Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First snow in Yosemite, first trip w/LX5, lessons learned (big pics)

• 22-11-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Just got back yesterday evening after a weekend for at Yosemite w/the g/f for the first snowfall of the year, and the weather did not disappoint. This was the first time ever for using my LX5, and everything was shot manual. I shot RAW and 'fine' .jpg, and everything here is .jpg, since I only have Silkypix and have zero idea thus far how to use it to my liking. Saturday night dumped another foot (at least) on the valley.

Lesson 1: I kept looking for a long exposure function, as I had to do in my old FS7, and then, after driving out of the park, it occurred to me, "Hey, Jackass, just leave the shutter open for a long time. It's full manual, you can do that." Oi! I wish I'd thought of that for the moonrise over Valley View, but I'm so used to the camera having computer-driven options that something so simple just didn't occur to me.

Lesson 2: I could have just converted all my RW2 files over to .tiffs and THEN worked on them in Photoscape, or something else I'm familiar with, but that, too, didn't occur to me until I'd already spent time working on .jpgs.

The famous elm in Cook's Meadow, w/Halfdome juuuust coming through the mist

P10000151lcshblcrop.jpg

The classic Valley View shot, that I usually avoid like the plague, but this one caught my eye because of the one, single yellow leaf at the bottom. I'm also happy that I could get El Cap Gully in at the left side of the shot.

P10000591cshbl.jpg

Fallen tree, Merced River, Cathedral Beach

P10000531cshbl.jpg

Same thing, different reflective view

P10000561cshbl.jpg

Another warhorse: the famous copse of trees in Awahnee Meadow. Just enough color on top to keep it interesting.

P10000441lcshbl.jpg

Snow on fallen tree, Merced River, looking west from the bridge if one turns left on South Side Drive i/o going right to Curry. I can never remember the name.

P10000421lcshblcrop.jpg

Looking NE from other side of bridge.

P10000321lcshbl.jpg

Royal Arches B&W

P10000391lcshbl.jpg

Finally, the shot I wish I'd had a much longer shutter open for. The moon was out for literally 1 minute. I'm converting it to a .tiff from RAW and letting my pro g/f work on it in Lightroom.

mooonriseatVV.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Some beautiful shots, first two and the last three are excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Borderfox wrote: »
    Some beautiful shots, first two and the last three are excellent

Thanks!

I'm still kicking myself about that last one, and not actually realizing that all I had to do was choose a shutter setting at, say, 10-15 seconds.

I was standing there scrolling like an idiot through all these menu trees on the LCD screen, knee-deep in snow, hoping to find one that said "long exposure" or something.

When I told the g/f, she justifiably laughed and noted that unlearning old habits is just as important as learning new equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i'd hang the first photo on my wall in large size. class. love yosemite.

Advertisement