Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DKIT Wi-FI - Whats going on!?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

New thread to discuss any info you have on the Wi-Fi or therein lack of in the college or just to complain to get it off your chest, or ideas on how to get it sorted,,,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

rumour a)

the company that was supposed to install it has gone bust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The group of outside contractors meant to install it ran wayyyyy over budget and time and got let go. Theres no word on who ( if anyone ) is working on it but the word from lecturers and the SU is after xmas 'at best'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The SU posted this on their site:
    http://www.dkitsu.ie/latest-news/423-dkit-students-union-slams-college-for-lack-of-it-services.html

Still gives no definite answers though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

RawShark wrote: »
    Rumours are not true - external contractor are still in business, just not very good at their jobs (still troubleshooting the WIRED network - carrolls is disaster area). Institute technicians have brought up a working WIFI in test mode (according to login page) - currently in Coffee Dock, Restaurant and Library (not sure where else?).

Student Union have been taking credit all day - but they would I suppose, make them look deadly after weeks of abuse. Must ask them how to plan to solve wireless printing next and ask to see their system specs :o

Fact is a whole new network is (still) being put in - any computing student will tell you it would be a good idea to finish your wired before layering wireless on top. I'm sure college IT where just going by the book, or were at mercy of external contractor schedule or something.

Still, hope the wifi makes it over to carrolls soon - that will be cool :cool:

Student Union have every right to take the credit for it !

RawShark wrote: »
    Maybe so - but let's hope security or any other features were not compromised to rush out the service ahead of schedule in reply to their campaign. I certainly won't be doing any online banking on a wifi that claims to be "unsecure" in my network settings.

, You work for the college I.T department and this sits firmly on your doorstep why the WIFI WASNT ROLLED OUT AND YOUR DEPARTMENT IS TOO BLAME !

but I will pass the message on to james and david that you think that they shouldnt take credit for putting added pressure on your department.

• Advertisement

Just to point this out guys , The guy here RawShark is infact in CHARGE OF WIFI in the college , and is the reason why you THE STUDENTS HAVENT had wifi in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Was in the library earlier today, and you will never guess what happened when I tried to connect to Wifi....

IT CONNECTED!

Was on the oul tinternet in the Library on my laptop, modern technology at its most cutting edge.

Advertisement