Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Eric Cantona flipped his lid?

• 22-11-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

The Guardian newspaper are reporting that Eric Cantona is calling for a Global Revolution of sorts Eric Cantona's call for bank protest sparks online campaign | World news | The Observer

He said: "I don't think we can be entirely happy seeing such misery around us. Unless you live in a pod. But then there is a chance... there is something to do. Nowadays what does it mean to be on the streets? To demonstrate? You swindle yourself. Anyway, that's not the way any more.

"We don't pick up weapons to kill people to start the revolution. The revolution is really easy to do these days. What's the system? The system is built on the power of the banks. So it must be destroyed through the banks.

"This means that the three million people with their placards on the streets, they go to the bank and they withdraw their money and the banks collapse. Three million, 10 million people, and the banks collapse and there is no real threat. A real revolution.

"We must go to the bank. In this case there would be a real revolution. It's not complicated; instead of going on the streets and driving kilometres by car you simply go to the bank in your country and withdraw your money, and if there are a lot of people withdrawing their money the system collapses. No weapons, no blood, or anything like that."

Has Eric lost the plot or is this a good way to voice protest? What will the consequences be of everybody in Ireland and other Eurozone countries going and withdrawing their deposits on the 7th Dec?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will there be flying kicks involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think he's right. When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

God cant lose the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A slide towards hyperinflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't think he's flipped the lid. He makes a lot of sense. He does some very good work with a charity called "Abbé Pierre" here in France and speaks out a lot about social justice. Fair dues to him, makes a change from footballers getting into the news cos of some manky whore they were scoring..

• Advertisement

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    The Guardian newspaper are reporting that Eric Cantona is calling for a Global Revolution of sorts Eric Cantona's call for bank protest sparks online campaign | World news | The Observer

Has Eric lost the plot or is this a good way to voice protest? What will the consequences be of everybody in Ireland and other Eurozone countries going and withdrawing their deposits on the 7th Dec?

Long queues outside banks, making perfect targets for seagulls to practice their divebombing on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

When the seagulls withdraw their breadcumbs from the sea, the trawlers will collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

The problem is, I don't have money in my account to withdraw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mickey D is gonna flip when he sees this.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

phill106 wrote: »
    The problem is, I don't have money in my account to withdraw!

Just rob a bank instead then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

how will i get my wages? it's not company policy to issue cheques - you must have a bank account. and i really like my wages - so this could be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If the banks completely collapse things will get a lot worse, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Was the only one to misread the title as "Has Eric Cartman flipped his lid?" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

how will i get my wages? it's not company policy to issue cheques - you must have a bank account. and i really like my wages - so this could be an issue.

It's an idea I suppose, but I quite like being paid also I can only be paid into the bank :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

AndyKiely wrote: »
    It's an idea I suppose, but I quite like being paid also I can only be paid into the bank :mad:

You have the right to demand payment of your wages in whatever form is most convenient to yourself provided that your request is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

You have the right to demand payment of your wages in whatever form is most convenient to yourself provided that your request is not unreasonable.

You might have a point there. Just looking over the employee handbook here and it just says that we get paid into the bank. Nothing about needing to be paid.

Might be worth looking into ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I think you might find that there aren't too many people who don't already owe to the banks so this plan is already shagged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He's hardly the first french person to try organise a run on the banks there. There was a realyl bad attempt in [aris a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Bit of an over reaction by the OP methinks.

'Flipped his lid?' -Hardly. Cantona was suggesting that people engage in a non violent form of protest. Not exactly stark raving mad now is it? It's a much more sensible strategy than throwing paint or trying to 'storm' empty government buildings.
    You may disagree with his approach, but do try to keep some sense of perspective in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

All hail King Eric!

• Advertisement

would getting paid in cocaine, weed and hookers be classed as unreasonable i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

So if Eric's plan worked on a European wide scale then the Euro would just collapse and be worthless. Thus leaving people with all this worthless paper cash and those who control all the commodities would be the real ones to benefit i.e. the banks and the uber-wealthy.

Better advice from Eric would be to invest your money into something tangible like silver coins or gold bullion. But then again that would cause inflation of gold/silver prices which is then just feeding another bubble...

Hmm..:(:confused::mad: this game is rigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

When the breadcrumbs withdraw their trawlers from the bank, the collapse will be a seagull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yeah you just can't bank on it. cash in hand and under the mattress is where the smart money is, who'd be so naive as to use a bank if they can't at least do you direct payment what the **** are you working for.. we need less bureaucracy demand the more direct method.

Bit of an over reaction by the OP methinks.

'Flipped his lid?' -Hardly. Cantona was suggesting that people engage in a non violent form of protest. Not exactly stark raving mad now is it? It's a much more sensible strategy than throwing paint or trying to 'storm' empty government buildings.
    You may disagree with his approach, but do try to keep some sense of perspective in your post.

OK, I think you may be missing the point of my asking, do you know what a 'bank run' is and do you know why it is illegal to call for such a thing in many jurisdictions? Do you know what the effects of widely coordinated bank runs might be on EU at this moment in time? OK so now you've considered those things, do you see why I was asking if Eric is rational to be asking for that to happen.

i'd almost try doing it for the craic. if we could get everybody to withdraw the money just for one day and re-lodge it the next. scare the bejaysus out of the suit clad swindlers anyway...and that in itself would be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

OK, I think you may be missing the point of my asking, do you know what a 'bank run' is and do you know why it is illegal to call for such a thing in many jurisdictions? Do you know what the effects of widely coordinated bank runs might be on EU at this moment in time? OK so now you've considered those things, do you see why I was asking if Eric is rational to be asking for that to happen.

If banks didn't engage in fractional reserve banking, creating profits for themselves and debts for us, out of thin air, they wouldn't be so concerned about runs on the bank.

well i know that we don't run the banks anymore, they run us so to ransack em truly would bring the whole sh!thouse down.. modern life truly is rubbish fcuk the millennium and the turn of it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

www.bankrun2010.com

Interesting, but seriously, where would I get my wages from?

I'm fucking broke as it is.

• Advertisement

joebucks wrote: »
    So if Eric's plan worked on a European wide scale then the Euro would just collapse and be worthless. Thus leaving people with all this worthless paper cash and those who control all the commodities would be the real ones to benefit i.e. the banks and the uber-wealthy.

Better advice from Eric would be to invest your money into something tangible like silver coins or gold bullion. But then again that would cause inflation of gold/silver prices which is then just feeding another bubble...

Hmm..:(:confused::mad: this game is rigged.

Max Keiser is on the case with what you suggest and is tying it all to what has been suggested by Cantona. The suggestion is to buy silver to destroy JP Morgan. Here's the segment from his show, he's also got the tinfoil hatters involved in it by involving the alarmist Alex Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0rcNJXFfI

even as a liverpool muppet i can attest to eric bein a legend, there's not many men in football these days but eric the surpasses even that he is a titan. how about if employers can't pay cash in hand people go on strike, everyone wash their hands of banks once and for all and show there's actually no need for their services whatsoever as opposed to this utter dependancy on em?! i'd be very much into this bankrun just reclaim your money aka withdraw it is that so difficult? n let em rot ****ing bureaucrats n white collar cronies. personally i'd rather see em and government buildings ransacked.. but if you could just withdraw ur moneyz en masse sheeple, don't seem so wrong does it? no threat of prosecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Max Keiser is on the case with what you suggest and is tying it all to what has been suggested by Cantona. The suggestion is to buy silver to destroy JP Morgan. Here's the segment from his show, he's also got the tinfoil hatters involved in it by involving the alarmist Alex Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN0rcNJXFfI

Ha 'alarmist Alex Jones'..never have I heard him described in such a succinct way.

I would agree with a lot of what Keiser says but again silver could just be another bubble and JP Morgan will really make a killing if it turns out that way. It wouldn't be surprised if JP Morgan are playing both sides here.

It's a highly complex problem and the solution Cantona purports could have dire consequences if successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Cantona and Trevor Brennan will fcuk you up!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - How dare you question 'Le King'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Banks would collapse and a lot of the people cantona is advising to get their money out would not be able to receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

maximoose wrote: »
    I think he's right. When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Lol ! Love this thread !

Advertisement