired by the same group so I can see the purpose behind it.

I think the lack of transparancy is doing a bit of damage at this point and when it all comes to light people will wonder why a new boards account was set up just to announce this?

I support this mainly because i know who is behind it and that they have the best intentions. If I didnt know I would be a bit weary.

Thanks 6th,

And everyone else. The reason for the new account was because it is and forever will be the societies account. It wasnt for me to put it up as Im an individual. I still dont see how the real life identities have any bearing on this whatsoever. Anyways ...there it goes. Im involved in this, not the only person involved in this and equal to everyone else involved.

This has been on the cards for a good while now. I think the main difference between this and the Ghost Club is that the ghost club is a closed door group, which is grand but this would be more based on a society exactly liek Urizen said and for the same reasons Urizen would believe its a good idea.

Facebook Page

Grimes wrote: »
    I still dont see how the real life identities have any bearing on this whatsoever.

G, we trust you! Weather its your real life identity or your Boards username!

You know as well as I do that there are so many to be weary of and when money get mentioned its a million times worse!

Dont be afraid to use your face to get people on side. Anyone who's ever dealt with you knows you have the community's best interest in mind and you've been kicking around for years.

Reading the facebook page it looks like theres another annual convention in the works?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Grimes wrote: »
    Thanks 6th,

And everyone else. The reason for the new account was because it is and forever will be the societies account. It wasnt for me to put it up as Im an individual. I still dont see how the real life identities have any bearing on this whatsoever. Anyways ...there it goes. Im involved in this, not the only person involved in this and equal to everyone else involved.

This has been on the cards for a good while now. I think the main difference between this and the Ghost Club is that the ghost club is a closed door group, which is grand but this would be more based on a society exactly liek Urizen said and for the same reasons Urizen would believe its a good idea.

Facebook Page
    You should have said it was an alt account, just to represent the society, because otherwise people smell a rat when someone comes on all guns blazing, with a new account with no history. It makes people suspicious.

Anyhoo, now that its all sorted, good luck with it. Hope it takes off as you want it to.

6th wrote: »
    Reading the facebook page it looks like theres another annual convention in the works?

Possibly an academic conference not a convention. Possibly depending on submissions from investigators.

• Advertisement
Advertisement