Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance warranty.....

Options
  • 22-11-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anyone who's bought a new washing machine etc.....Bought a new Hoover w/m last January..started having a problem with the wash selector, called for an engineer to have a look..when he came out he found 3 other faults, which we didnt even notice......
    Might be worth getting an engineer out to check before your warranty runs out....PLEASE DONT JUST make up a problem..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

what a stupid and dishonest post -

make up a fault ?

i am a service engineer and if i came to your house and was no fault you would be charged a call out fee

if you think your the first person to think this up your more stupid than i first thought

most appliances now have a pcb board in them and record the faults for access by an engineer so i hope nobody takes your advice as it will most likely cost them money

idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

knighted_1 wrote: »
    what a stupid and dishonest post -

make up a fault ?

i am a service engineer and if i came to your house and was no fault you would be charged a call out fee

if you think your the first person to think this up your more stupid than i first thought

most appliances now have a pcb board in them and record the faults for access by an engineer so i hope nobody takes your advice as it will most likely cost them money

idiot

+1

I agree, i am an idiot............for not calling them sooner...
    If you called to my house to repair my w/m and you charged me i would not be very happy AND report you...if its out of warranty then thats a different matter....ITS YOUR JOB to call if theres a fault when under warranty.....maybe you're in the wrong job if youre advising people not to report faults...or is this a scam that consumers are'nt aware of..hmm???....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sids Not wrote: »
    +1

I agree, i am an idiot............for not calling them sooner...
    If you called to my house to repair my w/m and you charged me i would not be very happy AND report you...if its out of warranty then thats a different matter....ITS YOUR JOB to call if theres a fault when under warranty.....maybe you're in the wrong job if youre advising people not to report faults...or is this a scam that consumers are'nt aware of..hmm???....:rolleyes:
    Here is what you said:
    Just a heads up to anyone who's bought a new washing machine etc.....Bought a new Hoover w/m last January..started having a problem with the wash selector, called for an engineer to have a look..when he came out he found 3 other faults, which we didnt even notice......
    Might be worth getting an engineer out to check before your warranty runs out....even if youre not having a problem..(make one up..;)
    Which is exactly what knighted_1 responded to which you went all ruffled feathers over.

Not only was his post correct you then tried to try to threaten with reporting him (woe be the repairman who follows the company policy, I'm sure the repairman will shiver in his boots about that report) and claim it's a scam and that he's in the wrong line of business when you are the one who's clearly in the wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

How could i threaten him when i dont even know him....but if someone is having a problem then i dont see a problem....
    My issue was that the machine showed faults that we didnt know about, one was temperature ,another was rinsing, cant remember the third..which could have led to something more serious (expensive) or the whole thing shutting down after the warranty ran out.....the last comment was a bit tongue in cheek.....ok i'll edit the post if it offends ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

but if someone is having a problem then i dont see a problem....

Neither do the rest of us, you were encouraging people with no problem to call out a service agent under warranty. If everyone did that the cost of appliances would rocket, knighted_1 was well in order in pulling you up on that stupid and dishonest suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How could i threaten him when i dont even know him....but if someone is having a problem then i dont see a problem....
    My issue was that the machine showed faults that we didnt know about, one was temperature ,another was rinsing, cant remember the third..which could have led to something more serious (expensive) or the whole thing shutting down after the warranty ran out.....the last comment was a bit tongue in cheek.....ok i'll edit the post if it offends ...:rolleyes:

As has been posted here numerous times. The warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.

If an appliance breaks out of warranty the shop you bought it off still has to repair it. Seeing as Knighter_1 has said that the PCB on washing machines records the faults, you'll still get it repaired for free as a washing machine should last several years so the sale of goods act can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    If an appliance breaks out of warranty the shop you bought it off still has to repair it. Seeing as Knighter_1 has said that the PCB on washing machines records the faults, you'll still get it repaired for free as a washing machine should last several years so the sale of goods act can be used.

A car should last for even longer than a washing machine but try getting a broken gearbox or any other motor part replaced for free post-warranty!

Where in the sale of goods act does it say that a retailer has to fix an appliance after the warranty expires?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

coylemj wrote: »
    Where in the sale of goods act does it say that a retailer has to fix an appliance after the warranty expires?
    In the part about the quality of the goods vs. the cost and warranty being in addition to the law (section 21 if I remember correctly, you can easily look it up though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

As has been posted here numerous times. The warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.

If an appliance breaks out of warranty the shop you bought it off still has to repair it. .

wrong - the shop has to make sure that the appliance can be repaired and serviced for a reasonable amount of time ,normally 6 years after production ceases , but at the customers expense once it out of warrenty gaurantee .

this is the part that confuses everyone .

so once the shop can direct you to a competant service company/man and direct you to spares parts thats what they have to do under law -

if its in warrenty then repairs should normallly be free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 40,227 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

wrong - the shop has to make sure that the appliance can be repaired and serviced for a reasonable amount of time ,normally 6 years after production ceases , but at the customers expense once it out of warrenty gaurantee .

so once the shop can direct you to a competant service company/man and direct you to spares parts thats what they have to do under law -

Could you point out where in Irish Consumer law that is stated?

• Advertisement

Sorry knighted but you appear to be confused now. I assume you're refering to this:
    12.—(1) In a contract for the sale of goods there is an implied warranty that spare parts and an adequate after sale service will be made available by the seller in such circumstances as are stated in an offer, description or advertisement by the seller on behalf of the manufacturer or on his own behalf and for such period as is so stated or, if no period is so stated, for a reasonable period.
    Now, on the warranty/guarantee it states
    18.—(1) Rights under a guarantee shall not in any way exclude or limit the rights of the buyer at common law or pursuant to statute and every provision in a guarantee which imposes obligations on the buyer which are additional to his obligations under the contract shall be void.
    2) An express condition or warranty does not negative a condition or warranty implied by this Act unless inconsistent therewith.
    I.e. even if there is a guarantee the statute minimum requirements are still there and can't be declared null and void; which ties in to merchantable quality.
    (2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are of merchantable quality, except that there is no such condition—

( a ) as regards defects specifically drawn to the buyer's attention before the contract is made, or

( b ) if the buyer examines the goods before the contract is made, as regards defects which that examination ought to have revealed.

(3) Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly.

(4) where the seller sells goods in the course of a business and the buyer, expressly or by implication, makes known to the seller any particular purpose for which the goods are being bought, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract are reasonably fit for that purpose, whether or not that is a purpose for which such goods are commonly supplied, except where the circumstances show that the buyer does not rely, or that it is unreasonable for him to rely, on the seller's skill or judgement.
    Bolded the most common part; of course since we're talking a failure here we then quickly move on breach of warranty (i.e. the bolded part is not as expected).
    Remedy for breach of warranty

53.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), where there is a breach of warranty by the seller, or where the buyer elects, or is compelled, to treat any breach of a condition on the part of the seller as a breach of warranty, the buyer is not by reason only of such breach of warranty entitled to reject the goods, but he may—

( a ) set up against the seller the breach of warranty in diminution or extinction of the price, or

( b ) maintain an action against the seller for damages for the breach of warranty.

(2) Where—

( a ) the buyer deals as consumer and there is a breach of a condition by the seller which, but for this subsection, the buyer would be compelled to treat as a breach of warranty, and

( b ) the buyer, promptly upon discovering the breach, makes a request to the seller that he either remedy the breach or replace any goods which are not in conformity with the condition,

then, if the seller refuses to comply with the request or fails to do so within a reasonable time, the buyer is entitled:

(i) to reject the goods and repudiate the contract, or

(ii) to have the defect constituting the breach remedied elsewhere and to maintain an action against the seller for the cost thereby incurred by him.
    In short; no, the seller has to take the cost to fix it and not only point out where it can be done OR pay the buyer the cost if they get it done themselves.

All texts are taken from here which shows the act in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    A car should last for even longer than a washing machine but try getting a broken gearbox or any other motor part replaced for free post-warranty!

The problem with cars is that they are subject to regular abuse and it's hard to prove a fault isn't user induced. I've heard of several cars being returned to the garage for issues after warranty has expired, but it was hard work to get the garage to take them back.

Washing machines,TVs etc aren't generally subject to as much user abuse and it's generally easy to see if someone has abused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

The problem with cars is that they are subject to regular abuse and it's hard to prove a fault isn't user induced. I've heard of several cars being returned to the garage for issues after warranty has expired, but it was hard work to get the garage to take them back.

Washing machines,TVs etc aren't generally subject to as much user abuse and it's generally easy to see if someone has abused it.

are cars covered by the 1980 Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

yes

Advertisement