Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AI released - AX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

HOMER.jpg

Couldn't have put it better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

very nice!

Didnt like them at first, preffered the old stock, these are after growing on me though!

What kind of hassle are you getting with the application for the AE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i want one. just to look at. its a beaut ....
    would you hunt with it or is it a bit heavy for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I wonder if its the same action with a different barrel and stock do that eventually the stock will be available for remmy owners :)

either way.. at £3300 ill take 2 :) ( i wish)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No doubt they will be under the restricted "idoanlikdelookodat!" category of things,with a folding and pistol grip stock??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No doubt they will be under the restricted "idoanlikdelookodat!" category of things,with a folding and pistol grip stock??

That's shotguns only. This has been said dozens of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

murph226 wrote: »

What kind of hassle are you getting with the application for the AE ?

8 months and still no record of it in the park!!:mad::mad:

mancrying.jpg

right ..... Ive though about it and ill be clicking the "unlike" button on this one for several reasons...

1, the old stock is great, i dont see the need for a revision of it and that stock looks ugly... its is a butchered version of the older stock... same parts are put on it to cut production costs ( however the old parts worked fine too so no need to change them)

2. ther extra rails are useless, there is sufficient space to mount any amount of rails on the older design AW and AW rifle including its role in military and L/E. I can assume that all the rails really do is add weight and protect the barrel from knocks ( however the rifle is hardy so unless you plan on driving a tractor over it then again no need for the barrel protection.

3. the action and barrel are (im assuming from a visual) exactly the same so theres no increase in performance.

I think if i had an AW or AE.... i wouldnt feel too hard done by the new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/assets/assets/ax_brochure.pdf
    7.8 kg for the 338:eek: so i presume the .308 will be similar, my rifle is less than half that weight without the scope and i find it a tad too heavy, definately only usable for prone varminting or target shooting anyway

ormondprop wrote: »
    7.8 kg for the 338:eek: so i presume the .308 will be similar, my rifle is less than half that weight without the scope and i find it a tad too heavy, definately only usable for prone varminting or target shooting anyway

Im sure ill be corrected if im wrong .... but the weight would favor target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jeebus. That thing's not going to kick much at all at that weight. In a .308 Win it'd be imperceptible.

tons of room for the ipod pic mount though......

and the kettle ..... for those shots that uve to wait for :P:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. 7.8 kg for the 338:eek: ..............., definately only usable for prone varminting or target shooting anyway

Damn thats heavy. Even if the .308 is slightly lighter, say 7.5kg, that leaves 0.75kg for scope, rings and bipod otherwise it falls outside the weight limit for target shooting. So it cannot be done. For deer or varmint shooting, well i can think of a half a dozen different rifles that would be as good without the weight or expense. Carrying a 9.0-9.5kg rifle (20lb) for hunting -:eek:.

Then look at F-Open. 22lb weight limit so more leeway. However a custom build with 30-32" barrel chambered in 7mm or 6.5x.284 would be more accurate than a .338 or similar caliber with 27" barrel. IMO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Heavy alright... unless your... welsh no. 8... Andy powell...

Andy-powell-dead-lift_2314545.jpg

wrong sport.... what would he know how to do with a .338 :P:P:P

wrong sport.... what would he know how to do with a .338 :P:P:P

how to carry the F%$ker :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i just weighed my steyr tactical elite .308 with 10 rounds and scope and shoulder strap as it would be if i was out stalking or target practicing and it weighed in at 5.9kg

also weighed my tikka tactical .223 with 6 rounds & scope & harris bi-pod & t8 mod & shoulder strap, it weighed in at 6.3kg (or 5.5 without mod)

i would consider both my rifles to be heavy enough for just about anything.
    if the .338 is coming in at 7.8 dry you could put easly put 1.5kg extra for scope, bi-pod & rounds if not more.
    that would bring it to nearly 9.5kg or 20.94lb a back breaker :eek:

you might have to be built like andy powell to consider a rifle like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

andy powell mightn't know what to do with it but i reckon john hayes could use it as a pistol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Ax is available with thumbhole stock aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

3. the action and barrel are (im assuming from a visual) exactly the same so theres no increase in performance.

According to the brochure there has been changes made to the bolt and action -
    The larger new 0.87" (22mm) dia. steel close fitting bolt, bolt head, locking ring and barrel tenon construction is significantly stronger and capable of withstanding higher temperatures
    and pressures. An improved leaf-spring style extractor facilitates straightforward removal and replacement.
    A new strengthened design ensures safety in the most extreme environments. It is permanently bonded and bolted to the stiff aluminium chassis to eliminate movement, ensuring that zero will be maintained.

• Advertisement

thelurcher wrote: »
    According to the brochure there has been changes made to the bolt and action -

I hadnt seen the brochure when I made my comment but I am talking from experience from working on the AI system.

Unless the brochure gives claims that can be backed up to greater accuracy then the origional AI rifle is a far better rifle

Advertisement