Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be a good start ?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi folks...
    I'm sure there are always a plethera of first scope questions so I'll just add one more :o

I've always wanted to try astronomy and see if it was something I'd like to be more serious about... My plan was to start with Celestron 130EQ Astromaster and a copy of Turn Left at Orion.
    From the scope reviews it seems OK maybe the finder is a little difficult to use but 130mm should gather some light for the €'s and get me started..

We live in a good dark area, high altitude, with no light polution, not a house for about a kilometer, on a clear night the milky way really really stands out well..

But would I really expect to see some planets and nebula that reviewers of the scope claim ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Hi bbam!

Welcome to the potentially addictive world of heavens gazing.

Firstly, I have an Astromaster 130EQ that I'm not using and is available for sale if you're interested.

So....to your questions....

The scope itself is actually quite good. Though as you have been told, the finder is a bit of a pain.
    Another poster on this forum has mounted a camera on the scope rings (the scope comes with the neccesary bolt) and uses this as a finder.

For me this was the biggest drawback to the Astromaster, finding objects through the stock finder.

Views, when you find the object, are very good. Clear, crisp amd bright.
    For optical viewing I was able to get up to 160x magnification and keep detail.

I live away from light, though not at high altitude so you may do better.

The main limitation on what you'll be able to see will be 'seeing conditions'.

The first planet I looked at was Mars.....orange dot :(

Then I looked at Saturn....see Newbee's Excitement

I later discovered that my scope was out of collimation. Luckily it's easy to fix. And views became sharper and more impressive. Though by this time Saturn and Mars gone :(

Now...nebulae.....
    You're not going to see with your naked eyes what you see in pictures.
    Generally you'll get monochrome views.
    Cameras can collect more light on more wave lengths and for longer than your eyes...

BUT...the views are still impressive.

I found M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy) with the Astromaster (and a LOT of patience) and you can just make out the spiral with averted vision.

Orion...looks like Orion. etc.

I think that The Ring Nebula in Lyra would look great too.

The Moon can be very impressive...though blinding!
    Have a look at the stickies on this forum to get a start into the jargon.

Also, download Stellarium, it's free and FANTASTIC!!

I moved away from the Astromaster for a few reasons...

1. A great deal came up on an 8" reflector :)
    2. Apperture fever
    3. (Main reason) I wanted to dabble into astro photography

Clear skies!
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I used to have that scope as well but I upgraded to a goto scope. The finder in the astromaster is rubbish, almost unusable. But other than that its quite good for the price.
    I would recommend it as a beginner scope but they are cheaper ones out there the same size as it. If you want splash out extra cash and get a goto scope. Its basically an automatic scope that will find and track what ever you select. They are about 43000 objects in its memory. Since I got that i've seen lots more objects. I find it a lot better than a normal scope and won't look back. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Have an astromaster myself that my boyfriend got me along with Turn Left at Orion and they're great for beginners, but he quickly upgraded me to a NexStar 8se which is a really great scope and it makes all the difference. By all means buy what you can afford but keep your expectations realistic. It's certainly better to start with a small scope and delight in the moon for a while until you decide if you would like to spend some more serious cash on a better model.

Plug wrote: »
    I would recommend it as a beginner scope but they are cheaper ones out there the same size as it. If you want splash out extra cash and get a goto scope. Its basically an automatic scope that will find and track what ever you select. They are about 43000 objects in its memory. Since I got that i've seen lots more objects. I find it a lot better than a normal scope and won't look back. Hope this helps.

100% agree. It's a beginner's (to intermediate) scope and depending on your needs you may grow out of it sooner or later. If the bug bites it'll be sooner.

I have a different view on the Goto though, and it's been discussed on Cloudy Nights and Stargazer.

If you have to find and object without a GoTo then you have to learn how to read the sky and find objects by using references in the sky.

If you have a GoTo then you 'just' punch in the numbers and the scope finds it for you. You don't need to learn the sky.

The upshot....(and this is one of the conclusions in Stargazer's Lounge) is that:

With a Goto scope you'll find (for example) The Ring Nebula in Lyra very quickly and be observing.

Without a Goto it'l will, initially till you learn the references, take a bit longer to do the above.

BUT....
    If someone asks a GoTo user to point out where the Ring Nebula is......

:)

For me at least this brings an extra sense of achievement.

(What scope did you go for in the end Plug?)

Good advice from Linguo.

Clear skies,
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

they are cheaper ones out there the same size as it.

Maybe you could point me in the right direction ?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

peterako wrote: »
    100% agree. It's a beginner's (to intermediate) scope and depending on your needs you may grow out of it sooner or later. If the bug bites it'll be sooner.

I have a different view on the Goto though, and it's been discussed on Cloudy Nights and Stargazer.

If you have to find and object without a GoTo then you have to learn how to read the sky and find objects by using references in the sky.

If you have a GoTo then you 'just' punch in the numbers and the scope finds it for you. You don't need to learn the sky.

The upshot....(and this is one of the conclusions in Stargazer's Lounge) is that:

With a Goto scope you'll find (for example) The Ring Nebula in Lyra very quickly and be observing.

Without a Goto it'l will, initially till you learn the references, take a bit longer to do the above.

BUT....
    If someone asks a GoTo user to point out where the Ring Nebula is......

:)

For me at least this brings an extra sense of achievement.

(What scope did you go for in the end Plug?)

Good advice from Linguo.

Clear skies,
    Peter

Yeah I remember with the astromaster when I would finally find something I would be well chuffed, but that buzz is still kinda there. On a given time scale you will also see and find a lot more. Also the fact that it will track the object you are looking at is a massive bonus. I used to get annoyed at Saturn moving too fast out of the field of view. I love this scope its great so next year Im going to double in size and go for a 10 inch goto:cool:
    Here is the one I got.

bbam wrote: »
    Maybe you could point me in the right direction ?
    Cheers

www.astroshop.eu
    Its like carzone but with telescopes, put in your budget, telescope size, goto or not etc etc. I got my one for €340 including delivery. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

To over come the problem with the awful finder on the Astromaster I bought a Telrad finder. It made the telescope so much easier to use and enjoyable.

I aimed it like a gun, I put a plastic thing on the body of the scope at the end the same height as the red dot. Worked only ok. Not great though.

Which 10" Plug?

Sounds like you've been bitten hard :)

Peter

A skywatcher dobson goto, I think its about 1200 quid but I won't be getting it till late 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

To bbam and others, try and get the largest aperture you can afford and don't worry about GoTo! With the money you will spend on a 130mm refractor you could buy a 200mm basic reflector with more light-gathering properties. Yes, it will be a bigger instrument to carry around, but if that is not a problem then keep an eye for bargains alike a 10" or 12" Dobsonian second hand. There have been some for sale on www.irishastronomy.org in recent months. Perhaps with the recession there will be more (unfortunately) for sale to come in the next few months.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stay away from that Astromaster 130 whatever you do, horrible scope, horrible mount bordering on unuseable because of the finder and the looseness in the mount.

Thargor wrote: »
    Stay away from that Astromaster 130 whatever you do, horrible scope, horrible mount bordering on unuseable because of the finder and the looseness in the mount.
    In fairness its a solid enough little scope for the price, the finder is crap all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Here is the one I got.

Hey Plug
    Can't you mount a camera/webcam to that if you got a different eyepiece.

If not, what scope can you do that, under the E400 mark, thanks.
    ATM I'm just playing around with a small refractor scope I got from a family member.

Hey Plug
    Can't you mount a camera/webcam to that if you got a different eyepiece.

If not, what scope can you do that, under the E400 mark, thanks.
    ATM I'm just playing around with a small refractor scope I got from a family member.

You can do this with ANY telescope by using a combination of 2 items called a T-mount and a T-ring adapter. The T-ring adapter is what you use with an SLR camera (film or digital). You substitute the lens for the T-ring adapter, which in turn screws into the T-mount. This you then insert in to the focuser. You will get these in either 1.25" and 2" diameter barrels. The T-ring adapter is specific to the type of mount your camera has, e.g. the Canon uses a type of twist and lift (bayonette), others use a screw-in. You will have to find out from the mount/ring manufacturer the type for your SLR camera.

camera-without-adaptor.jpg

Hope this helps,

Seanie.

By the way, when you use the above with your telescope, the telescope is now the lens for the camera by its focal length i.e. if you were using a 6" reflector F6 then the following would be the outcome: 150mm (6") X F6 = 900mm focal length - the telescope is now a 900mm lens for the camera.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Cheers for the info Seanie.

Now I just need to get an SLR camera aswell :p

You can do it with my one, there is a 2 inch eye peice holder for it so you can fit an SLR camera to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

Early Christmas present was a Newtonian 76mm, which was something I thought would be a good introduction to the world of Astronomy, it was a non branded telescope from Argos. I've been disappointed with the quality of it unsurprisingly. Very unstable and literally coming loose at the seems, regardless of continual tightening. Now I intend to return it and am considering upgrading to the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ which is on sale there for €215.

My question is, will this be worhtwhile for a novice Astronomer, or would I be better served picking up a decent second hand for a similar price? All replies would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Hi Carl, its the same thing you see on the Cycling forum in all the "Which Bike Should I Buy?" threads, dont ruin your enjoyment of the hobby just to save a couple of hundred euro, its not worth it, whether its a cheap bike or a cheap scope.

76mm is pathethic, so is 127, nice views of the moon, everything else crap, Saturn just a bright dot the size of a full stop with 2 little bumps either side that might be the rings, same for Jupiter, just a little smudge that might be the moons, you'll use it once, not see anything, then not be bothered taking it out on a freezing night ever again, you're better off with binoculars. Bite the bullet I say and get a good scope, 6 inch at least, or even better a big Dobsobian reflector that will give you awesome views under crappy Irish skies. Go second-hand, astronomers look after their gear and only sell it when they're upgrading, check the for sale section over on IFAS and merry Christmas.

• Advertisement

Reactor wrote: »
    Hi Carl, its the same thing you see on the Cycling forum in all the "Which Bike Should I Buy?" threads, dont ruin your enjoyment of the hobby just to save a couple of hundred euro, its not worth it, whether its a cheap bike or a cheap scope.

76mm is pathethic, so is 127, nice views of the moon, everything else crap, Saturn just a bright dot the size of a full stop with 2 little bumps either side that might be the rings, same for Jupiter, just a little smudge that might be the moons, you'll use it once, not see anything, then not be bothered taking it out on a freezing night ever again, you're better off with binoculars. Bite the bullet I say and get a good scope, 6 inch at least, or even better a big Dobsobian reflector that will give you awesome views under crappy Irish skies. Go second-hand, astronomers look after their gear and only sell it when they're upgrading, check the for sale section over on IFAS and merry Christmas.

Thanks Reactor for the reply. I know exactly where you're coming from. My only concern is too much too soon. At the minute I'm enjoying pointing at the sky in conjunction with Stellarium and "discovering" planets and stars. Learning the basics. In these prudent times I'm hesitant about spending a substantial amount of money at such an early stage. However, I see your argument in so far as I could save myself €200 towards a Telsescope I might want in a matter of months. A conundrum. What would you reccommend if I went down your route?

Merry Christmas to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Im no expert, I just hang around the forums, havent had a good scope in years but the minute I move to a nicer house with a garden Ill be buying one. All I know is aperture is king, the bigger the better, everything has pros and cons, dobsonians are a cheap way of getting a big scope but they're a pain to transport and you have to collimate the mirrors a lot, SCTs are expensive, refractors are super-expensive. buy as big as you can though because no matter how big you buy you'll be eyeing the next size up before long, just stay away from Argos and anything under 8 inches if at all possible, 6 inches will still be a struggle to resolve details on targets in Ireland, but then again some people get by with just a pair of binoculars and love it, so do your own research, Im off home now so good luck, make a thread with pics if you do buy something.

Reactor wrote: »
    Im no expert, I just hang around the forums, havent had a good scope in years but the minute I move to a nicer house with a garden Ill be buying one. All I know is aperture is king, the bigger the better, everything has pros and cons, dobsonians are a cheap way of getting a big scope but they're a pain to transport and you have to collimate the mirrors a lot, SCTs are expensive, refractors are super-expensive. buy as big as you can though because no matter how big you buy you'll be eyeing the next size up before long, just stay away from Argos and anything under 8 inches if at all possible, 6 inches will still be a struggle to resolve details on targets in Ireland, but then again some people get by with just a pair of binoculars and love it, so do your own research, Im off home now so good luck, make a thread with pics if you do buy something.

Again thanks Reactor and once I've sorted myself I'll post up what I decided to go for.

Advertisement