Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS dropping SIlverlight silly stuff in the news

Options
  • 22-11-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

When Microsoft introduced the HTML5 capabilities of IE9, they didn't talk much about Silverlight. More recently they said that HTML 5 is the "future of the Web." They also said that they were repositioning Silverlight. This has triggered a lot of people to jump to the conclusion that they are sropping Silverlight, or that it will only persist for Windows Phone 7 applications.

This seems pretty silly to me. I dont see any reason for them to talk about Silverlight in the context of IE9. HTML5 capability will be an intrinsic part of that, so it certainly would be a major topic to be discussed, when talking about it. Silverlight is a plugin on the other hand - it's not anything to do with new features of IE9. Not discussing Silverlight in that context doesn't indicate anything about it being dropped - it's just not relevant to what was being presented.

Backing HTML5 doesn't equate to dropping Silverlight as far as I can see. HTML5 will be the standard for some things people previously would have used Flash or Silverlight for; but even that will be gradual. I think Silverlight will continue to grow in the area of more programmatically complex RIAs, and I think Flash will remain the first choice for very pretty RIAs. I could also see Silverlight becoming more tied in with other MS technologies.

In any case, they have announced new Silverlight-based projects, and also are developing Silverlight 5. They are going to announce their official repositioning of Silverlight on 2 December:

http://www.silverlight.net/news/events/firestarter/

Advertisement