Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your crown jewel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why isn't something like that God of War 3 promo the NORMAL Limited edition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's Sony's way of basically giving the press fellatio in the form of goodies and shiny packaging that will sell for loads on ebay for good reviews. Sure my friends from Click were telling me they get taken for stuff like mystery weekends or holidays and then sat in a room for 8 hours to beat the game being promoted for review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The blog sounds like a fun idea, I don't think I'd have the knowledge of some other posters, but I'd defeintely be willing to contribute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cool, if there is a few intrested ill set it up, we need a domain name too, maybe a new thread outside of this one would be best if someone wants to start one up as its off topic i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Retroplayer is a good writer - decent guy too, posted me a copy of Army of Two PSP. Link to your site in your sig is broken, Keith.

Companies have to get the "opinion-makers" (media) on-side. You can trace 95% of people's opinion in person, online, on forums, facebook or communicated anywhere else to a source in a media publication. If more than less sources state that your game is not good, then more rather than less people will have the perception that your game is not good.

A dream of mine is to code such a sophisticated plagiarism-detection program that I could trace (I can make good guesses at the moment) what a poster reads that empowers him/her to post such unadulterated crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Retroplayer is a good writer - decent guy too, posted me a copy of Army of Two PSP. Link to your site in your sig is broken, Keith.

Cheers, fixed now i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pity for them that I don't listen to professional reviews then :p

Anyway, here's my PS2 collection.
    I'm proud of it for 2 reasons:
    1. Every game is good enough to play through twice.
    2. I spent no more than €35 on each (and generally, €10-15).

It's not much mind (and blurry as hell... damn winter lighting!)
    Kiki1.jpg

(LTR) Broken Sword: The sleeping dragon; Digaea; FF X-2; FF XII; Kingdom Hearts, Klonoa 2; Okami; Persona 3; Persona 3 FES; Persona 4; Suikoden V.
    Capcom VS SNK 2 (x2); KOF Neowave; Marvel VS Capcom 2; NeoGeo Battle Coliseum; Soulcalibur II; Street Fighter Alpha Anthology; SVC Chaos; Tekken 4; Tekken 5; Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.
    Alien Hominid; Devil May Cry 3; Killer 7; MGS2 Sons of Liberty; MGS3 Snake Eater; Oni; Psi-Ops; Psyvariar complete collection; Ratchet & Clank 3; The Red Star; R-Type Final.

Kiki2.jpg

Timesplitters 2; Zone of the Enders; Beyond Good and Evil; Ico; Shadow of the Colossus; Psychonauts; God Hand; Gregory Horror Show.
    The Mark of Kri; Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2; Manhunt; Maximo; WipeOut Fusion; GT4; Tony Hawk's Whatever.
    Gitaroo Man; Guitar Hero; Fantavision; Lumines Plus; Mad Maestro; PuyoPuyo Fever.
    (missing: Rez (PS2), other consoles)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to agree that professional reviews can throw you off a really good game or recommend a bad one. Didn't think much of GTA4 despite it getting stupidly high reviews. Also reading hardcore gaming 101 I'm discovering a lot of games that got a bit of a hammering by the press that turned out to be amazing. For example Contra Shattered Soldier is one of the best side scrolling shooters ever made and got rated lower than Alien Hominid which I thought was kind of crap. Eurogamer was the only one brave enough to mark it down (which was a surprise). It seemed to get good reviews by the fact that it was indie developed but a bad games a bad game no matter who makes it. Same deal again with Gradius V.

I remember the Darkness getting great reviews as well. Bought it since I was FPS starved at the time and it ended up being the only game that was so bad that I owned that I traded it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember the Darkness getting great reviews as well. Bought it since I was FPS starved at the time and it ended up being the only game that was so bad that I owned that I traded it back.

Yep I learned a lesson after buying that pile of garbage on the back of reasonable reviews, popped that sucker into the Xbox and was left mouth a gape at how completly sh1te it was:D

• Advertisement

Couldn't believe it myself. The writing was a bit crap, supposedly it was a strong point and the shooting mechanics were just teribble. The AI was so bad that it made me laugh a few times :)

Agreed it was a total abomination.
    As for an even worse game for Xbox 360 was Turning point fall of liberty I bought that pile of dung second hand for €15 and it actually made the Darkness look kinda playable.

Heard it was bad so had no intention of playing it. The only other game that I thought was worse than the Darkness was Kane and Lynch which I also traded in.

Heard it was bad so had no intention of playing it. The only other game that I thought was worse than the Darkness was Kane and Lynch which I also traded in.

My god Kane and Lynch is absolute garbage I tried playing co-op with a mate and I have never wanted to smash the Xbox so much in ly life. The controls are broke the story line is rubbish and to top it off the players can get stuck in different zones which inevitably leads to the death of one player with no possible chance of revival.

Yeah it was a real shame. I loved Freedom Fighters and as a spiritual successor to freedom fighters K&L really shouldn't have been so bad.

Never played Freedom Fighters though I did try pick it up a while ago but couldn't locate it anywhere.
    What really let K & L down was the controls it was just an unpleasant experience with a feeling like you had to force every single movement, the camera was also sh1te but what really grinds my gears is the game making you do a tutorial for every weapon for about 10 minutes as if we're some kind of novice gaming idiots

• Advertisement

Freedom Fighters is basically a more advanced Kane and Lynch. I'm pretty sure they are running on the same engine. The aiming is a lock on system which sounds crap but it's because the game isn't about shooting but more on team tactics. Every encounter usually involves masses of troops that are well entrenched and in cover and you have to find a way of flanking the enemy so they are vulnerable so it'smuch more satisfying. It's the same team controls as in K&L except in Freedom Fighters you actually have to use them. Also each area is about 3-4 levels that you can jump between. Taking out the helicopter landing area in one level means that the Hind D in the other level that's mowing down your troops is gone. Taking out the special forces base means the other areas are free of the much tough special forces untits. It makes for a much more interesting game.

Well it sounds much better than K & L which is run over there shoot that duck behind that and repeat till bored out of your mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Freedom Fighters is great, its available across most of the last gen consoles.
    The last gen, especially the PS2 had a wonderful and there are some other crackers PsiOps and particularly Second Sign were stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

My games collection is pretty modest. Although I have a couple of gems that stand out and I'll never part with.

Some gems in my collection include FF7 black label and Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence. Although that's from my own point of view becuase they're great games.

My peace de la resistance is Snatcher for the Sega CD (PAL version). Probably the best 8-9 hours of gaming I've ever experienced and well worth the money.

Rather than emulate a game like Snatcher, I like the whole genuine retro experience so I bought it. As a result, it gave me a good excuse to purchase a Mega Drive and Mega CD on top of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

Panasonic Q from Adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

DickyC wrote: »
    Panasonic Q from Adverts.ie

what is that exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

batari wrote: »
    what is that exactly?

panasonicq.jpg

Released only in Japan afaik, plays DVDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd love one of them buy they sell for stupid amounts of money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I paid 200euro. I bought it off a real nice guy in town, it is in mint condition complete with everything. He only played it once or twice himself, I thought it was a fair price considering what the were at launch. gathered a lot of stuff over the years but it is my favourite by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Augmerson wrote: »
    Released only in Japan afaik, plays DVDs.

Did they not get a US release? I could have sworn they did. But maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

I found mine in a bargain bin in a small games shop, cost about 25 euro at the time. It's much harder to find the special Gameboy Player for it, I've never seen one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Has to be either FF7, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, or Ico.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Has to be either FF7, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, or Ico.

Seriously?
    Did her death really make you blub?

I just couldn't stand all the line dancing, oh sorry, I mean the battles.. ;)

Aeris death: Square's response to Sega's Phantasy Star 4. Sega managed to make an emotionally heartwrenching RPG that bettered anything Square ever did and had one of the most heartbreaking death scenes of any videogame. Square copied it and failed to come close.

Could be me jumping to my own conclusions but I remember Square acknownledging Phantasy Star 4 as an amazing game somewhere?

I was more emotionally connected to the Colossi I was slaughtering in SOTC, and the whole world of Ico tbh.
    But overall, the feelings that overcame me when I finally nailed that big Cyberdemon fecker in Doom, now that was an emotional moment!

• Advertisement

Yeah FF7's death scene did get to me but looking back it was a bit cheap although at the time I hadn't experienced anything like that in a game before. Don't know how anyone cried though? Only tiem I came close was the end of Suikoden 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Did her death really make you blub?

I just couldn't stand all the line dancing, oh sorry, I mean the battles.. ;)

Yes, of course I cried. Luckily it was my special time of the month, so I have an excuse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

i took out the crap that people seem to go mad for,now for a bonus point can anyone guess what makes that edition of street fighter II valuable,i upload the answer in a min...

DSCF9226.jpg

Because it's for an 8-bit micro and terrible?

Close...

I've a C64 version. If it's valuable then that PoS is going straight on ebay! :)

Master of the Universe

I weep for those consoles. They should belong to someone who'll appreciate them :p

I've a C64 version. If it's valuable then that PoS is going straight on ebay! :)

I had that game on C64 it's utter garbage but someone stole it (was it you Retr0)

Close but,its this version,very rare-
    DSCF9227.jpg

• Advertisement

I paid full price for it the week it came out and wept uncontrollably when I realised that my smug megadrive and snes owning friends had gotten the upper hand yet again :'(

Even worse than the C64 version it's the Speccy 128 version

Ah now I see. A speccy 128K game in the 90's isn't exactly a thing you'd see a lot of. Hmm... is it unreleased by any chance?

Ah now I see. A speccy 128K game in the 90's isn't exactly a thing you'd see. Hmm... is it unreleased by any chance?

no,very small quantities

Thats hilariously bad, not as good as the Gameboy version though

pdbhp wrote: »
    Thats hilariously bad, not as good as the Gameboy version though

20 mins loading time to add..

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Who cares if it's rare, it'll break down and degrade over time. It won't give you super powers or cure world hunger. It won't make you immortal.

Etc etc.

Might as well just give it all to me to destroy for you.

>_>

<_<

20 mins loading time to add..

The good old days!
    Used to love the loading screens on C64 with the wild music just so sweet

Looks better than the C64 version. At least the sprites aren't 8 pixels high and the backgrounds are actually recognisable.

Master of the Universe

It seemed like it went on forever too didn't it? I'd go off and play with some toys for an aeon..then come back and it would still be loading.

Looks better than the C64 version. At least the sprites aren't 8 pixels high and the backgrounds are actually recognisable.

Yes the sprites were nice and the charachters were well drawn but it still was a piece of crap. I think there's too much going on for the Speccy to handle

• Advertisement
Advertisement