Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When the budget is announced, will you be asking your landlord..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

D3PO wrote: »
    before making this kind of statement you should have a basic grasp on economics.

don't know who you are and where you come from with your great statement, are you my secret shadow who knows me???

anyway, senseless and completely off topic. stick to the topic please, think the thread is not opened for you to provide me with your personal advice out of the blue and I and presumely others are definetely not interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Things like rent, utilities, clothing, and food are the last things to be impacted as they are all essentials to everybody.

do I get it right, are you saying that these things didn't came down the last two years??
    So the thought process that rent should come down becaue tax goes up is a false premise.

rents were and are still inflated in Ireland. so if people have less disposable income (as a consequence of higher taxes, to explain it again:rolleyes:) and there is an oversupply of accommodation, rents will come down.

you don't even need basic economies for that.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Will have no choice but to beg my landlord to somehow make an exception for me, as I am the only one reliant on RA in my shared house.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

tara73 wrote: »
    do I get it right, are you saying that these things didn't came down the last two years??

Not nearly as much as rents have come down.
    tara73 wrote: »
    rents were and are still inflated in Ireland. so if people have less disposable income (as a consequence of higher taxes, to explain it again:rolleyes:) and there is an oversupply of accommodation, rents will come down.

you don't even need basic economies for that.:confused:

In Dublin at least there is not an oversupply of properties for rent anymore. So if you cannot afford the rent you may simply have to move to cheaper accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

did you ask your landlord to increase your rent when tax rates were cut and credits increased ?

I mean that would only have been right :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly

Landlords certainly did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

If the landlord wont agree to a reduction I will move into one of the other 40+ empty places in my town , it's a renters market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ZYX wrote: »
    In Dublin at least there is not an oversupply of properties for rent anymore...

Really???? Are you sure?

4840 properties to rent in the Dublin area on Daft.ie alone as if 5 minutes ago..

I would call that an over supply.. and with more and more being vacated on a weekly basis as people leave the country or leave Dublin, if anything I would say the supply of rental property is increasing..

OP, you have nothing to lose by asking your landlord for a reduction.. at the end of the day, if he wants to keep you he will come to some compromise.. I wouldnt expect a major reduction but every little helps..

If he point blank refuses then it might be time to start looking elsewhere. Its really your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lornakg

ncit9933 wrote: »
    Sure maybe your landlord might get the reduction in mortgage from the bank...

Its not the renters job to pay the landlords mortgage!! If landlords mortgage is high, thats his problem, the renter is right to look for a reduction in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

lornakg wrote: »
    Its not the renters job to pay the landlords mortgage!! If landlords mortgage is high, thats his problem, the renter is right to look for a reduction in rent.

the renter can ask - as silja mentioned earlier the LL may decide that taking a small monthly hit on the current rent in exchange for a longer term guarenteed income is preferable to either having to find another tennant at the end of the lease, or even the current tennant just legging it to a cheaper place.

the LL, however, may not - they may feel that they can get another tennant willing to pay the current asking price without a problem.

i agree with your sentiment entirely though - its no more the tenants job to ensure the LL's business is profitable than its my job to ensure that BP made a profit on the 60l of Diesel i bought off them today: both are commercial operators offering a service to the public - if either the public choose not to do business with them, or they themselves operate a business model that doesn't pay their own bills thats their problem, and their problem alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

My rent will now be reduced by 100 Euro :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

that should help take the brunt of the cutbacks to leave you in a status quo:D Congrats

Advertisement