Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Students survey ?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone im doing an assignment at the moment on the difficulties of going back to education as a mature student, I have a few questions below that I would appreciate if you could answer, you dont have to answer them all anything at all will be helpful. Thanks

1 What were your reasons for returning to education ?

2 What were your main concerns about returning to education ?

3 How do you get on with the younger people on your course ?

4 Do you find it hard to get back into the academic side of your course ?

5 How do you find coping with the financial side of going back to education ?

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ?

7 Have things changed since you were last in Education ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

These answers relate to a course a few years ago in (age) late 40's.

1. Upskill
    2. Would I be able for it (I was)
    3. Fine, I didn't try to be a 'mammy' or take charge, and treated them with respect, they accepted me and did not make an issue of my age.
    4. No, except for the language we were obliged to study. There were no significant exams, all continuous assessment and portfolio.
    5. No financial support.
    6. N/A
    7. Difficult to compare 60's secondary with 90's Institute of Tech, nothing struck me as particularly different within those parameters.

In many ways probably easier to be a mature student than a young student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

looksee wrote: »
    These answers relate to a course a few years ago in (age) late 40's.

1. Upskill
    2. Would I be able for it (I was)
    3. Fine, I didn't try to be a 'mammy' or take charge, and treated them with respect, they accepted me and did not make an issue of my age.
    4. No, except for the language we were obliged to study. There were no significant exams, all continuous assessment and portfolio.
    5. No financial support.
    6. N/A
    7. Difficult to compare 60's secondary with 90's Institute of Tech, nothing struck me as particularly different within those parameters.

In many ways probably easier to be a mature student than a young student.

Thanks for replying

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

1 What were your reasons for returning to education ? Upskill and do something interesting

2 What were your main concerns about returning to education ? Finances

3 How do you get on with the younger people on your course ? Get on fine with the younger students, can't understand how some of them miss so many lectures and tutorials

4 Do you find it hard to get back into the academic side of your course ? Big learning curve to work independently again and get in the habit of study. Up coming exams are a worry

5 How do you find coping with the financial side of going back to education ? Turn out ok so far but the course is still young

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ? Jury is still out as only back for 12 weeks

80's comprehensive to University big change :D

Agent_99 wrote: »
    1 What were your reasons for returning to education ? Upskill and do something interesting

2 What were your main concerns about returning to education ? Finances

3 How do you get on with the younger people on your course ? Get on fine with the younger students, can't understand how some of them miss so many lectures and tutorials

4 Do you find it hard to get back into the academic side of your course ? Big learning curve to work independently again and get in the habit of study. Up coming exams are a worry

5 How do you find coping with the financial side of going back to education ? Turn out ok so far but the course is still young

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ? Jury is still out as only back for 12 weeks

80's comprehensive to University big change :D

Thanks for replying much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Upskill/Change career

Trying to find the time between full time work/work placement/family commitments

Distance learning, so not really applicable

Yes!

Not enjoying it!

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ?
    None available

More support

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, i already have a recent degree from 06 and did a PT 1 year level 7 degree so not sure if i count.

Upskilling and boredom - company was in examinership.

None really.

Well it was an evening course, so most were around the same age.

Initially no, the second semester was tough due to lack of motivation :)

fine, was working FT.

N/A
    GPA's baffle me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

To do the course I've wanted to do since I was 17.

Would I be able for the course. It's a difficult enough course to get into and I worried I wouldn't be able to keep up with the brainiacs.

Great. I love my class and my course. I've had such a laugh with them. I don't know if its just the type of course I'm in but I find a lot of them to be amazingly mature for their ages (some not so much). Or it could be that I'm immature. :)

I did an access course before I started back full time and I can honestly say I would have struggled majorly if I hadn't done that.

I'm totally broke and am living at home with my parents. It's pretty crap but I know its only temporary!

I am not entitled to any. :(

I don't know. I was in a fairly small college first time around. I think the only thing that's changed is myself. It's the same drinking and partying culture now as it was 10 years ago! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

1What were your reasons for returning to education ? Upskilling

2 What were your main concerns about returning to education ? Being sure that I could commit fully to the course while holding down a full time job

3 How do you get on with the younger people on your course ? Evening course so very few younger people

4 Do you find it hard to get back into the academic side of your course ? Have done several courses over the years so didn't find it too hard

5 How do you find coping with the financial side of going back to education ? Thankfully no problems to date

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ? Doesn't apply to me

7 Have things changed since you were last in Education ? Haven't noticed any changes yet

Larianne wrote: »
    To do the course I've wanted to do since I was 17.

Would I be able for the course. It's a difficult enough course to get into and I worried I wouldn't be able to keep up with the brainiacs.

Great. I love my class and my course. I've had such a laugh with them. I don't know if its just the type of course I'm in but I find a lot of them to be amazingly mature for their ages (some not so much). Or it could be that I'm immature. :)

I did an access course before I started back full time and I can honestly say I would have struggled majorly if I hadn't done that.

I'm totally broke and am living at home with my parents. It's pretty crap but I know its only temporary!

I am not entitled to any. :(

I don't know. I was in a fairly small college first time around. I think the only thing that's changed is myself. It's the same drinking and partying culture now as it was 10 years ago! :D
    Philistine wrote: »
    1What were your reasons for returning to education ? Upskilling

2 What were your main concerns about returning to education ? Being sure that I could commit fully to the course while holding down a full time job

3 How do you get on with the younger people on your course ? Evening course so very few younger people

4 Do you find it hard to get back into the academic side of your course ? Have done several courses over the years so didn't find it too hard

5 How do you find coping with the financial side of going back to education ? Thankfully no problems to date

6 Do yo think the financial supports available to you are adequate and fairly distributed ? Doesn't apply to me

7 Have things changed since you were last in Education ? Haven't noticed any changes yet

Thanks for replyin

• Advertisement

Op, i already have a recent degree from 06 and did a PT 1 year level 7 degree so not sure if i count.

Upskilling and boredom - company was in examinership.

None really.

Well it was an evening course, so most were around the same age.

Initially no, the second semester was tough due to lack of motivation :)

fine, was working FT.

N/A
    GPA's baffle me.

Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

To pursue a career path that interests me alot

I was worried about whether I could handle the workload and travel involved, so far...no problems.

Really well, I've been in education 3 years before college with similarly aged students anyway so only a change of scenery has taken place.

For most of it, no. I had some background in what I am pursuing, but some subjects I had never touched upon. Having never had to ever study before though, I found, and still find it difficult.

It's not easy, but I am managing. I'm not sure what I'll do about reg fees next year yet unless I can have it paid for by maintenance grant, as I paid it myself this year.

I could only apply for either BTEA of Maintenance grant, had to choose BTEA for some extra benefits it provides. There are no local community grants available to me.

It's been the same for me over the last three years, having been in education pursuing this path I have chosen. So nothing has changed for me except location.

To pursue a career path that interests me alot

I was worried about whether I could handle the workload and travel involved, so far...no problems.

Really well, I've been in education 3 years before college with similarly aged students anyway so only a change of scenery has taken place.

For most of it, no. I had some background in what I am pursuing, but some subjects I had never touched upon. Having never had to ever study before though, I found, and still find it difficult.

It's not easy, but I am managing. I'm not sure what I'll do about reg fees next year yet unless I can have it paid for by maintenance grant, as I paid it myself this year.

I could only apply for either BTEA of Maintenance grant, had to choose BTEA for some extra benefits it provides. There are no local community grants available to me.

It's been the same for me over the last three years, having been in education pursuing this path I have chosen. So nothing has changed for me except location.

Cheers for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I am not a current mature student - I was from September 1997 (even though I was only 23 years old, still technically a "Mature Student") when I started college.
    threein99 wrote:
    1 What were your reasons for returning to education ??
    To become more employable!
    threein99 wrote:
    2 What were your main concerns about returning to education
    Acedemic results and the employemnt prospects afterwards.
    threein99 wrote:
    I wasn't THAT much older than them - but in a strange way, I found that a 5/6 year gap was in some ways a bigger obstacle than it was for some mature students where the age gap was 20 years.

threein99 wrote:
    No. I was very highly motivated!
    threein99 wrote:
    It wasn't too bad. being able to keep the dole made it manageable - coz that's all I had before that anyway!
    threein99 wrote:
    It was no better or wose than if I hadn't bothered soing back to college.
    threein99 wrote:
    They hadn't!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I am not a current mature student - I was from September 1997 (even though I was only 23 years old, still technically a "Mature Student") when I started college.

To become more employable!

Acedemic results and the employemnt prospects afterwards.

I wasn't THAT much older than them - but in a strange way, I found that a 5/6 year gap was in some ways a bigger obstacle than it was for some mature students where the age gap was 20 years.

No. I was very highly motivated!

It wasn't too bad. being able to keep the dole made it manageable - coz that's all I had before that anyway!

It was no better or wose than if I hadn't bothered soing back to college.

They hadn't!

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I had a career in mind for myself from the age of 7, it was a bit of a vocation actually and i essentially applied for the course first chance i got which was as a mature student cause i didnt have the leaving points.

I suppose fitting in and finding friends is the main one but really i had very few, i was just excited to do it.

Absolutely fine, no hassle at all. Im not far off some of them in age but i have friends who are in their 40's and no one bats an eyelid or treats them any differently whatsoever.

No not really tbh, i enjoyed the assignments and liked the feedback etc. In saying that i had about the same difficulty as anyone else getting the methodology of essays right and that kind of thing but thats part of the education too so it was no big deal.

This is one im very fortunate in. I live at home with my mother at the moment so im being subsidised by the family bank temporarily.

Not especially, i wasnt due free fees in first year and for some arbitrary reason that automatically meant i wasnt due any grant of any kind even though i was in dire need of one and met the requirements. I hope to apply for one next year though so fingers crossed.

I dont think so tbh but i sure have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I just decided to do an access course 2 evenings a week about three years ago which then led me into NUIG. Had nothing better to do with my evenings and thought I'd give it a shot....

Initially I was worried about coping with the workload as i have 4 children and also because I was doing a science degree I worried if I'd be able to get through 1st year as I had to do Physics and Chemistry ( subjects I hadn't studied for my leaving Cert almost 20 years previously)

I get on very well with them. They often look to me for help and advice on our subjects as I rarely miss a lecture. Have been out for nights out with them even though at 36 I'd be older than many of them. I enjoy hanging out with them during the day and chatting about silly things. I suppose it makes me feel younger as well

Not difficult at all, I quite enjoy it usually. Exams can be a tough time as I get to spend very little time with the family.

It's not been too bad as I qualify for the grant but still haven't qualified for the top up portion of it which is nuts IMO since we've been on the dole for 4 years and have 4 kids. We are however managing even though the 2 teenagers are costing us a fortune as well.

No, I don't.....as I've said there are mature students who get the top up grant who don't have children as because of some technicality regarding the name of our benefit I don't get it with 4 kids to support.

Not sure as I was never in college before!!

cheers for replying

Advertisement