Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get this done to my bath?

• 22-11-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have a bath and I'd like to get a tile surround done on it likt the one on the tubs and tiles brochure pg 203. My bath is up against the wall. If you check out the tubs and tiles brochure pg 203you will see what im looking to get done. has anyone ever got this done ans was it expensive. I have the tiles bought already. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

http://www.tubsandtiles.ie/brochure2009/

you have to build a timber frame around the bath, then clad it in cement/water board. this would allow you to fix the tiles to it. did something similar in a mates house and the hardest thing i found was to make the frame to corespond with the size of the tiles so they didnt have to be cut. he bore all the exspense so couldnt tell you what it cost.
    i also put lv lights low down so they shone across the floor and had to leave an access hatch to get to the trap and tap service valves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I have a bath and I'd like to get a tile surround done on it likt the one on the tubs and tiles brochure pg 203. My bath is up against the wall. If you check out the tubs and tiles brochure pg 203you will see what im looking to get done. has anyone ever got this done ans was it expensive. I have the tiles bought already. thanks

You don't say what the current state of your bathroom is (eg: tiling that might have to be removed from your walls first so that this new arrangement can be installed, what kind of floor you have and how this is to be merged into the new surround - or whether you want the floor tiled too, etc) so the following only takes into consideration what you've mentioned. A photo would help a better estimate//

Not necessarily in this order:

1) Visit site, figure out exact requirement, source & purchase materials and deliver back to site. 1 day

2) Strip out bath/surround/plumbing and clean up items to be reused. Alter plumbing. Construct framework for new surround. Re-install bath and reconnect plumbing. 1 day

3) Tile bath surround and wall. 1 to 3 days depending on area to be covered/amount of tile cutting involved/condition of room.

Assuming 4 days work @150 per day you're up to 600 quid for labour.

Materials: again it's dependent on the actual job. There's wood, adhesive, grout, plumbing ... ball park 150-200 quid.

PM if your interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

They look like the tiles i put on my bath, you need to build a frame around the bath, i used marine ply to sheet it, i done the tiling myself so not sure how much a tiler would charge, tiles were pretty expensive though. I also put in a drop of the mosaics behind the sink.

Some pics.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_r8-KWjPfoCE/R9pft37siuI/AAAAAAAAATM/i88OYiYSMR0/s640/DSCF0031.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_r8-KWjPfoCE/R95w2H7si3I/AAAAAAAAAFM/n-dx_GzeIeA/s640/DSCF0037.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_r8-KWjPfoCE/R-TOSaCQikI/AAAAAAAAATM/gRNUb4RTqQo/s640/DSCF0047.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lads and lasses................................

Tiling in and around the bath is great and looks the mutts nutts,BUT,1 big problem with what I got done was the the tiler forgot to put in a tiled access panel,incase I ever need or want to change the bath taps.

Id reccomend that you get a tiled access panel put in too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

paddy147 wrote: »
    Lads and lasses................................

Tiling in and around the bath is great and looks the mutts nutts,BUT,1 big problem with what I got done was the the tiler forgot to put in a tiled access panel,incase I ever need or want to change the bath taps.

Id reccomend that you get a tiled access panel put in too.;)

I agree about the access panel.

I dont have one, not the way the taps are situated, if there is ever an issue i will have to get acess from the bedroom behind it. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement