Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your crown jewel

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh noes! Nobody quoted Stone Roses and he's deleted all his posts again.

How odd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol with the posts going awol again. I can understand rare games commanding high prices if they are actually worth playing, but that looked horrendous to play. The Amiga version of SF2 was utter tripe too (came on 14 disks I think) so I can't imagine the pain of playing the C64/Speccy versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worst case of loading I've ever seen was Darkman on the C64. It wasn't all that bad of a game and the initial load was short enough. Anyway once you get through the first 3 levels or so, which if I remember correctly all loaded seperately you had to load the next level. After 20 minutes you were told to turn the cassette over, rewind it and continue loading. I thought the game had crashed after this. However I persevered and after another 50 minutes the game finally loaded. I took a few steps forward and was gangrpaed by the first few enemies and lost my last life. Over an hour of loading for about 10 seconds of gameplay.

Master of the Universe

A lot of it comes down to people wanting complete collections. If the game was released officially for the console and you want a complete collection..well..you need to get it! Even if there were only 10 copies made and it looks, plays and sounds like a turd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pdbhp wrote: »
    Yes the sprites were nice and the charachters were well drawn but it still was a piece of crap. I think there's too much going on for the Speccy to handle

The C64 version was utter tripe to play as well so both the same on the gameplay front. However the Speccy version actually looks like Street Fighter so wins for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Worst case of loading I've ever seen was Darkman on the C64. It wasn't all that bad of a game and the initial load was short enough. Anyway once you get through the first 3 levels or so, which if I remember correctly all loaded seperately you had to load the next level. After 20 minutes you were told to turn the cassette over, rewind it and continue loading. I thought the game had crashed after this. However I persevered and after another 50 minutes the game finally loaded. I took a few steps forward and was gangrpaed by the first few enemies and lost my last life. Over an hour of loading for about 10 seconds of gameplay.

I had that game, I loved it but you under exagerrated the loading times cos I remember them being measured with a calander:D

pdbhp wrote: »
    I had that game, I loved it but you under exagerrated the loading times cos I remember them being measured with a calander:D

You know what, I was going to say it took over an hour to load that level when you turned the tape over but thought it was an exaggeration, but I seemed to remember laughing about it with my brother and betting on it if it had locked up or was still loading and I seemed to remember it took nearly 90 minutes. Thought that seemed reidiculous so I I made a lower guess-timate :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hahaha class, that sort of torture brings back fond memories of silly load times and waiting for the loading screen to flicker to the game screen only for it to crash. Rest counter, rewind tape and start again. We knew no better then, can you imagine a kid today of similar age having to sit through that.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    A lot of it comes down to people wanting complete collections. If the game was released officially for the console and you want a complete collection..well..you need to get it! Even if there were only 10 copies made and it looks, plays and sounds like a turd.

Ah fair play if some folk have that completion addiction. I collect with the plan to play the games, even if I have feck all time and they'll remain unplayed for a while. :pac:

You know what, I was going to say it took over an hour to load that level when you turned the tape over but thought it was an exaggeration, but I seemed to remember laughing about it with my brother and betting on it if it had locked up or was still loading and I seemed to remember it took nearly 90 minutes. Thought that seemed reidiculous so I I made a lower guess-timate :)

It was a long load alright.
    I remember once me and my neighbour were playing it and after what seemed like a lifetime it loaded, just then there was a power cut and it crashed, I can safely say it was one of the most harrowing experiences of my life, you could even say it was my holocaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

I weep for those consoles. They should belong to someone who'll appreciate them :p
    i do appreciate them,ty :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Neo Geo CD was a terrible console for all the loading, load start screen, press start, load menu screen, select single player battle, load character selection screen, select guy with giant sword, load opening animation of fight "HA HA, I will be of the killing you" or words to that effect, load actual fight, FIGHT!

Seriously, it took ages, despite the ease at getting a huge catalog of games thanks to the wonders of CD-Rs.

And you tried to convince us it was great? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Redbassist

Goldeneye for n64, its going to be worth loads later in life :P (even with the stupid wii version)

Redbassist wrote: »
    Goldeneye for n64, its going to be worth loads later in life :P (even with the stupid wii version)

Ouch! are you sure cos a few people around here will disagree;)

Second best selling game on the N64 on an indestructible cartridge coupled with the fact it's not aged well at all means I hope you aren't spending all your savings on Goldeneye carts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

The way its looking now the new mario all stars game for the wii will be worth a bit in years to come glad i got mine on day one

I'm not sure. Seems to have been plenty of copies made and collectors are fairly disgusted with it. They are even more disgusted with the PAL version were they have the inferior 50Hz PAL versions.

Master of the Universe

And you tried to convince us it was great? :P

Just until he sold it of course :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Think i read somewhere that whats left in stores now is it and that its being sold on ebay for 3 times the price might be a load of bull but sure who knows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just until he sold it of course :P

Well the loading was the only negative.
    It was a solid, reliable console with an easily obtained, massive collection of games, want to play The Last Blade but don't have a fortune to spend, get the Neo Geo CD.
    The controller was nice too.
    Aerofighters was good on it though.

I am now spoilt by my MVS system is all.

Re: Speccy loading, I had a large selection of C90s with tons of games, but depending on the cassette recorder they were copied on, you had to fiddle with the head levels of you cassette deck to get them to load, I spent an entire Sunday morning getting Atic Attack to work!

The amstrad produced models with their internal tape deck where worse,although i modded mine to bypass the deck and load from mp3.

And weird but true,some n cd games had protection on them,they are the late 90s ones..

I have an Amstrad cpc464, green screen but hoping to convince my bro to fit a RGB Din to it.
    But I would love to load games via mp3, can you give me a link?

Sorry i should had said the amstrad produced spectrums,saving on carbon footprint on new threads,i post Speccy+2 mp3 mod Link here,tiny bit of soldering involved,worth the while though

http://translate.google.es/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speccy.org%2Fforo%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D8%26t%3D1674&sl=es&tl=en

Your cpc,you could use the auld car cd tape deck adaptor method

Advertisement