Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 and FBD/An Post RAS

• 22-11-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a question are Cat A4 riders allowed to Race in The RAS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

yeah on the footpath dressed in a mankini when the race passes by

I dont think so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just a question are Cat A4 riders allowed to Race in The RAS?

No

A4 riders are not allowed to race in any stage race in 2011.

The RAS allows A+/A1/A2/A3's to enter but it's an invitation only event so entering does not guarantee you a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

RobFowl wrote: »
    Really? That's really dumb. The stage races were very successful this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Upgrade to A3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

The RAS allows A+/A1/A2/A3's to enter but it's an invitation only event so entering does not guarantee you a place.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Guys for the replys
    So Even if ya want to race the Ras it's by invitation only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Hi Barry,
    I'm curious why you ask the question?? (yea, I know - 'because you want the answer' - but are you a Cat 4 who want's to ride the Ras or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

No

The RAS allows A+/A1/A2/A3's to enter but it's an invitation only event so entering does not guarantee you a place.

Not sure it's invitation only

http://www.anpostras.com/uploads/county_team_application_from_2010.doc

There is an entry form online for county teams. Nothing to stop 5 a3s from sending in form and seeing what organisers say. Invitation applies moreso to the foreign contingent as I understand they get expenses covered etc. Also race organisation will want to control level of abilities of foreign teams to avoid hot squads coming over anddo this with the invitation stipulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A4 riders are not allowed to race in any stage race in 2011

Not even the Cycling Pursuits 3 Day? That was A4-only in 2010.

edit: can't find it in the 2011 draft calendar.

<insert sad lolcat here>

Hi Barry,
    I'm curious why you ask the question?? (yea, I know - 'because you want the answer' - but are you a Cat 4 who want's to ride the Ras or what?

I am curious why you are asking that question? Are you a boards poster? Or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I was gonna ask a similar question about the Shay Elliott Memorial. I see on the draft calendar it's listed as A+/A1/A2. I'd hope to be racing as an A3 next year, but would have loved to have a go at this. How strict are they on the categories taking part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

The reason I asked the question a friend of mine who is a A4 would like to ride the RAS,I was unsure that he would be able to compete in it as an A4,thats all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Not sure it's invitation only

http://www.anpostras.com/uploads/county_team_application_from_2010.doc

There is an entry form online for county teams. Nothing to stop 5 a3s from sending in form and seeing what organisers say. Invitation applies moreso to the foreign contingent as I understand they get expenses covered etc. Also race organisation will want to control level of abilities of foreign teams to avoid hot squads coming over anddo this with the invitation stipulation

1. Entry for the FBD INSURANCE RÁS is by invitation only. The completion and return of a UCI Enrolment Form does not automatically guarantee inclusion in the race.

http://www.anpostras.com/event/fbdras_635.shtml

;)

That said I think it applies more to the pro teams all right. If there are too many county team applications they do use it there as well though.

1. Entry for the FBD INSURANCE RÁS is by invitation only. The completion and return of a UCI Enrolment Form does not automatically guarantee inclusion in the race.

http://www.anpostras.com/event/fbdras_635.shtml

;)

So a club/team/cohort could apply with entry form to get the wheels rolling?.......

Like which comes first? The budget or the'lection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've ridden the Shay Elliot twice. 14th the first year and shelled early two years later. Believe me when I tell you, the glamour of the event is greatly reduced when you're riding it as glorified touring event. If you're not strong enough to warrant pushing yourself up to A2, then I'd give the event miss unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've ridden the Shay Elliot twice. 14th the first year and shelled early two years later. Believe me when I tell you, the glamour of the event is greatly reduced when you're riding it as glorified touring event. If you're not strong enough to warrant pushing yourself up to A2, then I'd give the event miss unfortunately.
    I was unsure that he would be able to compete in it as an A4,thats all

he won't :) and it's for the best!

The reason I asked the question a friend of mine who is a A4 would like to ride the RAS,I was unsure that he would be able to compete in it as an A4,thats all

He can upgrade himself to A3 are try to get on a team but I'm with Uberwolf on this one. No A3 (AFAIK) rode it last year and even good A1 riders were struggling from day 1. I suspect if he did attempt in on a diet of 50k A4 races then he'd be seeing me very quickly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Hi again Barry.
    I think your friend would need to be winning A4 races with one leg in order to be able to survive the Ras behind the broom wagon. It's not just the sheer speed - there's the distance as well.
    He would be best off to get an A3 lisence and do the early 3-days - that would give him an indication of where he is in the pack. Ras Mumhan is the best test.

And then there is the training for the event. You would really need to decide now and plan towards being at your best in May. I did it 3 times and because I was fulltime worker I had to use my A/L for training on Weds and then a club league race that night. So for this one km's, km's and more km's is the diet.

Oh as well you would have to go to Mumhan and Ulster to get used to the intensity !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You would need to be doing well in Ras Mumhan and Ulster to even be able to hang on at the back in the RAS. I know of A1 riders who have won multiple races and who were shelled out the back and finishing an hour or two down in the RAS.

Apart from that if you have the legs and the license for it, just go around the various teams and see if anyone is short a man. I hear this year it will be teams of 6 so there should be plenty of places around and teams are always short a man or two through dropouts in the weeks leading up to it. You will have to pay your way though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I'm surprised that A3's can enter. I was under the impression that only the top two cats can enter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Having seen the speed of it last year for the first time - unless you are a very strong A2 rider, I wouldn't try... (By all means, become a strong A2 rider though). It can turn into a sportif behind the broom pretty quick... Lots of other great 3/4 day stage races - I highly recommend Ras Mumhan. (And if you can keep with the front group each day on that, then thing about the RAS)

On day 3 the first 2 hours where strung out single file with an average speed of 50kmph on crappy roads. Chewing on handle bars does not describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

So Even if ya want to race the Ras it's by invitation only

If you're at the level where you're able to enter the Ras the only thing that'll stop you is a lack of a team. Shouldnt be a huge problem though if you really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Northener

Having seen the speed of it last year for the first time - unless you are a very strong A2 rider, I wouldn't try... (By all means, become a strong A2 rider though). It can turn into a sportif behind the broom pretty quick... Lots of other great 3/4 day stage races - I highly recommend Ras Mumhan. (And if you can keep with the front group each day on that, then thing about the RAS)

On day 3 the first 2 hours where strung out single file with an average speed of 50kmph on crappy roads. Chewing on handle bars does not describe it.

Well described Ryan.........I was there though not as a rider.Amazing stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Do Ladies have to be A3 as well for stage races this year?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm surprised that A3's can enter. I was under the impression that only the top two cats can enter

Me too. I always thought you had to be minimum A2

Not sure if A3's can enter the RAS. In previous years A and B riders could but C riders could not. It depends if A3 is seen as a C+ category or B-. I think last year it was A3 and above however.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Not sure if A3's can enter the RAS. In previous years A and B riders could but C riders could not. It depends if A3 is seen as a C+ category or B-. I think last year it was A3 and above however.

I'm only going by the eligible categories stated on the CI calendar last year and the draft one this year.
    Personally I think an A3 rider would have to be exceptionally talented to ride it. I suspect that if a team of A3 riders applied for a place they would get rejected fairly quickly.

I'm only going by the eligible categories stated on the CI calendar last year and the draft one this year.
    Personally I think an A3 rider would have to be exceptionally talented to ride it. I suspect that if a team of A3 riders applied for a place they would get rejected fairly quickly.

Rejected would be kinder than being ejected out the back on stage one like many of the great and good of Irish cycling were in this years edition !

has the Ras gone beyond the ability of the average Irish rider???

• Advertisement

has the Ras gone beyond the ability of the average Irish rider???

I think so, certainly in terms of competing for the overall or even stages.
    The top Irish (non-pro) finisher last year was 17th and there were only 10 or so Irish riders in the top 50 on GC all of top domestic standard at the very least.
    That said I get the feeling that the standard of Irish riders is improving and they are getting more competitive year after year.

I feel its a pity

an average rider working full time in ireland can barely hang on in the Ras in these modern times by the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I feel its a pity

an average rider working full time in ireland can barely hang on in the Ras in these modern times by the looks of things

I think you can work full time and ride the RAS well too (I did) - but you have to be very very committed. Have a family at the same time... now that is starting to get difficult!

There are other great stage races too to do - and lots of them towards the end of last year I couldn't do because I was an A1. As an A1 rider, the RAS is something to strieve towards and I think it is really great that we have something like this on our shores. On the MTB, I always have to travel to get good competition (outside of one or two Irish riders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just as well we've got loads of unemployed people then. Maybe we can relate their social welfare payments to VO2Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I feel its a pity

I think the men of the RAS were always above average riders. An average rider never had a chance to compete, and, to be fair, should not be allowed to compete. The RAS is the biggest stage race in Ireland, and as such needs to be reserved for the top domestic riders only. Anything less than a good A2 (B in old terms) should never be allowed to enter. Otherwise it dilutes the competition. The different licenses are different for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭columbus_66

You'd be surprised at what riders can get around the Ras well, some of them might not even get up in a race all year long.

• Advertisement

Paddy Moriarty was the top Irish finisher a good few times. He was working hard as an engineer but was able to compete because of his training (and ability!).

And remember the brits used to used it for their pursuit squad training..remember the famous day when the all put on 55 rings for the stage into enniscorthy???

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

lots of riders can "get around" the ras but it usually involves spending a lot of time with mick lawless. fair play to lads doing that once to say they did the ras but i cant understand guys doing it year after year

i think winning the ras is beyond the good irish domestic riders but winning a stage is a possibility, a slim one but still a possibility!!!

I think the men of the RAS were always above average riders. An average rider never had a chance to compete, and, to be fair, should not be allowed to compete. The RAS is the biggest stage race in Ireland, and as such needs to be reserved for the top domestic riders only. Anything less than a good A2 (B in old terms) should never be allowed to enter. Otherwise it dilutes the competition. The different licenses are different for a reason.

The Ras has been upgraded to UCI status in the last 5-10 years, more higher calibre teams are competing generally now.

I think the difficulty has got harder (look at average speeds increasing - more than just technological advances).

There is no current definition of a "good A2" as opposed to an "bad" one - so your "should" stipulation above doesn't stand - a rider may not get a result for first few months of year precisely because they may be preparing for the Ras.

"Needs to be reserved for the top domestic riders only" is pure elitism. Some riders improve because they get a Ras into their legs.

How did he Ras start? it sure wasn't about elitism - read the great book that was put together a few years back.

Why can't an aspiring young rider or half decent A2 aspire to get around the Ras.

The reason it's the top Irish stage race is because the Pro Tour of Ireland comes and goes with economic circumstances. That's not the fault of an average county rider so why is that a reason to exclude them from the Ras???

I am sure the volunteers on the Ras like seeing average Irish riders getting around or dare I say it even doing well in the Ras. I doubt they get more joy from Snidder von Pinklebottom from Bravaria or Cape Town whooping stages during the race.

Also, the sponsor upto this year was FBD. Wasn't it good for their publicity amongst their farming customers for young Johnny down the road finishing in the bunch or competing for first county rider / first B etc???

I think the hit squad such as the British track team diluted the competition in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I feel its a pity

Mickey O'Reily was 10th on Stage 3 this year. He works full-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

The Ras has been upgraded to UCI status in the last 5-10 years, more higher calibre teams are competing generally now.

I think the difficulty has got harder (look at average speeds increasing - more than just technological advances).

There is no current definition of a "good A2" as opposed to an "bad" one - so your "should" stipulation above doesn't stand - a rider may not get a result for first few months of year precisely because they may be preparing for the Ras.

"Needs to be reserved for the top domestic riders only" is pure elitism. Some riders improve because they get a Ras into their legs.

How did he Ras start? it sure wasn't about elitism - read the great book that was put together a few years back.

Why can't an aspiring young rider or half decent A2 aspire to get around the Ras.

The reason it's the top Irish stage race is because the Pro Tour of Ireland comes and goes with economic circumstances. That's not the fault of an average county rider so why is that a reason to exclude them from the Ras???

I am sure the volunteers on the Ras like seeing average Irish riders getting around or dare I say it even doing well in the Ras. I doubt they get more joy from Snidder von Pinklebottom from Bravaria or Cape Town whooping stages during the race.

Also, the sponsor upto this year was FBD. Wasn't it good for their publicity amongst their farming customers for young Johnny down the road finishing in the bunch or competing for first county rider / first B etc???

I think the hit squad such as the British track team diluted the competition in recent years.

Yes, down with elitism.

Are you the same side show bob that is selling the 'Pinarello Prince', with special 'Prince of Spain' paintwork btw?

• Advertisement

Yes, down with elitism.

Are you the same side show bob that is selling the 'Pinarello Prince', with special 'Prince of Spain' paintwork btw?

No - that's Alessandro Valverde or Sir Alan Sugar - both imposters and wanabe Bobs dont u kno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

jdt101 wrote: »
    Mickey O'Reily was 10th on Stage 3 this year. He works full-time.

Mickey O'Reilly, isn't an average rider though, he rode full time on the continent for a few years and has a lot of talent. He reckoned he was boxed in in the sprint that day or would have finished higher.

But I know a few Cat 2's that haven't raced or trained since the RAS because they found it so hard mentally and physically.

A cat 4 would need many miles in their legs and a few stints of water boarding to prepare for it

Advertisement