Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hornet 250 not starting / backfiring

• 22-11-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Heya guys, I have a question. I own a 98 hornet 250 which is a fantastic bike and has gaves me no problems at all until now. NB The bike is still in daily use with 45k on the clock.
    I took it out this morning only to find great difficulty with starting and a few load backfires from the exhaust. After a few mins messing with the choke and throttle in hope getting it to start, but i was only draining down the battery... i ended up giving it a bump start...After i released the clutch in 2nd gear, a loud backfire occurred and after 2-3 seconds rolling the engine finally started up.

After the engine started the bike drove fine....(maybe i little less power than usual until i drove for 10mins and got the bike fully warmed up).

I have a feeling its something do with either the spark plugs or maybe the carbs need balancing....

im a bit stuck for cash at the moment as i recently bought new front and back tyres along with new throttle and clutch cables ( nearly €500 s+f !! ). Im wud say im mechanically minded and want to fix this problem myself and save a few yoyos...Can someone direct me in the right way ??

Anybody have any ideas ??? Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Well the backfire would be from the fuel filling into the exhaust as you try to start it over and over again.

I'd say it's the cold weather after killing your battery, check it with a multimeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Will it still not start or did it start again alright since you bumped it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deisehoonts

hey there i had a hornet 250 a few year back and in the middle of winter i had similar problems like your having and it all came back to the cold weather, i never realy got a proper explanation for wat caused it,wat i done was kept the bike indoors for a nite during a freezing nite and when i went to statr it not a bother,da following nite i left it out in da cold and da thing had to be bumped to get it goin...tis a weird fault realy.u should try that and see wat happens before you spend any cash on it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hey there i had a hornet 250 a few year back and in the middle of winter i had similar problems like your having and it all came back to the cold weather, i never realy got a proper explanation for wat caused it,wat i done was kept the bike indoors for a nite during a freezing nite and when i went to statr it not a bother,da following nite i left it out in da cold and da thing had to be bumped to get it goin...tis a weird fault realy.u should try that and see wat happens before you spend any cash on it:D

It's the cold weather, it's tough on batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It sounds like a fueling problem.
    Try not rev the bike much when starting, it will flood the engine and spark plugs
    Try the choke only when starting.
    You mentioned that you changed cables, so check they are fitted ok.
    Take out the plugs and clean them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement