Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness - Deleted posts

Options
  • 22-11-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Had a post informing people of an upcoming workshop deleted, a Moderated named g'em said to stop advertising

I don't work for Spinning or have any professional or business reltionship with them.

I asked for an explination from the moderator and am awaiting a reply

The fitness forum discusses Spinning and Indoor cycling regulalry and I post detailed and informative posts to offer anyone assistance when the opportunity arises.

I have been a member of boards and a previoulsy a hands-on moderator in the Mobiles / PDA forum for many years...

This is the first time an Moderator as ever contacted me or even alterd one of my posts let alone delete it!

How can this be sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

previous post with no issue raised about an earlier Spinning workshop, which at least one other reular poster on Fitness fourd helpful (enough that they replied)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056091480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

flywheel I've just replied to your PM, but if you'd rather discuss this here that's fine.

As per the Fitness Forum Charter:
    Advertising for Seminar/ Workshops/ Fitness Events in the Forum
    There appears to be ever increasing traffic in the forum regarding advertising for various fitness-related events. In order to prevent the forum from being over-run with adverts we would ask that any users who wish to advertise an event (either for their own business or on behalf of someone else) first contacts a Fitness Moderator (or preferably all Fitness Mods in the event that one isn't around - we do have lives. Sometimes) to request permission. If the event is deemed suitable for the forum the Moderator will post a thread regarding the event. A contact email should be included so that all inquiries can be directed to the event host.

There will be a 50 post minimum for any users who wish to advertise events.

Please note that the decision regarding suitability of an event for the forum is at the Fitness Moderators' discretion and all decisions are final.

If an event is advertised without the user having first contacted a Moderator the thread will be deleted.

If you are a business owner please note that having a discrete link to your business in your signature is allowed, but constant references to your business in posts will be considered spamming and your posts will be edited/ deleted as necessary and your account may incur a ban.
    the important bit is in bold.

As you've said above you previously posted about a Spinning event (your last post before the one today that was deleted), and you've posted a number of times regarding events by this company. There's a lot of advertising there for one company from one poster.

We're very aware that given the nature of the forum there will be people wishing to publicise events but we would rather that people get in touch with us first so that we can keep track of the various posters and companies to prevent overt shilling and advertising on the forum.

as mentioned i don't work for them so i don't see how i am shilling or advertising...

i am attending the workshop at the weekned and thought i'd post it to inform and maybe meet some fellow boards people at it if they went.. it was clearly of interest as a regular replied

your statement: "and you've posted a number of times regardring events by this company" please list these specifically and explain what isssue you had with each of them

Today you posted a thread about the a Spinning event with this company, you also mentioned this weekend in a previous thread about becoming a Spinning Instructor on November 16th you posted about an education weekend for Spinning Instructors, and in a number of other threads you've mentioned the company. If you don't work for them you're doing a lot of advertising on their behalf :)

We simply ask that if people want to advertise events that they contact one of the Moderators and run it by us first - other professionals in the fitness forum have had no porblem doing that at all and as I said it just helps us keep check on who is posting what, otherwise we'd be over-run with adverts.

g'em wrote: »
    Today you posted a thread about the a Spinning event with this company, you also mentioned this weekend in a previous thread about becoming a Spinning Instructor on November 16th you posted about an education weekend for Spinning Instructors, and in a number of other threads you've mentioned the company. If you don't work for them you're doing a lot of advertising on their behalf :)

We simply ask that if people want to advertise events that they contact one of the Moderators and run it by us first - other professionals in the fitness forum have had no porblem doing that at all and as I said it just helps us keep check on who is posting what, otherwise we'd be over-run with adverts.

OK, if you going list a post about someone specificlaly asking about a course where i linked to info about one and then use it as an example of me advertising - that's hardly fair!

unless you are specific it is hard to answer directly to your 'number of other threads you've mentioned the company' - all i am doing is trying to link questions people ask to accurate info - I've replied in general or linked to resources on their website such as educational PDFs and Videos for helpful reasons and not "advertising" as you keep insisting (examples below)

i have no problem with your rules, but your PM bluntly said stop advertising, which i can't make the connection to my actions as i don't work for them - i am just passoniate about people experiencing a safe and effective Spinning or Indoor Cycling class taught by someone who knows what they are doing and has bothered to take some training about how to deliver it (which is all too rare :()

next time i'll ask beforehand - i hope your final decision will be favourable in that instance

thanks, and if you take a Spinning class, I hope your instructor is qualified so you stay safe and get an effecitve training sessoin :)

e.g.

Answering Q about Spinning and unfit / overweight people (linking to Education and GUide PDFs on Spinning.com)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67134806&postcount=3
    flywheel wrote: »
    it can be... you just need to pace yourself, the instructor should be teaching based on heart rate and rate of exertion (how intesnse the exercise feels for you as an individual)... the last poster was spot on, initially you will be building your fitness base up over the first several (12 weeks or so)... don't feel like you have to do all the things the instructor does (it isn't an aerobics class!) it is your ride and as a new participant the instructor is there to facilitate you and help you build up your fitness and reach your goals over time (not in one class!)... you body will need time to adapt so build up your fitness progressively... a bit of strategy at the start will pay off tenfold in the future...

ensure the instructor spends the time to set your bike up fully, is aware it is your first time in the class so they go though the safety and explain the 'flywheel' effect and how to achieve an efficient pedal stroke

you might find a saddle pad (gel cover) or cycling shorts are more comfortable to wear, also your trainers should have a harder sole (or better yet if you have bikes you can clip into the pedals you can invest in a pair of cycling shoes if going regularly, ask the instructor for advice)

have a read of this PDF guidebook: Spinning: Your Guide To Ride... (it's an American title ;))

keep to the movements outlined in the that guide (bearing in mind out of the saddle movements will be very challenging at first, so work on your fitness and stamina first in the saffle, then add out of the saddle movements gradually). never do any of the moves outlined in the following handout, a qualified instructor teaching Spinning would never ask you do something unsafe / inefficient... Spinning: Keep it Safe

all the best, enjoy!!

Answering Q about Spinning and climing technique (linking to PDFs and rerources on several sites including Spinning)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67010615&postcount=13
    flywheel wrote: »
    make sure your bike set-up is perfect for you... use technique: learn about pedal stroke, how to breath efficiently (belly/diaphragmatic breathing) and find a posture that does not cause fatigue... it does sound like you may be mashing as mentioned above, try build up a circular/oval pedal stroke (see links at end)

as for the Spinning, if you are being taught Spinning(R) by a qualified instructor building profiles based on the various types of classes, then they can definitely help you prepare... you should find the Strength Energy Zone Classes [PDF] will help you prepare for climbs... Endurance Energy Zone Classes [PDF] can help deliver good pedal stroke drills and technique if taught during the class... however, if you are being taught random classes or "aerobics on the bike" then that kind of indoor cycling isn't going to offer any cycling specific skills / training for you

as pointed out by other posters you need to get out on the road to deal with what the road brings your way... in a Spin class if a climb get's too tough you can cut it short, mother nature doesn't allow that on her hills ;) but a Spin class with a proper profile and deliver by an Instructor who knows their stuff can be of assistance

one other thing... like you did with weights, you progressed up with the the resistance you could lift allowing the body to adapt and get stronger, do the same for the hills, if you find that hill way too tough at that grade (incline) / distance, then find one that isn't as high / long and build up from there

here's a bit of reading for you from the bookmarks:

Pedal Stroke Technique:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/perfect-pedal-stroke

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/05/efficiency-of-pedal-stroke-ankling/

http://www.perfectcondition.ltd.uk/Articles/Pedalling/index.htm

Breathing:

http://www.cptips.com/respmus.htm

http://www.bicyclingbliss.com/chapter4.html

Posture:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/09/road-bike-posture.html

all the best,
    enjoy the ride!

• Advertisement

Hi, i'm still waiting to hear if my post is going to be undeleted as i've now clarified the reason behind it.

I also intend to post a thread about a big event in the UK in march open to all Indoor Cycling / Spinning participants and instrutors... is this going to be allowed or deleted also?

is this to be resolved or left hanging

still don't understand what links i am allowed or not allowed to post seeming as all my links appear to be viewed as advertising from what i can understand from the moderators comments

as stated above you'll need to contact one of us before started a thread specifically advertising one event. Your post will remain deleted for the time being, while you've explained your reasoning behind it I still think you've provided quite enough forum time for hte company for now.

g'em wrote: »
    while you've explained your reasoning behind it I still think you've provided quite enough forum time for hte company for now.

it's a pity that you are unable to distinguish between the activity of Spinning from the company behind it

i am insulted that you have merged all my comments as 'forum time for the company' which i reject fully, it is clear my reference are for helpful reasons and in reply to users requests for info, most of which get thanks or follow up posts

i spend a significant amount of effort responding to queries or request for info about Spinning or Indoor Cycling, it's insulting to me you have decided to regard them as advertising

i will continue to link to the freely available resources available on the site for Enthusiasts and Instructors as i consider fully appropriate and see nothing in your forum rules/guidelines about this

i will contact the moderators if there are any events upcoming and ask they be allowed to be posted

Advertisement