Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the UAE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

I'm also interested in working in the UAE or in Qatar.

I work in the languages field (teaching / translation) but am a jack of all trades so wouldn't mind working in business, government, media, anywhere languages are a bonus really. I have fluent French, German and basic Arabic. What would be my chances of picking up a well-paid job there? And how much would I be able to save in a year? I know that salaries are negotiated on a case-by-case basis, but I'd like to get a rough monthly ball-park figure of what to expect.

From my current research, I see rents are quite high out there and buying is not that easy for expats so I'm wondering what disposable income is like at the end of the month. Can the money be paid into an Irish bank account? Are there any catches to earning a tax-free salary in Qatar for example? It just sounds too good to be true!

I'd be sharing with my husband (who is Muslim and of Arab origin), no kids. We are both EU citizens currently in the process of applying for visas.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone in a similar field already working in either UAE or Qatar. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Chinasea wrote: »
    Flip de flops, I'm certainly not answerable to you..and ask that you keep things at least polite and if you continue to be rude then I will not answer at all.

Personally, however I feel answerable to the welfare of my country, my environment and my fellow citizens – of course this is only my personal stance and sadly in my opinion not the norm.

I take exception to the fact that some Irish citizens who have been educated for free once qualified depart the country and blatantly patrol forums enquiring as to ways they can avoid paying any type of tax back to the country that has educated them. I have a problem with that and I have a problem with the fact that you can’t see that that is a problem.

PS: I have done my time abroad in the last recession. Furthermore I didn’t see myself as some sort of martyr saving the county thousands on welfare by my absence – rather I enjoyed the experience and breaks that I received that enabled me to move upwards and onwards with my life but while I was away bettering myself, the fire was still lighting at home and that didn’t happen all by itself.

This post is mad, you can't have it both ways .

I live in the Netherlands and work in Germany, I pay full income tax in Germany and pay no income tax in the Netherlands, that would just be stupid.

Tax Treaties are in place for a reason, i.e. so you do not pay tax twice (mainly income tax)

What am I supposed to do, Pay my German Taxes, then throw some money into the Dutch tax office and then when i'm back in Ireland fire a bit of money into the Revenue ?

You pay your Taxes where you work, unless you travel under a secondment agreement whereby you can work in another country for a limited amount of time and pay taxes at home.

You pay taxes indirectly on what you spend anyway and Ireland generates alot of its revenue from people spending money (Stamp Duty, VAT etc) If anything someone going abroad to work and coming back is going to generate more revenue for the government than sitting on their arse at home burning up Social Welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes American citizens DO have to pay US income taxes even if living abroad. I work with a guy who pays income tax locally and then another 10 grand per annum or so to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Chinasea wrote: »
    I don't think you are understanding my views or moreover the concept.

We should not have to be forced to pay tax - we should want to pay and I gave the Danish readiness as the example, all be it a total alien concept. I am not going to argue about the fantastic infrastructure in many of the Scandinavian countries and even in some of the harsh Eastern European countries. Again I believe a lot of this is down to the mentality and civic mindednesses of its citizens as opposed to the ‘me fein, attitude which I think is a major problem in this country.

In many of our neighbouring European countries you are given a loan to study and as soon as you are gainfully employed no matter where or when you must pay back the loan and a further small tax in some cases on this loan. We of course haven’t even got this practice in place which on the other hand, has been in existence for over 50 years in some of the Scandinavian countries.

No offense buddy, but the Irish state does not require ex-pats to pay tax on income they earn while living abroad, therefore they are not required to nor should they feel obliged to pay tax to the state.

The free (???) education in Ireland is funded by a majority of people in the country - the purpose is to fuel the knowledge economy - because the state has destroyed any prospects of a manufacturing economy. The educated workforce doesn't only benefit the individual, but also the entire state and its inhabitants though the benefits it provides to the economy. These graduates go out into the workforce & pay back into the tax system generating revenues for the state & aid in educating the next generation. Some will travel abroad and educate themselves further & many will return to Ireland - upskilled and cash rich & will add further benefits to our economy. They will also generate employment and wealth through their connection to Ireland on the international jobs market.

I was educated for free (???) in this country, for a manufacturing industry that no longer exists. I had to re-educate myself because our government abandoned me & I have paid more than enough tax to pay third level fees for a good portion of middle class in this country.

I will now leave the country, with no intention of paying any tax to the Irish people. I currently pay tax to pay for the bonuses of corrupt & failing banks and to support a government who continue to get rich off my hard work even though they are utterly corrupt. I will not support the Irish people who were happy to continuously re-elect a corrupt government, because those people were happy to benefit from that corruption.

To be honest Chinasea, your comments give me the impression that you are very naive & lack basic understanding of economy and tax systems. You are very confident in your beliefs, but not particularly well versed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I happen to have a different point of view then you. I am in no way shape or form naive - as I have repeatedly stated and painfully tried to point out - the concepts I chart out may appear alien but they are far from naive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement