Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your crown jewel

• 22-11-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All

What it the game you are must glad to have in your collection that might be worth alot or is just hard to Find
    I have final fantasy 9 still new in the plastic paid i thing 30 pound for it a few years ago but its now worth around 100 pound.
    Also i know its like a dime a dozen but i have perfect dark for the N64 still in its box and still looks ok to

How about you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Without a doubt my Sonic Crackers proto. I've been collecting Megadrive games for almost 20 years so owning something like that is really special to me.

Value wise, I would say that Zero Tolerance prototype I picked up a little while back is worth more as it's really REALLY different to the finished game. I've asked around and it definitely hasn't been dumped yet. So as far as I know right now, it's the only one that exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Emcee Kenna

No rare console stuff from me - more sought after arcade gems:

Taito New Zealand story pcb - tricky enough to find. I've seen them go for £200+ on ebay.

I have a mint condition (working) Atari Pole Position II pcb. When i say mint I really mean pristine! I do have a Pole Position II machine/cab as well but this needs some cosmetic work.

Another game that springs to mind is my Sega Power Drift pcb. Working examples of these are as rare as hens teeth to find these days. I spent two years tracking mine down and finally found one in 2005.

I also have a Sega OutRun upright machine in excellent condition. The only other person I know of who has a working OutRun in Ireland is Mitch (Mitchomagic on this forum) and his is the Deluxe Sit-down variant. I'd love to know of anyone else in Ireland who has an OutRun machine?

I do have other arcade stuff but for me the above games stand out as being either collectable or scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

They really sound great i really did not think people would have such big machines they must be really hard to come by.Collecting mega drive games for 20 years is class i always wished i kept on to mine now it was my first console and loved it

Master of the Universe

Nice! Did you get that Outrun in Ireland or was it imported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Emcee Kenna

o1s1n,
    the OutRun was bought in Ireland - I couldn't believe I finally tracked one down! The monitor wasn't working, the pcb was missing, steering wheel emblem and steering return springs were missing etc. I already had a spare OR emblem and OR pcb and that I used in my Turbo OutRun cab so I just had to track down another Wells Gardner monitor.

The OutRun pcb was imported in from the states in 2003.

That operator had plenty more gems in there (2006) but were commanding big $$$...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't choose between two I have. Panzer Dragoon Saga would be one. Unboxed but I got it for 20 euros with a load of other saturn games and it's my favourite game ever. Quite rare and expensive.

The other is Suikoden 2. Got this for free from a mate in Konami. It's in perfect nick and worth a lot of money. Was also my favourite game ever for a while and the first game to give me a slap on the face and realise FFVII is no where near the best videogamelet alone RPG ever.

I've also a few promos, not sure if the are worth anything. Silent Hill 2, Symphony of the Night, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Vandal Hearts 2 and a few more.

Retro that must be a great RPG i still have final fantasy 7 as my fav game of all time let alone RPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Up till a few days ago I had 2 boxed copies of Perfect Dark :p

I lack anything of really crazy value, probably Shenmue 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia being my most valuable games. I wish I had the smarts to hang onto my games when I was younger, getting peanuts on trade ins for things that are worth a lot now is soul-crushing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dmcdante wrote: »
    Retro that must be a great RPG i still have final fantasy 7 as my fav game of all time let alone RPG

Panzer Dargoon Saga and Suikoden 2 are amazing RPGs. If you want three amazing RPGs that I'd rate better than FFVII but won't break the bank then go for Persona 3, Persona 4 and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Although I'd rate FFVI, FFIX, Chrono Trigger and a few more common JRPGs ahead of FFVII.

Tell me about it landsleaving alot of ps1 games kept their value well also i wish i put up more of a fight when my mam throw away my mega drive and games and my pokimon N64

• Advertisement

In terms of consoles well most valuable would probably be my Saturn, although it's more valuable to me really. It's japanese, chipped and has a 4 in 1 cart meaning it can play anything and for the very rare and expensive games you can just 'make back ups'. One of the best gaming experiences I had was learning just how good a console was once you discovered the excellent japanese exclusives.

Thanks Retro i have must of the Shin Megami Tensei games and loved persona 4 but i think it is more that final fantasy 7 was the first RPG i played and cleared and i still listin to the soundtrack on my mp3 player always loved that chocobo song ;)

Master of the Universe

o1s1n,
    the OutRun was bought in Ireland - I couldn't believe I finally tracked one down! The monitor wasn't working, the pcb was missing, steering wheel emblem and steering return springs were missing etc. I already had a spare OR emblem and OR pcb and that I used in my Turbo OutRun cab so I just had to track down another Wells Gardner monitor.

The OutRun pcb was imported in from the states in 2003.

That operator had plenty more gems in there (2006) but were commanding big $$$...

Must be extremely satisfying putting a cab back together like that! Nothing nicer than seeing something returned to it's former glory :) Fair play to you.

If we're including consoles it's between my Neo Geo AES, uber modded Sega Nomad and Vectrex. The Vectrex really is getting a lot of attention. I'll never get bored of that thing.

!!!

That reminds me, candy cab on Saturday!

We may have a new jewel...!

Thanks Retro i have must of the Shin Megami Tensei games and loved persona 4 but i think it is more that final fantasy 7 was the first RPG i played and cleared and i still listin to the soundtrack on my mp3 player always loved that chocobo song ;)

Yeah it was my first one as well but I eventually got over the nostalgia factor. I still think it's an amazing game but overrated.

Also I hope dmcdante is in reference to old school dante and not emo dante :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

As far as games go the rarest ones I have are probably tiny toons: scary dreams* on the gba, monster rancher on the ps1, sonic adventure 2 anniversary edition, along with a good few other 'normal' ones: FF 7&8 black label, FF 4,5&6, harmony of dissonance and aria of sorrow for the gba. Oh and Cool Cool Toon for the dreamcast, not sure how hard to find that actually is though.

Console-wise, the gems of my collection are my boxed virtual boy (with 8 CIB games), my boxed Japanese R7 dreamcast, my boxed famicom edition GB micro and my boxed famicom disk system

*scary dreams was developed by treasure and was released in Europe under a different name, but was shelved at the last minute in the US...then like 3 years later some copies surfaced on eBay. I found a cart-only copy in a gamestop in Florida a couple of months ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Pffft.

The game I must proud to have in my collection is probably Pro Evolution Soccer 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Tell me about it landsleaving alot of ps1 games kept their value well also i wish i put up more of a fight when my mam throw away my mega drive and games and my pokimon N64

The pokemon N64 going is harsh, there was one up on adverts for around €100 recently. It's nice to know someone shares my pain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've nothing especially rare in my collection. I've got Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the Xbox, a sealed copy of Pikmin on the Gamecube, Christmas Nights, Pokémon box (not especially rare, just not too common), Rakuga Kids (No idea if it's rare but there's none on ebay) and that's all off the top of my head. I'm sure I've a few others. Some of my favourite things are my Jap Gamcube, All my Pokémon stuff, Nes edition GBA SP, Boxed clear purple N64 and and some more stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

rarest thing i have is FF6 jap for the snes, not very rare but rare enough, havent seen on on ebay since.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

No rare console stuff from me - more sought after arcade gems:

Taito New Zealand story pcb - tricky enough to find. I've seen them go for £200+ on ebay.

I have a mint condition (working) Atari Pole Position II pcb. When i say mint I really mean pristine! I do have a Pole Position II machine/cab as well but this needs some cosmetic work.

Another game that springs to mind is my Sega Power Drift pcb. Working examples of these are as rare as hens teeth to find these days. I spent two years tracking mine down and finally found one in 2005.

I also have a Sega OutRun upright machine in excellent condition. The only other person I know of who has a working OutRun in Ireland is Mitch (Mitchomagic on this forum) and his is the Deluxe Sit-down variant. I'd love to know of anyone else in Ireland who has an OutRun machine?

I do have other arcade stuff but for me the above games stand out as being either collectable or scarce.

I have Out Run, but it's here in Japan rather than back in Ireland (I shipped all my PCBs, games, records etc. over here). It's the PCB, with a big JAMMA harness I put together, with modified PC steering wheel and pedals. It works quite well actually, though the gearstick has to be held up for the low gear. There's no way I could fit a full machine in the house, and my wife would kill me.

I've been looking for a Power Drift PCB too, since I can use the same harness. The guy who sold me the Out Run says he's got one, but hasn't found it yet.

I have 173 PCBs, so a few highlights are:
    Ben Bero Beh - rare Taito game
    Forgotten Worlds - don't have the spinners unfortunately
    Gauntlet - JAMMAtized
    Guwange
    Psychic 5
    Psycho Soldier
    Punch Out!! - I've JAMMAtized this and wired this up to two monitors
    Rainbow Islands
    Sky Kid Deluxe
    Solomon's Key
    Speed Racer - with steering wheel and pedal
    Splatter House
    The FairyLand Story - rare pre-Bubble Bobble Taito game
    The Ninja Warriors - uses three monitors

In terms of home systems, I have my Odyssey and Vectrex on the way from Ireland by ship, and over here my FM Towns and X68000 collections.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My crown jewel used to be my Vectrex, but now every one and his ma has one! :(

I guess my stone cold things of eternal beauty (SCTOEB) would have to include the likes of a complete Castlevania SOTN, Kurushi, Kula World, Steel Battalion with controller, my Nuon with Tempest 3000, my Virtual Boy and my copy of the awesome Streets of Rage (only kidding!)

Master of the Universe

an_turtar wrote: »
    Guwange

Nice! I'd say that set you back a few quid. It's one game I'd really love to pick up.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My crown jewel used to be my Vectrex, but now every one and his ma has one! :(

Haha! awh..they're as common as muck now. There'll be one under every Christmas tree on the 25th of next month.
    I guess my stone cold things of eternal beauty (SCTOEB) would have to include the likes of a complete Castlevania SOTN, Kurushi, Kula World, Steel Battalion with controller, my Nuon with Tempest 3000, my Virtual Boy and my copy of the awesome Streets of Rage (only kidding!)

Oh yeah, I always forget my ps1 games. Have a couple of the above you mentioned -SOTN & Kurushi. Also have some other hard to find ones like Future Cop LAPD, Devil Dice, Vib Ribbon, The Raiden Project..can't think of the rest but there are more!

Have some interesting Snes stuff, from the usual sought after games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Turtles in Time to things like Final Fight Guy that was rental only.

The rarest retail games I'd have would be my Megadrive ones. With Megaman The Wily Wars probably topping the list. Followed by Tectoy Duke Nukem 3D, Ecco Jr (PAL), Alien Soldier..actually feck it, I took a pic of my more interesting MD games a while back, here you go :D. There are a few extra additions to the collection that aren't there. Off the top of my head my new PAL Gunstar Heroes..you'll have to make do with the ugly red NTSC one in this photo.

DSC_01181.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ado Glass

Have some great MegaDrive & MasterSystem games boxed with manuels like new. Not sure about rareness,but still some gems!
    The Hurricanes (remember the cartoon?), Syndicate, Handball 3 (Comes in cardboard box!) PitFighter, Prince of Persia, Flashback, Lazer Ghost with the gun, Pro Wrestling, list goes on! :)

Retro has to be old dante that new dante just looks wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Trying to think...

Probably my Panasonic Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Nothing really rare here

Can i say my entire megadrive collection?

But my favorite thing is my mint JAP CIB copy of Super Shinobi II, just one awesome game!

Ihavent gotten anything much new in months, beeing paying a huge chunk of my wages off a car every week.

But after christmas when i have it paid off, it beings again!!!

Ah I know, might not be rare, but still, Ive over 150 mega n master system games, surely i must have a few rare ones, ill have a look when i go home, cant think off hand. Ive just started a new job, so im thinkin, maybe treat myself to one or two gems a month on ebay, start displaying the games in the living room on the book shelf!They deserve it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

NOOO dont do that!

The sunlight will fade the box inserts! Keep them in a cool dry place! besides only the privlaged few should see your collection!

Got ya! Never taught of that! :/So what your saying is Quality over Quantity! The collection is mostly my own from years ago, havnt done any 'collecting' so to speak, but am Deffo gonna start trying to add a few gems and bolster the collection! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

best i have is my cadillacs and dinos one of my all time favorit games ,was a bitch to get one at an ok price ! and my initial d sitdown that i love.I swap the system out and switch it over to outrun 2 every now and then for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

My crown jewel is either Metal Slug for the AES or Megaman - The Wily Wars for the megadrive.

I have Out Run, but it's here in Japan rather than back in Ireland (I shipped all my PCBs, games, records etc. over here). It's the PCB, with a big JAMMA harness I put together, with modified PC steering wheel and pedals. It works quite well actually, though the gearstick has to be held up for the low gear. There's no way I could fit a full machine in the house, and my wife would kill me.

I've been looking for a Power Drift PCB too, since I can use the same harness. The guy who sold me the Out Run says he's got one, but hasn't found it yet.

Ben Bero Beh - rare Taito game
    Forgotten Worlds - don't have the spinners unfortunately
    Gauntlet - JAMMAtized
    Guwange
    Psychic 5
    Psycho Soldier
    Punch Out!! - I've JAMMAtized this and wired this up to two monitors
    Rainbow Islands
    Sky Kid Deluxe
    Solomon's Key
    Speed Racer - with steering wheel and pedal
    Splatter House
    The FairyLand Story - rare pre-Bubble Bobble Taito game
    The Ninja Warriors - uses three monitors

In terms of home systems, I have my Odyssey and Vectrex on the way from Ireland by ship, and over here my FM Towns and X68000 collections.

That's some collection of obscurities. I'm impressed.

WOW metal slug for the aes just looked on amazon and they are selling one for 1550 pound that is some money for a game

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

WOW metal slug for the aes just looked on amazon and they are selling one for 1550 pound that is some money for a game

To be honest with you my copy is a convertion and would cost around 10% of that but think it is the most I have ever spent on one game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And yet, even though we all have fun comparing rarities, the game that has provided me with the most enjoyment over the years was, and is, Super Mario World on the Snes, and that's as common as Jordan.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    best i have is my cadillacs and dinos one of my all time favorit games ,was a bitch to get one at an ok price ! and my initial d sitdown that i love.I swap the system out and switch it over to outrun 2 every now and then for a change!

Niiiiiice, I've never come across Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for sale. Would love a board of that.
    Super Mario World on the Snes, and that's as common as Jordan.

Currently playing through that again at the moment. Haven't played it in years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

My Commodore 116 with 1551 drive.
    My complete C64/C128 Infocom "greybox" collection.
    C64 Block Hopper cartridge (2 others known to exist)
    Er, bit of a pattern forming here, huh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

o1s1n wrote: »
    Niiiiiice, I've never come across Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for sale. Would love a board of that.
    took alot of searching and various attempts,h pretty expensive board these days though !i think i missed one that was for sale in about 4 years of searching !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

This isnt really retro (yet!) so i dont know if it counts but its probably the rarest game related thing i own.. so far, its worth a few quid too according to ebay, think i seen it on there for 600 quid.

Its a media kit for god of war 3, comes in a wood box with a swipe of "blood" across the front. The girlfriend rang me when it arrived and wouldnt open it, thinking there was going to be a finger or something inside it.

godofwar3.jpg

My friend gets a load of those types of things as well. Sony and other companies seem to be sending them out to anyone with a blog that applies to have review copies sent to them.

• Advertisement

Yeh thats how i got it, for the site. Its prob the most impressive looking one so far.

I like the Heavy Rain one that my friend gave me a lend of as well. Nice the way it's just folded cardboard considering the whole origami killer element.

Time to start a blog me thinks....
    Hmm, Cidermans retro view, where everything counts in large amounts, excepting side scrolling beat'em ups and japanese dating sims....
    Might have to pare that title down a bit, then...
    Roll on the free games!!!

Time to start a blog me thinks....
    Hmm, Cidermans retro view, where everything counts in large amounts, excepting side scrolling beat'em ups and japanese dating sims....
    Might have to pare that title down a bit, then...
    Roll on the free games!!!

Honestly the amount of crappy blogs I've seen getting review copies and free trips that I'm pretty sure you could easily get away with it.

[serious suggestion]

A&R blog anyone?

[/serious suggestion]

Theres definitly an audience for that, would be hard to get review copys for it though considering they are all older games!. gamingliberty do a great retro review, retro are you the same guy who does those reviews?

Edit, ill just add i have plent of hosting and can throw a site together no problem if anyone here wants me to set one up, i can give everyone access to post etc.

Well we could also do new games and do the podcast that was talked about too.

I have the new games part covered already ;) i dont think i could get away with another site reviewing new games! double copys of everything haha

keithgeo wrote: »
    gamingliberty do a great retro review, retro are you the same guy who does those reviews?

Nope not me. Used to write for game.ie to but left to finish my phd before they got big and started click magazine and working for phantom fm and the evening herald. My own crappy blog is in my signature. Loads of ideas but with writing a thesis don't have the time to write them down.

A retro blog we can add articles and reviews to would be good. 1ups retronauts blog used to be very good for that were all the writers for 1up could go on and add a post. Gamespite is similar,it's runby Jeremy Parish but the articles are from other contributors.

I think it would be best to do one all about retro games and retrospectives, there's enough irish review blogs out there. Really want to give the podcast idea a go and the only thing stopping me from doing this is getting my hands on a good omnidirectional microphone!

if you guys want we can get a domain, i can setup a wordpress site, skin it etc and give you all access to post whatever you want. let me know if anyone is interested i have no problem doing that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement