Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost in the mists of time

Options
  • 22-11-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All, This is all a bit mad but here goes. I am trying to trace my family on my Grandmothers side. Her name was Maie Gould and she is on the electrol roll 1939/40 as living at 3 Westland Row Dublin along with her husband (my Grandfather) Eric Cook. Also listed as living there are Rose Gould, Robert Gould, Mary Gould and Michael Gould apparently it was a Guest House and run by them. I know its gone now but somewhere out there i must have some family. I now live in the UK and have recently found out that my Dad had a half sister, we are to meet to-morrow for the first time, she was the daughter of my Grandfather Eric Cooks second marriage. She had been searching for her half brother for a very long time (my Dad) very complicated! My Dad died very young, he was only 45 and died here in the UK. Before comeing to UK we lived at 2 Woodstock Gardens Ranalagh Dublin around 1959. My Grandmother died on the 3rd of April 1959. My Grandfather died in 1987 and can you believe i never met him but i found out a couple of weeks ago that he only lived about an hour from where i live and never knew he had 6 Grandchildren. If anyone can throw any light on this one i would be most grateful Raggs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Maybe one of the mods could move this to the genealogy forum?

If you have a read of the sticky, it'll show you how to go about finding a marriage cert for your grandparents, which will show you their fathers' names.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579524

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raggie12

Hi There
    Thank you so much for the reply, I have to-day met my Fathers half sister for the first time. She had been searching for a long time for her half brother only to find that he my( Dad) died very young aged 45, very sad for her. It was so good to find some family at last. Im trying to find out if i have any family on my Grandmothers side, there must be some somwhere! I just thaught if i put it on as many sites as i could there might be someone looking for me. My Grandmother was Maie Gould/ Goldberg and to-day i was told she may have been an Opera singer! I do know who her parents were,her Fathers name was Harris Gould Tailors/Clothiers. You never know someone might read about this and recognise the family Raggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Hi Raggie

I was going to suggest that you post over on dublin.ie, but i see that you have already, & that you have been successful in getting some valuable information over there.

It's fantastic that you got to meet your father's half-sister as a direct result, & hopefully you can keep the contact up with her.

Sorry that I can be of no help to you, but I just wanted to say well done for your perseverance & good luck with the rest of your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 raggie12

Hi Jeckle
    Many thanks for getting back to me, its good to know people read what is posted. Yes i met my Dads half sister and she was really lovely. The whole Cook/Gould family is shrouded in mystery, the saddest part of this saga is that i never knew Grandpa Cook, i had a picture of a man i thaught was my Grandfather but i was never really sure, this lady confirmed it was him. They only live about an hour from where i live and my Grandad died in 1987 haveing lived down the road without knowing he had 6 Grandchildren. Families are so very strange. Raggs

Advertisement