Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: International Experience Class (IEC)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

C@non wrote: »
    i tell you this is way harder than years ago, i went in 2006 with the student visa and it was simple.. apply, fill the form send it to the uk and 2-3 weeks after you received in the post your letter to present to immigrations!

I went on the U35 last year and believe it or not there was an error on the police cert. They kept my file open while I obtained a new one.

But going through the embassy is something else.. I wonder where all the usit bashers are this year? Apart from their ridiculous fee last year and some dodgy terms and conditions, they got me to Canada eventually!

I applied for the Australia WHM visa a few years ago.. an online application and you get your visa within 48 hours. It was a lot simpler.

N I sent mine on the 2nd of February and haven't got my email to say it's gone London yet. My BF sent his money on 03 February and got his email on the 7th so I don't think there really seems to be much consistency with the timing.:(

Did you wire the money through a branch or through online banking?

I wired mine through a branch, submitted it:

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM : Receipt of Proof of Payment
    Feb 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM : First Evaluation Phase Completed

Talk about service with a smile.

I wonder if people who submit it on internet banking a submit a gammy looking pdf which could have been typed up in word have to wait longer while Paris check whether the money has been received? or does it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

I did it in the branch- makes no sense what so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Did you wire the money through a branch or through online banking?

I wired mine through a branch, submitted it:

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM : Receipt of Proof of Payment
    Feb 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM : First Evaluation Phase Completed

Talk about service with a smile.

I wonder if people who submit it on internet banking a submit a gammy looking pdf which could have been typed up in word have to wait longer while Paris check whether the money has been received? or does it make a difference?

I think it's becoming apparent that there's very little consistency to this part of the process

I did mine in exactly the same way as you, through a branch, and they took eight days to get back to me to tell me I'd been passed on to London

It seems to be pot luck as to when you get the mail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

i just got my email now about sending it to london after uploading the proof of payment yesterday morning.
    i think it all depends on how many letters and forms they receive on a daily basis.

Tenchi, now that you have been there 1 year on a different visa, you may be able to stay there 3 full years if this new visa can be renewed for 2 years.. am i rite?

• Advertisement

Tenchi, now that you have been there 1 year on a different visa, you may be able to stay there 3 full years if this new visa can be renewed for 2 years.. am i rite?

I've only been here 3 months so far as part of the U35.

But I think you're right. I read one line on the website which suggested I can apply for an additional 2 years as an IEC participant.

Funny enough, i met a girl over here who participated on the student program twice (once as a student, once as a graduate).. she was planning on applying a third time to the U35. Now it looks like she'll be able to apply another 2 times.

It's definitely opening up a lot of options for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlehannah96

cookies221 wrote: »
    Anybody have a link to a decent travel insurance company? Trying to sort out all this paperwork asap...

backpacker insurance
    and also
    multitrip.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Snooz

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend are in Canada on the U35 program and we have applied to the IEC for a second year.

We both sent off our forms on 1st February. My boyf has since been accepted and sent his payment and got the email to say it's onto the 2nd phase and on its way to London. All within 10 days of posting the application from Canada.

My application has not even been received yet in Paris. Should I be getting worried? I know there's no consistency as to how long you have to wait for an email from them, everyone seems to have a different story.

But my problem is if they don't receive it by next week, I will have to apply again. But my original police cert will be gone then. It was difficult enough to get an original police cert while living in Canada.

I'll just have to wait another few days and hope that I will hear something early next week. Maybe I should look into getting another original police cert in case my application goes missing?

Snooz,

I sent mine on the 27th of January, by priority post.
    It was suppose to arrive 2 days later, and didn't arrive until the 8th of February, Also that morning i sent it again, had my police cert done again proof of payment photo's the lot, and i had to rush back to the post office to stop it, so wait until next tuesday before you send it again is my advice.

I say tuesday because mine arrive on the tuesday and i got an email in the afternoon about 2 - 3 pm irish time

Snooz,

I sent mine on the 27th of January, by priority post.
    It was suppose to arrive 2 days later, and didn't arrive until the 8th of February, Also that morning i sent it again, had my police cert done again proof of payment photo's the lot, and i had to rush back to the post office to stop it, so wait until next tuesday before you send it again is my advice.

I say tuesday because mine arrive on the tuesday and i got an email in the afternoon about 2 - 3 pm irish time

Thanks for your advice, will wait until next Tues or Wedn before I really panic. I'm not exactly surprised! Last year, I sent off my application and my boyfriend's on the same day and he got his visa from Usit 5 weeks before me. He always gets the good news first!!

Think I will have to get another original police cert though cos that will take another week or 2 by the time it's posted here to Canada and I might need it if my application did go astray or if I get refused for some reason.

• Advertisement

was it registered post you sent it with? it almost seems that priority or express post gets delayed and i can only imagine that maybe it arrives in a different section of the office or they get looked at after as regular post seems to go through no problem.

But also if all goes wrong and you BF has his visa you can always try the spouse option..

a friend of mine is there 2 years now and her visa ran out but the boyfriend got his visa renewed and she is able to stay with him with the spouse visa option.

But fingers crossed for you as i was there for nearly 2 weeks on the anpost website refreshing every 30 seconds and when i gave up all hopes i got an email before i got confirmation my anpost that it arrived.

was it registered post you sent it with? it almost seems that priority or express post gets delayed and i can only imagine that maybe it arrives in a different section of the office or they get looked at after as regular post seems to go through no problem.

But also if all goes wrong and you BF has his visa you can always try the spouse option..

a friend of mine is there 2 years now and her visa ran out but the boyfriend got his visa renewed and she is able to stay with him with the spouse visa option.

But fingers crossed for you as i was there for nearly 2 weeks on the anpost website refreshing every 30 seconds and when i gave up all hopes i got an email before i got confirmation my anpost that it arrived.

No i didn't send it by registered post. I'm already in Canada and I sent both our forms by regular post at the same time. It took 7 days to get to France.

I'm not too sure about the spouse visa option, does that mean the spouse can't work? If your friend is sponsored, that's a different story I think. We're both working and we need both wages!

Thanks for your reply, hopefully I'll have good news next week.

Basically the boyfriend got sponsored by his job and she was able to apply as spouse because he was able to stay on.. they are not married or anything just together for years..

Hope you get an email this week, by tuesday would be my guess!

Snooz- It looks like it's different for the IEC- the website gives the following examples: What is a "common law partner"?

What does “accompany” mean within the framework of the IEC initiative?

Within the framework of the IEC iniative, the verb “accompany” means “to be dependent on” or “to be reliant on”. On the Declaration Form, when you tick that you will not be “accompanied” to Canada, you acknowledge that no individual will be reliant on you. In other words, you declare knowing that no other individual may benefit from a status, visa or permit (i.e. work or study) based on the simple fact of going to Canada with you. In this sense, you cannot be “accompanied” to Canada as each of your dependants is responsible for obtaining his/her own status in Canada.

Your dependants can go with you to Canada but each person is responsible for his/her own application and/or his/her own status (please see the explanations below).

I would like to apply to the IEC initiative. Can my family come with me?

Yes, your family can come to Canada with you. However, each of your dependants (spouse/common-law partner/child/children) will have to obtain his/her own status. Please see the scenarios below.

I would like to apply to the IEC initiative. Can my partner* come with me? (*The word ‘’partner’’ designates a spouse or common-law partner.)

Yes, he/she can come with you. However, your partner will have to obtain his/her own status.

I would like to apply to the IEC initiative. Can my partner* come with me without a work permit? (*The word ‘’partner’’ designates a spouse or common-law partner.)

Yes. At the time of applying, you must indicate that you are a couple by:

Completing all the boxes in the appropriate column in section 1 of the IEC application form.
    Attaching 2 identity photos of your spouse, as per the requirements set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. These photos must be stapled to the bottom of your application form, face-up, next to yours. Each of the photos must have the signature of your partner on the back.
    Attaching a legible photocopy of the identification pages of his/her passport (family name, given name(s), date of birth, issuance and expiry dates). If your partner would like to remain in Canada for as long as you, his/her passport must be valid long enough to cover this period.
    Your partner will be considered a temporary resident (visitor, tourist) in Canada and will not be able to work there. The duration of his/her visitor status will be determined by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry to Canada. For more information on temporary residence status in Canada, please click here:

Does my partner require a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) to come to Canada with me?

To know if your partner requires a temporary resident visa, please click here: www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

If so, he/she must comply with the instructions.

If not, please read carefully the information regarding temporary residence status in Canada.

My partner will come to Canada with me and wishes to work there. What are his/her options?

If your partner wishes to work in Canada, there are two options for him/her:

He/she can submit his/her own application to the IEC initiative. He/she must meet all of the eligibility criteria for the IEC and comply with all the instructions. In this instance, you may submit your applications in the same envelope.
    He/she may submit an application for a temporary work permit outside of the IEC initiative. All the information related to this can be found here.
    In this instance, your partner must send his/her application directly to the Visas and Immigration Service of the Embassy of Canada in the UK and pay them the fees related to his/her application. Your partner will have to mention that you have submitted an application to the IEC initiative. Your partner’s application will be processed independently of yours.

In the two cases above, at the time of applying, you will have to indicate that you are in a couple by completing all the boxes in the appropriate column in section 1 of the IEC application form.

I would like to apply to the IEC initiative. May my child come with me? What will his/her status be?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

getting nervous about this...my app was sent to london last mon and i aint heard anything yet....hoping that rejection letter isnt in the post:(..

anyone in the same boat?....anyone complete the whole process yet and get accepted?

think i should have given usit the extra cash:D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

eamog1888 wrote: »
    getting nervous about this...my app was sent to london last mon and i aint heard anything yet....hoping that rejection letter isnt in the post:(..

anyone in the same boat?....anyone complete the whole process yet and get accepted?

think i should have given usit the extra cash:D:cool:

Yeah iv been waiting impatiently too since mine was sent to London Feb 2nd. I suppose they did say 8 weeks altogether though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

obeara wrote: »
    Yeah iv been waiting impatiently too since mine was sent to London Feb 2nd. I suppose they did say 8 weeks altogether though! :D

i just thought that once passed phase one then it would be wrapped up fairly quickly...head is wrecked...my job is all over the place at the min so was hoping for a quick response..2nd of Feb:eek:...thought u would be well sorted by now...well at least i know theres others ahead in the process and still waiting:cool:...goodluck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I've only been here 3 months so far as part of the U35.

But I think you're right. I read one line on the website which suggested I can apply for an additional 2 years as an IEC participant.

Funny enough, i met a girl over here who participated on the student program twice (once as a student, once as a graduate).. she was planning on applying a third time to the U35. Now it looks like she'll be able to apply another 2 times.

It's definitely opening up a lot of options for people.
    Do you think ppl on the under 35 have to submit a canadian cert?

as some one said it here in this tread, No news is good News...
    i would like to think that too as i dont want to see that letter come in the post!
    email open 24/7 and im sending out positive energy..

also because i really want to stop and quit my stupid job!! come on!!! freedom!

Sent off my application from Canada on 1st February. Still no email to say they received it. Gonna apply again cos it looks like it's been lost in the post. It should take 5-7 days for regular post to go from Canada to France.

Was anyone else waiting this long for their application to be received in France? It's been exactly 2 weeks now.

Must get another original police cert and new pics etc for new application, really pissed off over the whole process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Snooz wrote: »
    Sent off my application from Canada on 1st February. Still no email to say they received it. Gonna apply again cos it looks like it's been lost in the post. It should take 5-7 days for regular post to go from Canada to France.

Was anyone else waiting this long for their application to be received in France? It's been exactly 2 weeks now.

Must get another original police cert and new pics etc for new application, really pissed off over the whole process

No, mine only took 3-4 days before it was received and I received the mail. I would send it again, and register it, and maybe put a cover letter with it advising you had originally sent the application and quote the origonal ID you were given, just in case there is any confusion at a later stage.
    What address did you send it to exactly?

Thanks for the advice, sending it agin this week . I definitely sent it to the right address cos I sent my boyfriend's application at the same time and his was received within a week and he's onto the 2nd phase now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bertocon

Got my proof of payment email on 4th of February, its now 15th of February and no e-mail sayin its gone to london yet..... anyone else in the same boat?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mysty

Bertocon wrote: »
    Got my proof of payment email on 4th of February, its now 15th of February and no e-mail sayin its gone to london yet..... anyone else in the same boat?!

I uploaded my proof of payment last night and received an email today to say today that my file is being sent to London today. I'm hoping the next email will be to say i got the visa :) the email subject was "First Evaluation Phase Completed‏" - Bertcon, did you get this email??

Snooz wrote: »

really sorry to hear that it didnt get there in the end.. as i said mine was just under the 2 weeks when it got there, but the level of mail sent in must be high... i still believe it will show up this week, but you do what you have to do, dont let us stop you. for me it tuck 12 days to arrive, and that was after a 2 day delivery service.

Bertocon wrote: »

My initial letter tuck days to arrive, but i had the opposite with proof of payment, i got a email the very next day saying that it went to london.

Bert- loads of us in the same boat seems to be no consistency with when you get through to second phase I upload mine on 02 Feb and still waiting to hear my bf uploaded his on 02 feb and get his email the next day. I've emailed London but no reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bertocon

Bert- loads of us in the same boat seems to be no consistency with when you get through to second phase I upload mine on 02 Feb and still waiting to hear my bf uploaded his on 02 feb and get his email the next day. I've emailed London but no reply

Nice to hear im not alone but it's startin to piss me off at this stage, ive emailed them too and no reply. Anyone have a contact number or e-mail address for the Youth Mobility Unit in Paris????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

did many of you just send it through regular post or did you have it registered?

• Advertisement

its just the proof of payment- you attach it to that email thing

Advertisement