Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Kinect TV Mount

• 22-11-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Theres a few ones online already, but I'm making my own as we speak. I cut a a paper template which matches the shape of the rear of my TV at the top. There's a curve, a 90 degree angle, and an indented groove to contend with.

After that, I transferred the template to some 1.5 inch thick compressed foam, and cut two pieces out to match, and glued them together. Tomorrow, I'll fill the outer edges of the foam with some car body filler, and sand the piece perfectly smooth afterwards, then paint it glossy black.

When it's done, I'll use some self adhesive velcro to fix it to the TV, and some heavy duty double sided tape to mount the kinect. I've trial fitted it so far, and it looks good! Photos I'll upload later/tomorrow. Total cost, bugger all really (Some foam, some glue, some filler, some sandpaper, and some paint).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Theres a few ones online already, but I'm making my own as we speak. I cut a a paper template which matches the shape of the rear of my TV at the top. There's a curve, a 90 degree angle, and an indented groove to contend with.

After that, I transferred the template to some 1.5 inch thick compressed foam, and cut two pieces out to match, and glued them together. Tomorrow, I'll fill the outer edges of the foam with some car body filler, and sand the piece perfectly smooth afterwards, then paint it glossy black.

When it's done, I'll use some self adhesive velcro to fix it to the TV, and some heavy duty double sided tape to mount the kinect. I've trial fitted it so far, and it looks good! Photos I'll upload later/tomorrow. Total cost, bugger all really (Some foam, some glue, some filler, some sandpaper, and some paint).

I feel cheap/lazy now - as I just used blu-tack. A small bit on the front and a big lump on the back to keep the sensor somewhat level and stable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Worked great, but I haven't painted it yet. 3 photos below (All crappy, all iPhone), first is the template drawn onto the foam, second are two copies of the foam cut out before I glued them together, and the last photo is the prototype sitting on the top of the TV covered in filler and primed, but not painted. It's being held on by double sided velcro, and the groove you can see in the foam cutout.

Verdict? Makes using the Kinect a lot simpler than it was when it was resting on the TV table, and space/face recognition seems to be less of an issue now. Can't wait to paint it!

attachment.php?attachmentid=138470&stc=1&d=1291676879

attachment.php?attachmentid=138471&stc=1&d=1291676891

attachment.php?attachmentid=138473&stc=1&d=1291677001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Nicely done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Looks great, tempted to try one myself now. Given your line of business, I'd imagine you have a lot of the materials to hand so it would be cheap for you to do it. Would you be able to give us a ball park figure of how much the materials would cost a lay person (not the packing foam, the paint and stuff).

• Advertisement

Tin of filler in Halfords, about 12 Euro. Paint - I use sprayable expensive stuff, but you could just get a tin of Satin Black aerosol for about 8 euro, and then you're done.

Just literally finished it. Very happy with the results, and looks great in Black. Will take a photo in the daylight tomorrow and post it. On hindsight, I'd have reduced the vertical thickness of the mount, but then maybe it wouldn't be as stable, or as proportioned looking as it is. I tried to copy the curves of the Kinect's own foot, but in reverse, and it isn't the worst job.

162784_10150105140888413_547383412_7371340_4770917_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

That looks class, man. Fair play. I won't be posting pics of my effort, if I ever get around to doing it... :)

Advertisement