Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay but can't stand most drag queens :D

Options
  • 22-11-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Not meant to offend. Just every night I'm out on the scene recently, everywhere is completely bombarded by drag queens. The sad thing is they're not in the slightest bit funny. They're merely dressing up in drag to get attention and I think they feel it allows them to be as bitchy as possible. Totally turning me off going out lately :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What does the fact that you're gay have to do with hating drag queens?

I think they're funny enough. I've noticed the newer drag queens aren't as bitchy as the older ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 HalsOdyssey

Totally agree with you really. It's just that you don't find too many drags in straight clubs lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think there is a bit a marmite thing about drag queens. Bingo in the George gets predominantly the same people at it every week laughing at the same humor, never really got the whole drag thing myself but did think that quite often they verge more on rude than funny. Each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭A lemon

I definitely don't get it either. I remember being in Pantibar on a drag night and it was just torture. I find it really irritating - just a load of screeching blasting out of the speakers. Each to their own, most of the people I know on the scene enjoy it. I tend to keep my views on these things to myself though, it's sacrilege in some quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't think you have to like drag just because you're gay.

dunno, I get the idea and a well done drag act can be really good, but I can take it or leave it. I know one guy who does drag, and he really does put on a great act, but then there's people who'll do drag and put in no effort at all, so like anything else, there's some good and some bad aspects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Try the Panti bar when the Furry glen is on instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I agree, they annoy me. :/

A few years ago, there was only a handful of queens, now there seems to be loads and loads. I identified drag queens as being men over 40, but now the drag queens are in their late teens and early 20s! I think that's only a good thing. I do love their names - I saw one called Mary Harness lol.

But I do see why people get fed up of their act - they do the same songs every week, and use the same jokes on people that they interview (and at times, they cross the line and are just plain rude to boost their ego). The Sunday George act has been basically the same for years!

Suppose the problem is that the two main nightclubs, the G and the Dragon, are supporters of the drag queen acts. We just need more variety for those that don't fancy a drag act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

We just need more variety for those that don't fancy a drag act.

I think we need more variety in general. first place I'd start is the music, too much typical pop music in every gay venue I've been to, it's not like every LGBT person has the same tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I honestly dont get the whole drag queen thing. Why would you want to go see somebody dressed up (badly) as a woman and miming (badly) to songs?

When did drag queens get so intertwined with gay clubs and pubs?

I went to the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in London last year and there was a brilliant drag queen on there. To be honest he looked so convincing as a woman and sang live (fantastically) but in Dublin it seems anybody can put on a wig and a dress and get up on stage no matter how bad they are.

I used to always go to the George for bingo on a Sunday and while I love Shirley Temple Bar over the years the show has just turned into a whole parade of drag queens doing the same songs over and over again.

I dont really go out on the scene at all now as most pubs seem to have drag queens on every night. I have heard there is meant to be a new gay club opening in Capel Street (where the luas crosses) soon so hopefully that will be something different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

I'll probably get shot for this, but one of the things that I found sad about the scene - or the people that I met there - was the following mentality:

I'm gay, and therefore I must think this way, I must dress this way, I must talk this way, I must like this music, I must spend my evenings this way every weekend, etc., etc., etc.

I even had comments like this fired at me, half-jokingly: You can't be gay if you do that, think that, like music like that...

Yes, we're all gay, but surely we are stifling our individuality, our creativity and our lives by living strictly by a creed imposed by God-knows-who? It's suffocating! I'd rather opt out altogether than follow that route to nowhere.

I'm gay, but I'm ME first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Personally I'm not really into drag in general, I just don't think its that funny or skillful or anything. I do like drag kings though sometimes, but as far as I am aware (could be wrong now) they are few and far between.

DS333 wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot for this, but one of the things that I found sad about the scene - or the people that I met there - was the following mentality:

I'm gay, and therefore I must think this way, I must dress this way, I must talk this way, I must like this music, I must spend my evenings this way every weekend, etc., etc., etc.

I even had comments like this fired at me, half-jokingly: You can't be gay if you do that, think that, like music like that...

Yes, we're all gay, but surely we are stifling our individuality, our creativity and our lives by living strictly by a creed imposed by God-knows-who? It's suffocating! I'd rather opt out altogether than follow that route to nowhere.

Who's saying these kind of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

As a transgendered woman, I have to say that I find the way that Panti introduces whatserface as "Ireland's number one transsexual" to be somewhat disturbing.

During the interval in the Panti show on a particular Thursday that I was there some time ago, two American lads came over and started talking to me. One of their first questions to me was "when are you on stage?" Ugh :mad:

Being transgendered is a serious thing, folks - it isn't something that I am going through for your damn entertainment!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Apart from that one significant gripe, as far as I am concerned, "to each their own".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Links234 wrote: »
    I think we need more variety in general. first place I'd start is the music, too much typical pop music in every gay venue I've been to, it's not like every LGBT person has the same tastes.
    +1, give me a gay metal night. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Links234 wrote: »

Amen!!!

One of the main reasons I stopped going out on the scene so much was because I hate the chart music that is always played. Lady GaGa, Rianna, Beyonce, Katy Perry on constant rotation. Why do people think that if you are gay or lesbian you automatically love the top 40 crap that can be listened to all day, every day on the music channels/radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You should go to Wacken, it like a big gay metal festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Im neither here nor there with drag queens personally.
    I think that in the LGBT society drag queens are accepted so therefore it doesnt surprise me to see one on the scene, in 'normal' society drag queens aren't ergo why you wouldn't see one in a straight bar.

Also i doubt people dress in drag just as a way to bitch more or get attention, i mean seriously there are other ways one could get attention without subjugating themselves to ridicule from the majority. It's more likely because they enjoy dressing up like a woman/man and feel as i said that the LGBT scene is more open.

Boston wrote: »

So, who's up for a boards LGBT meet up at next years Wacken...... Anyone? lol

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flashhill

I remember seen my first show and thinking that was it? Like all they did was dress up and mime.
    They don’t bother me, I like The Panti Show as its not all songs but Devina on a Wednesday in the G or Victoria at Spice is pretty boring just there miming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Im not a massive fan of Drag shows, depends on my mood really. Sometimes they are fun, sometimes not. Like most things in life its about moderation with a pinch of salt and laughing it off as harmless and just a bit of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sounds good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

DS333 wrote: »

Amen, Brother! Ive been on the scene nearly 2 years now, and that's the vibe ive been getting in a lot of places like the george, prhomo or pantibar, If ye dn't like cheesy pop, wearing luminous tat from the bargain bins in topman or behave like a drama queen and speak in a certain way then your seen as being a "crap gay":confused: also, i cant see the correlation between wearing makeup and being automatically given license to act like an egotistical prick:confused: some drag queens are ok tho:)

I'll be there anyway.

Who's saying these kind of things?

You mean you've never heard such comments?!!!!:eek::eek:

I was obviously mixing in the wrong circles.:(

Amen, Brother! Ive been on the scene nearly 2 years now, and that's the vibe ive been getting in a lot of places like the george, prhomo or pantibar, If ye dn't like cheesy pop, wearing luminous tat from the bargain bins in topman or behave like a drama queen and speak in a certain way then your seen as being a "crap gay":confused: also, i cant see the correlation between wearing makeup and being automatically given license to act like an egotistical prick:confused: some drag queens are ok tho:)

Amen to you too!:)

Thank God... I was beginning to fear that I was halucinating.:eek:

I'll be there anyway.

Me too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

How gay is it really? I had friends trying to drag me to it last year and I declined. Maybe this year...

It's a very friendly environment and atmosphere. You'll encounter people with more exotic sexual tastes then happening to fancy the same sex. At the end of the day it's a metal festival and I've found metal music fans to be the least violent and aggressive music fans out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 HalsOdyssey

Let me know when it's on kirby ;) lol :D Even now and again would be nice.

Advertisement