Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Shush Cinema Ruffians?

• 22-11-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Simple enough question, do you shush people in the cinema?

To me, it makes you seem like an absolute douche when you tell others to be quiet in the cinema, regardless of how loud they are.

Of course, it is equally rude to be making unnecessary noise in the cinema.

Double-edged sword eh? So, do you shush people in the cinema?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, i blast them with piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No.

I might throw them a dirty look though if they are really annoying me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't go to the cinema coz they won't let me smoke there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

From Seinfeld:

JERRY: I have to say. Those people talking behind us really ruined that movie for me.

VANESSA: Why didn't you do something?

JERRY: What do you want me to do? I have the guy the half-turn. Then I have him the full-turn with the eye roll! I mean, beyond that, I'm risking a punch in the mouth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

WITH MY FIST

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

No - i loudly yell "shut the fcuk up!!". - usually works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I carry to a long silk scarf with which I silently strangulate them from behind, no point in adding more distraction for the rest of the audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oh yeah! The threath of violence usually works.I pay my money and am willing to get my moneys worth be it on screen or off.:D
    Emo kids are the worst offenders-if you think you're too cool to watch a movie then get the fcuk outa the cinema and talk nonsense outside.Even the travellers stopped phoning each other in the cinema to be replaced by moping floppy haired idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Yep. If I've paid to see a movie, I care more about actually seeing and hearing it than whether any of the total strangers there think I'm 'a douche' for telling someone to shut it.

I completely lost it once with two girls who had repeatedly been asked to keep it down. I basically just screamed at them to STFU. It worked quite nicely. Others in the cinema seemed to appreciate it too as I received a round of applause. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I am fairly vicious in cinemas. I shush people and then I have them thrown out if they won't stop. The cinema is too expensive for people to be messing through it. Boys between like 11 and 16 are the absolute worst.

• Advertisement

I used to work in the Omniplex years ago and we used to go into the screens a few mins after films started to shush people. Shining a torch in someone's face so everyone in the cinema can see who it is, is a surprisingly effective way of shushing people.

I was in Ironman 2 when that came out and 2 twits wouldnt shut up so I walked up the back and came back in with the torch turned on, on my phone and told them there'd been complaints and to keep quiet or get out

worked a treat!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I don't go to the cinema coz they won't let me smoke there.

Go hang out under bus shelters. I hear people love that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Yep. Went to see Iron Man 2 a while ago with the missus. Young lads in the row behind kept kicking the backs of the chairs. Turned around and just said 'stop kicking the fcuking chairs'. That did the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Yep. Went to see Iron Man 2 a while ago with the missus. Young lads in the row behind kept kicking the backs of the chairs. Turned around and just said 'stop kicking the fcuking chairs'. That did the trick.
    Oh you silken tounged scamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

cml387 wrote: »
    Oh you silken tounged scamp.

Hey, when i go to the cinema i want to enjoy the film. I dont want to be distracted by eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Never shushed anyone, would feel like too much of an arse doing it. But I had people kicking my chair before and had to put a stop to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I kinda remain quiet, anger builds up and boom - shut the **** up will ya'?!

That usually shuts them up for a while but then I don't wanna seem like the yob saying it repeatedly. But there goes the shítty service provided by cinema staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

alwaysadub wrote: »
    No.

I might throw them a dirty look though if they are really annoying me!

Yeah thats what I do too, give them the stink eye. **** all good it does in the dark though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No it didn't!

We just ignored ya, ya big girls blouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't go to the cinema. Everything is online these days. Prefer the comfort of my own home and it's cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Absurdum wrote: »
    WITH MY FIST

Thats pretty kinky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I usually just shout out

'HAVE YOU NO RESPECT FOR THE THEATRE!!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Best case of this was when I went to see that Mel Gibson movie "Signs" years ago in Santry. Some Gurrier's phone starts rining and already the :rolleyes:ing is starting, we assume he is going to take it out and turn it off but no he ANSWERS IT!

"HELLLLLO......AT T'CINEMA........SIGNS............ITS SHIT."

To be fair to him that was the most entertaining thing about that trip to the cinema :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

What's a Ruffian ??? Is that someone from Ruffia ?
    Thats a bit racist no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Haven't been to the cinema in 30 years because of the louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I find the trick that works the best is to complain to the manager or whoever you can get to listen to you. They rarely throw them out so at the end of the film I seek out said manager and demand complimentary tickets for the inconvenience. Actually it hasn't worked yet...it doesn't work at all. Never mind "best".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

johnn wrote: »
    Best case of this was when I went to see that Bruce Willis movie "Signs" years ago in Santry. Some Gurrier's phone starts rining and already the :rolleyes:ing is starting, we assume he is going to take it out and turn it off but no he ANSWERS IT!
    The Mel Gibson one was also rubbish...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

The Mel Gibson one was also rubbish...:cool:

No need to doctor my posts bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

TheUsual wrote: »
    What's a Ruffian ??? Is that someone from Ruffia ?
    Thats a bit racist no ?

I think its a Russian with a lisp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Generally only if they are at it constantly. I paid to see the film, not hear some muppet trying to be funny or giving a running bloody commentary.

Snapped at a kid and his mother before an hour into a film before, kid wouldn't shut the hell up.
    That was not my proudest day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

no I tend to applaude them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

No but it infuriates me when I bring my son to the cinema with his friend to a kids film in the middle of the day and adults without children shush my son or other peoples kids. If you want to see a kids film without the inevitable noise that goes along with children then go in the evening time....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I went to see U-571 with my father and brother back when it first came out, Row of little scobies right behind us talking, which i can generally drown out, but one of them started kicking me. It eventually got too much to be kicked in the back of the head by his dirty sweaty runners so i grabbed him by the ankle and roared "If you don't stop kicking me i will break your f**king ankle and shove your foot so far up your f**king arse, so shut the f**k up!!"

My dad(the legend) turned around and said in a completely deadpan voice "She will, you know" and turned back to watch the film.

Scobies promptly got up and ran out of the cinema and i got a round of applause :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

If I thought I could take them I would sush them. So no I havent sushed anyone yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes

Advertisement