Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THINGS YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT D15 HISTORY BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

Options
  • 22-11-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just thought that I'd start a thread where people could post questions about the history of D15.
    It doesn't matter how silly the questions are.

Heres my question.

Could anyone tell me when the actual perimetre wall around Luttrellstown Castle was built?

I've driven, cycled and walked by this wall nearly all my life and I always wondered about this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No idea. Seems to have a extremely long history though...

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/ball1-6/Ball4/ball4.1.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Is Dunboyne considered part of D15? If so, does anyone know where the name originated?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

dun is fort and boyne is a big river..the fort on the boyne..even though dunboyne is no where near the boyne...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

dun is fort and boyne is a big river..the fort on the boyne..even though dunboyne is no where near the boyne...

Well thats just it, they're nowhere near each other. Was there a cheiftain called Boyne or anything? Any links to history of the place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Meaning of dunboyne name is given here as Dun-Baeithin, Baeithin's or Boyne's fort.

Baethin could easily be a person I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Thanks Boston for that link, great reading in it.

I wish I had found it years ago, but still nothing in it about the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I've been wondering a lot lately about Knockmaroon Hill.
    Surely it would have been better to origionally have had the road going around the hill instead of up it. Maybe it went around the hill at one time, linking up with the rest of Strawberry Beds towards Lucan.
    There are some old houses in the dip at the foot of the hill that seem to indicate that this once was the case.

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Check out a book called A Candle in the window.It gives a history of all areas in Dublin 15 and its a great read. According to the book i live in the Barony of Castleknock so im gonna use that ;)

Advertisement