Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen - Statement at 7

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

johnn wrote: »
    Now this is the type of scare-mongering I can't stand, if they were to show the books to the Irish public half of them wouldn't even understand them anyway :rolleyes:

Yes but some would.

We could then share them on the internet and let a wikipedia like community advise us on the best possible outcome.

I'm so sick of hearing people say, with a negative tone, but sure what would anyone else do. We don;t know but jeez there is no harm in seeing what they propose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Labour's nationalisation would be very very different to current FF policy.

Yeah true, we'd have just nationalised and took ownership of zombie banks straight away instead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah true, we'd have just nationalised and took ownership of zombie banks straight away instead.

Recapitalising the banks isn't the same as nationalising them. Regardless nationalisation would cost us billions less than present government policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Doodee wrote: »
    Yes but some would.

We could then share them on the internet and let a wikipedia like community advise us on the best possible outcome.

Exactly so others will then be able to manipulate what the figures mean to the Irish public, who don't understand them, in any way they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Recapitalising the banks isn't the same as nationalising them. Regardless nationalisation would cost us billions less than present government policy.

Could you explain why? I'm not familiar with Labour's plan.

Yeah, I agreed it was different.

My understanding was it was a short term nationalisation with a view to floating them again on the market, after a few years, or find a buyer.

Good luck with that after due diligence was completed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

'welcome erosion of sovreiegnty'

WTF ?

Greens OUT!!!

OUTRAGEOUS!!!

GET OUT!!!

No more automatic obedience to Europe!!!

We demand to see the books!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

'welcome erosion of sovreiegnty'

WTF ?

Greens OUT!!!

OUTRAGEOUS!!!

GET OUT!!!

No more automatic obedience to Europe!!!

We demand to see the books!!!
    Yeah shouting and "protesting" on After Hours will get you places alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Buceph wrote: »
    Could you explain why? I'm not familiar with Labour's plan.

FF have nationalised the losses and let the banks continue to trade as normal with the profits, Labour would have properly valued the banks (which FF failed to do) and taken over the entirety of the banks, including ownership of assets which is huge. There were a lot of opportunities connected with Labour's nationalisation policies unlike in FF. It would have cost far less and the govt would have had real control over the banks.

• Advertisement

FF have nationalised the losses and let the banks continue to trade as normal with the profits, Labour would have properly valued the banks (which FF failed to do) and taken over the entirety of the banks, including ownership of assets which is huge. There were a lot of opportunities connected with Labour's nationalisation policies unlike in FF. It would have cost far less and the govt would have had real control over the banks.

The whole Irish banking system has basically collapsed, people don't seem to understand this, even BOI and Permanent TSB face huge funding issues in the next few months.

The ECB have been propping them up and they want their money back.

Issues like NAMA or good assets are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I was going to post something sensible and well-thought-out but I kept rambling and nearly broke my keyboard. Then I saw that I could express myself with a smiley from the panel on the right. This is what I feel right now:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

1 smiley just wasn't enough.

Im starting to hate this country more and more everyday

damn crooks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Serious question....if one was thinking about emigrating would it be best for one to transfer monies outta the banks here now or wait?
    Open an Oz or a Swiss account and transfer? Or if you could point me to teh right forum. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭eddison

Hi Dudes, and Dudettes,

Have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdwtn0Hsc_w&feature=topvideos
    Yes it does what it says on the tin.. The new method of dealing with pesky protesters is to simply, and effectively run them over. This is more politically correct than getting the Gardai to beat them up, and therefore should be applauded as a step in the right direction.

Driving over them, in a comprehensive way, with your partners, while keeping cool heads, will lead to a positive direction for Ireland- no protesters.
    Before you ask, I don't agree with the premise of your questions..

However the BBC thought it was a good story, RTE are fearful of the same type of outcome obviously.

here's the link to the press conference if anyone wants to view it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1122/politics.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

scrap all loans and let the ppl spend i say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

statement 7 cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

The life of Brian....Always look on the bright side of life

Advertisement