Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease advice - flatmate never paid rent

Options
  • 22-11-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Hi, my brother just got an eviction notice from his flat in Dublin city center.
    He's paid his rent diligently, straight into the landladys account since he moved in but it turns out, his flatmate hasn't for a few months now and owes a few grand. He lied about this to my brother all along.

Both their names are on the lease but I was wondering if you all could advise me on what his options are now?

He's looking at losing his deposit and he hasn't got a lot of cash to be laying down on a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depending on the lease, he could be liable for the flatmate's portion of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

silja wrote: »
    Depending on the lease, he could be liable for the flatmate's portion of the rent.

That's what I'm worried about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Has he spoken to the landlady?? It seems like he's a good tenant, which are hard to come by. He may be able to carry on renting if he/they can find another tenant to move in instead of the sponger....

Advertisement