Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need pass Irish?

• 22-11-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Do you need to do pass Irish to get into college in Ireland? I go to school in Ireland and I was born here but I didn't do Irish much in primary school because of extra math classes and nobody in my family speaks it. My brother got an exemption from it in primary school...I wouldn't be able to get one now in 6th year would I?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

For everything apart from Trinity and possibly the ITs, yes you do need pass Irish minimum unless you have an exemption. It is highly unlikely you will get an exemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Pass Irish is essential for 99% of college courses in Ireland!

Exemptions are rarely given at such a late stage in secondary education ,especially if you completed junior cert irish you would be immediately rejected.

Realistically though, pass irish is extremely basic and easy to interperut with the even slightest knowledge of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Once you do the JC seemingly not going to happen according to my teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Kelix wrote: »
    Do you need to do pass Irish to get into college in Ireland? I go to school in Ireland and I was born here but I didn't do Irish much in primary school because of extra math classes and nobody in my family speaks it. My brother got an exemption from it in primary school...I wouldn't be able to get one now in 6th year would I?

Being rubbish at Irish is not an excuse from getting an exemption in that subject . All NUI colleges require a pass in OL Irish for their entry requirements. UCD is in the NUI by the way. All you have to do is just work at it, the OL Irish course isn't that hard and getting a D1 isn't hard if you have a decent attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

as far as i'm aware pass irish is not required but foundation will do for L.I.T well acording to my schools career guidence teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Pass Irish is essential for 99% of college courses in Ireland!

Not so. You don't need irish for entry to DCU because you only have to pass one of english or irish >>>> http://www.dcu.ie/registry/entry.shtml

Also, for TCD you need a pass in a language other than english so you can replace irish with french for example >>>> http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/leavingcert/

+ loads of IT courses. I'd say between dcu, tcd and the IT's they account for more than 1% of the courses in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pathway33 wrote: »
    Not so. You don't need irish for entry to DCU because you only have to pass one of english or irish >>>> http://www.dcu.ie/registry/entry.shtml

Also, for TCD you need a pass in a language other than english so you can replace irish with french for example >>>> http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/leavingcert/

+ loads of IT courses. I'd say between dcu, tcd and the IT's they account for more than 1% of the courses in Ireland.

Add UL to that list - they accept English, maths and another language which can be Irish or a foreign language.

Also all of the ITs accept English or Irish, so that is quite a lot of courses. Not quite 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

just a thought but say you have an exemption in irish, or you are nt irish. you apply for say primary teaching where you need a c3 in higher irish. is there a case to be made or do non irish speakers never get to be primary teachers in ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

just a thought but say you have an exemption in irish, or you are nt irish. you apply for say primary teaching where you need a c3 in higher irish. is there a case to be made or do non irish speakers never get to be primary teachers in ireland ?

No, you can't be a primary teacher without Irish. It's a core, compulsory part of the curriculum.

Advertisement