Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T5 or T8

Options
  • 22-11-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Cant seem to get the newer T5 lights in UVB, so still being given the older T8 model in UVB,

anyone see any forseable problems with this?:confused:

(to be used on the Rio 125 tank)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i thought the only difference between t5/t8 was the size of the tube? t8 is one inch, t5 is 5/8 of an inch.

Check your connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

godtabh wrote: »
    i thought the only difference between t5/t8 was the size of the tube? t8 is one inch, t5 is 5/8 of an inch.

Check your connectors.

Sorry didn't specify that it was the pet shop who said they couldnt get the newer T5's with UVB so supplying me with the older style T8's.

I guess it should be fine so long as I'm able to get replacements when the time comes!

I hope to collect tank Saturday, if it can't be delivered thursday (may have ordered too late today to make delivery).

I can't wait - and this is all for my son:D Im getting just as much fun out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 birdie2k

Hi, T5 tubes will not fit or work in a T8 fitting. will have to change the whole unit which might cost a bit. Not sure what you mean by UVB

birdie2k wrote: »
    Hi, T5 tubes will not fit or work in a T8 fitting. will have to change the whole unit which might cost a bit. Not sure what you mean by UVB

UV - ultra violet required for terrapins and their Vitamin D3 processing to help prevent their shells getting soft.

(sorry I think I should have left out the 'B').

It should be just UV lights.

Im actually awaiting a whole unit replacement from the shop, by courier, but this could be delayed due to weather reasons. Also due to weather reasons, I cant get out to buy a second hand cabinet to place the aquarium on top of!! Time is ticking:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Why not go for a dual purpose UVB/Heatlamp setup instead ? Lamp & Deflector worked very well together when I used one on my Tortoises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

tallus wrote: »
    Why not go for a dual purpose UVB/Heatlamp setup instead ? Lamp & Deflector worked very well together when I used one on my Tortoises.

there is no such thing as a dual purpose UVB/Heatlamp set up, you need a heat lamp and a UVB tube and calcium powder too.

there is no such thing as a dual purpose UVB/Heatlamp set up, you need a heat lamp and a UVB tube and calcium powder too.

Yes there is.

Just one example here.

I used a combined UVB heatlamp for years. So you're wrong Limerick Bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

tallus wrote: »
    Yes there is.

Just one example here.

I used a combined UVB heatlamp for years. So you're wrong Limerick Bandit.

Sorry I did post that wrong! what I should have said is there are combined UVB/heatlamp's but they are no good for UVB! I good tube is best for UVB and it needs to be changed every 6 months.

That seems to be unavailable in most online shops ive looked at, but I have the UV strip lights in place and am going to double check if a seperate basking lamp is actually needed for the Must Turtles, as I'm getting different answers from people.:confused:

Sorry I did post that wrong! what I should have said is there are combined UVB/heatlamp's but they are no good for UVB! I good tube is best for UVB and it needs to be changed every 6 months.

I used mine for several years without problem.

Can you clarify why you claim that tube UVB bulbs are any better than combined ones, because I bred several species of reptile over the years and didn't notice a difference with either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

T5s are better for plant growth in the tank and better light quality for the fish too.

Just changed over from T8s to T5s with my 500 litre tank.

paddy147 wrote: »
    T5s are better for plant growth in the tank and better light quality for the fish too.

Just changed over from T8s to T5s with my 500 litre tank.

Why did the pet shop say that he couldn't get uv lights for the original t5 connection that came with the tank? I now have t8 fittings with uv lamps.............strange:confused:

I would have thought that if a new connection came out that all sorts of bulbs should be made available too including uv for the sake of turtles....

Open to correction however......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mumof2 wrote: »
    Why did the pet shop say that he couldn't get uv lights for the original t5 connection that came with the tank? I now have t8 fittings with uv lamps.............strange:confused:

I would have thought that if a new connection came out that all sorts of bulbs should be made available too including uv for the sake of turtles....

Open to correction however......

T8s were supplied with the tank,not T5.s

A full T5 setup is dearer than the T8 setup,and the deal that the petshop were doing on the tanks only included the cheaper T8s.

Went back to the pet store and asked for the T5s instead,as thats what they had in their display aquariam,and hats what I thought I was getting.

The pet store said ok,and gave us the more expensive T5s for free.I handed back in the T8 setup in exchange for the T5s.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    T8s were supplied with the tank,not T5.s

A full T5 setup is dearer than the T8 setup,and the deal that the petshop were doing on the tanks only included the cheaper T8s.

Went back to the pet store and asked for the T5s instead,as thats what they had in their display aquariam,and hats what I thought I was getting.

The pet store said ok,and gave us the more expensive T5s for free.I handed back in the T8 setup in exchange for the T5s.:)

It was the opposite with me, he was giving me the T5s (the narrower tubes and connections) with the new aquarium just before Christmas, but told me he couldn't get the tubes for it, so said it would have to be the older version connectors - T8s, I don't care really, as long as there is light and UV for the turtles, and size of bulbs don't matter to me. I actually prefer the wider ones, it seems as they give more light than narrower tubes??:confused:

Advertisement