Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Obama?

• 22-11-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Obama was the beacon of hope that everyone looked to drag America out of Recession.
    Who is our equivalent? Kenny? Gilmore?
    We seem to be stuck for a charasmatic leader that people respect?
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Sure isn't that the eternal question...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I wouldn't show barrack any disrespect by comparing him to a politican in this country as of yet. No one in government stick out as of yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Look me up in 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Barack Obama is a spoofer.

We dont need another spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

red menace wrote: »
    Obama was the beacon of hope that everyone looked to drag America out of Recession.
    Who is our equivalent?

The IMF is who it seems its going to be at the moment:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I wouldn't show barrack any disrespect by comparing him to a politican in this country as of yet. No one in government stick out as of yet!

The most overrated u.s president in History.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Give me a Cameron anyday. Coalition government in the UK is getting **** done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Throw Gerry Adams in for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Obama , maybe he should grow a back bone and plough ahead with what he wants to do. We defiantly dont need an obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'd prefer someone with solid policy no matter what they looked or sounded like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

A Saviour?

Jesus Christ. The same toddler reliance that got us into this situation in the first place.

If we want a new country, we have to take charge of it.

Obama is a great media figure. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I suppose if we follow the parallells he would be called Johnny McDonagh:

"Yis we cen - boss!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Don't really think the Irish political system can give rise to such a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't think we have anyone who could be compared to Obama or Cameron. The only charismatic and sincere politicians in this country belong to parties which will never be put in power. If Joe Higgins left the SWP for a more centrist party I reckon I'd vote for him in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

How about a puppet Taoiseach, like Madonna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Did ya not see the recent mid term elections in the US OP, there's no such as thing as hope when it comes to politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Wishing for an Irish Obama. Jesus what has the world come to.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Yep I know Obama's record leaves a lot to be desired and he is slow following on from his promises,
    But when he was elected the man was godlike and could do no wrong.
    I was just curious who could fit the bill from an Irish perspective.

woe betide the new Government if we are not back in the black within 6 months, and they better not make any cuts or unpopular decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Even Obama wasn't his own country's Obama!

So we're looking for a politician who promises massive reform but doesn't deliver because of the rigid political system in place?

I reckon I like the cut of the previous poster's jib. His policies intrigue me and leave no question unanswered. I'm voting for <previous poster's username> in January!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Obama has done fuck all since he got into office. He's full of hot air.

Touted as a saviour, touted as America's first black president.

FFS. He's not even really black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's me guys. I > Obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

My cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah, the last thing we need is an Irish Obama. Obama has proven to be so far, largely ineffectual. And anyone who thinks he's actually different to all the rest of the politicians is living in a fantasy world. He's as distanced from the average man and incapable of putting his and her interests first as any other politician. He just has a better media profile than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Declan Ganley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

WIZE wrote: »
    Declan Ganley

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In fairness to the OP...

He is using the past tense, an indication that he is quite aware that the perception of O's capabilities are not what they once were.

On the downside, I don't see the merit in Ireland getting an overhyped politician.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyway, it's about fcuking time that people stopped being swayed by "charisma" and "personality". Read up on party policy and make an informed decision FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Any suggestions?

Whomever you choose, I hope they have better luck than Obama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

WTF has Obama done? Beside deliver lofty speeches with a plagarised Martin Luther King style of delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

Any suggestions?

Bridie Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Anyway, it's about fcuking time that people stopped being swayed by "charisma" and "personality". Read up on party policy and make an informed decision FFS.

every party in this country has one policy and thats to disagree with the other party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

jd007 wrote: »
    Throw Gerry Adams in for the craic.

No joke. Him and Martin may have signed off on a few death warrants but I doubt they can be bought like the rats in ZANU FF.

Feel-and-fall allow American troops to drink and smoke their bollocks off in Shannon on their way to their various war zones.
    How different is that to planting a bomb or sniping a soldier?

Dunno. Maybe napalm is more glamourous than semtex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

WTF has Obama done? Beside deliver lofty speeches with a plagarised Martin Luther King style of delivery.

http://tinyurl.com/2fl9gzk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

No joke. Him and Martin may have signed off on a few death warrants but I doubt they can be bought like the rats in ZANU FF.

Feel-and-fall allow American troops to drink and smoke their bollocks off in Shannon on their way to their various war zones.
    How different is that to planting a bomb or sniping a soldier?

Dunno. Maybe napalm is more glamourous than semtex.

Well there's a bit of a difference between the US Army and the IRA tbf. But ya I dont think Adams would be any worse than what we've got atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Smyth wrote: »
    A Saviour?

Jesus Christ. The same toddler reliance that got us into this situation in the first place.

If we want a new country, we have to take charge of it.

Obama is a great media figure. That is all.

Too much we we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Obama , maybe he should grow a back bone and plough ahead with what he wants to do. We defiantly dont need an obama

And according to you, Obama doesn't need Congress... (the US Constitution would disagree).

Obama has done fuck all since he got into office. He's full of hot air.

Touted as a saviour, touted as America's first black president.

FFS. He's not even really black.

Hedman posted a really good link a few posts above me, but here's another one:

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-kept/

He has actually done a huge amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I swear to you, if I was up there, I'd win over the nation's heart like that.

Just imagine I dramatically clicked my fingers or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

I say we just stick Jedward in the Dail for the craic...

...lord knows we need a good laugh nowadays.

Mark200 wrote: »
    And according to you, Obama doesn't need Congress... (the US Constitution would disagree).

That may be true but it now seems he will buckle on the bush tax cuts , he has looked for bi partizan agreement all the time when it is not being reciprocated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

We don't need or want an Obama. The last thing we need someone to magnify our national debt anything like he's done to theirs...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mark200 wrote: »

Here's the thing. I look at many of the items on that list.

Example: Promise # 174, "Give a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days". Or #200, "Appoint a White House Co-Ordinator for Nuclear Security". #241 "Require new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions"

And then I look at some of the items on the 'not done' list.
    #317 "Invest in transitional jobs and career pathway programs"
    #124 "Create a fund for international small and medium enterprises"
    #379 "Pay for the national service plan without increasing the deficit"
    #515 "No family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase.""
    #314 "Invest in transitional jobs and career pathway programs"

And then I listen to my local radio station, and hear it tell me that unemployment is at about 13% and not getting any better.

I don't care how many things a politician gets done, the legislation books are full of daft timewasting laws. I'm more interested in tangible results. "It's the economy, Stupid" is just as valid today as it was when first uttered back in the Clinton days.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'll be the new Obama.
    I'll win yee lot over with a 'coke and hookers for all' campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I'll be the new Obama.
    I'll win yee lot over with a 'coke and hookers for all' campaign.

I'd be happy with a job thanks. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I hear Tony Blair is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

orourkeda wrote: »
    The most overrated u.s president in History.

is it because he is black :pac:

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    is it because he is black :pac:
    Its a strong possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Paddy Obama of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

It's absolutely astonishing to me that supposedly mature, sensible adults expect instant change in such a massive country that is so beyond fvcked after the Bush era.

I mean, for god's sake people, he can't just go "Okay, we're going to change this thing today!" and poof, it's done. Nothing good comes immediately. If things are to be done right, they need to be reasoned out and thought out properly for a long-term plan. That's how the States got into that mess in the first place. Too many rash, unconsidered decisions at the expense of a nation.

Thought he gave a pretty good interview on Jon Stewart a few weeks back tbh, considering it's a comedy show. Fair play to him; if Palin's being lined up as the Republican option, he's definitely the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Adyx wrote: »
    I'd be happy with a job thanks. :(

Hoes need pimps Adyx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Paul McGrath!

• Advertisement
Advertisement