Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coins/ tokens -buttons

• 22-11-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

hi been do some looking on ebay etc at some coins and came across tokens and buttons selling for a few euro .where tokens used as money or ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yup, there were periods when there wasn't enough official coinage produced, so shops/manufacturers etc. decided to produce their own to pay wages or for small change in shops etc...

"Conder" tokens from the 1790's are particularly nice often with interesting political/satirical images on them. Somebody posted a video lecture of them on this forum, but no idea where it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I remember Johnston Mooney & O'Brien's bakery in Bray used to still give out tokens in lieu of very small change in the 1960s. I wish that I had a few now - they would be on eBay with the kitchen sink. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

thanks lads that sounds cool alright :) must get the metal detector out lol and hit the beach :P

Advertisement